VCPS Technology and Compatible Playback

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by spam@trash.can, Aug 21, 2004.

  1. Guest

    I have a concern that if I record programs with a broadcast flag
    that they will all be rendered useless once the original DVD Recorder
    is no longer operable. The typical life of a device is only 10 - 15
    years whereas DVDs can last up to 150 to 300 years.

    http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-04-193A1.pdf
    Should the security of a Vidi-compliant device be compromised,
    individual devices can be revoked in specific circumstances.129
    Revocation is accomplished through the inclusion of a list of
    revoked device keys in Vidi DVDs.130 At the time a consumer
    initiates the recording or playback of content, an authentication
    process will verify whether that device appears on the revocation
    list contained in the Vidi DVD.131 If so, authentication will fail
    and the device will be unable to utilize that media.132 As new
    media is released, Philips and Hewlett Packard anticipate that
    compromised devices will quickly be rendered obsolete.

    So lets say I were to record hundreds of DVD's on a dived player
    which is later compromised after 30 years of use, does that mean
    that all of my precious recordings are unusable? Wow. Has anybody
    written congress about this?

    If removable media (DVD-R for example) were recorded on a VCPS enabled
    DVD Recorder manufactured by Phillips and had a broadcast flag. Will
    the removable media be playable in other VCPS enabled players other
    then the one the removable media was recorded?

    , Aug 21, 2004