    pain to keep changing them.

    thanks

    will.
    will, May 24, 2004

  2. will

    Starkey Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 08:27:43 +1200, will <>
    wrote:

    >hi,
    >
    >which software do i need to move VCD content to harddrive (maybe in
    >MPEG)? i recently bought a bunch of VCDs (40 episodes drama), so it's a
    >pain to keep changing them.
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >will.

    get a program called a program called vcdgear it converts .dat to mpeg
    Starkey, May 24, 2004

  3. will

    Rupert Guest

    I wonder what they charge for that - given the .dat file is already an mpeg
    and will quite happily be opened by Windows Media Player.

    Rupert, May 24, 2004
  4. "will" <> wrote in message
    > hi,
    > which software do i need to move VCD content to harddrive (maybe in
    > MPEG)? i recently bought a bunch of VCDs (40 episodes drama), so it's a
    > pain to keep changing them.
    > thanks
    > will.

    You can just copy the .dat files off the vcd to the hard drive, rename them
    1, 2, 3 etc in a folder and away you go with media player

    --
    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    Southern Kiwi, May 24, 2004
  5. will

    XPD Guest

    "will" <> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > which software do i need to move VCD content to harddrive (maybe in
    > MPEG)? i recently bought a bunch of VCDs (40 episodes drama), so it's a
    > pain to keep changing them.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > will.

    Just copy the DAT files onto your HDD - done. :) Any decent media player
    will open them (although you may need to rename them to .mpg)
    XPD, May 24, 2004
  6. will

    Allistar Guest

    will wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > which software do i need to move VCD content to harddrive (maybe in
    > MPEG)? i recently bought a bunch of VCDs (40 episodes drama), so it's a
    > pain to keep changing them.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > will.

    "transcode" and "mplayer" will both do that. Both free software as well.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, May 25, 2004
  7. will

    TH1 Guest

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 09:44:54 +1200, "XPD" <>
    wrote:

    >"will" <> wrote in message
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> which software do i need to move VCD content to harddrive (maybe in
    >> MPEG)? i recently bought a bunch of VCDs (40 episodes drama), so it's a
    >> pain to keep changing them.
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> will.

    >Just copy the DAT files onto your HDD - done. :) Any decent media player
    >will open them (although you may need to rename them to .mpg)

    No, don't do that. They are not valid MPEG files, and only some
    players that know specifically about the special VCD headers can play
    them. If you confuse the issue by renaming them to .mpg, you will
    likely regret it later when you find some need to manipulate them as
    though they really were MPEG files and it fails to work on these
    files. Just use VCDGear (freeware) to convert the .dat files to real
    ..mpg files:

    http://www.vcdgear.com

    Click the "VCDGear" button, then select "dat -> mpeg" from the
    dropdown list. You can read the .dat directly from the VCD disk.

    If you already have a copy of VCDEasy for building your own VCDs, then
    that can also do the .dat to .mpg conversion.

    WARNING: VCD format CDs do not have the high level error correction
    codes on them that are on data CDs. This is how they get more data on
    a disk than on a data CD, by not burning the extra redundant error
    correction data on the disk. Therefore the only error detection and
    correction data is the sector level "C2" correction coding, which is
    adequate only for a few correcting very minor errors. So it the media
    the VCD is burned on was not absolutely top quality, there will likely
    be errors in the VCD data read from it. This can result in minor
    visual or audible distortions when playing a VCD, but is often
    unnoticeable. But when reading VCD data onto hard disk, it can cause
    the resulting MPEG files to be non-compliant with the MPEG standards
    due to errors, and can make manipulation of those files with burner
    software and editing programs (for example) either difficult or
    impossible. So if you are going to be doing anything other than just
    playing the files, it pays to do a little extra work to check if the
    files you rip from a VCD have any errors. I suggest as a start,
    ripping them twice to different directories, then using a file compare
    program to see if the two rips differ, and loading them into programs
    like VCDEasy and VirtualDub which will tell you if they find any
    errors in the MPEG format.
    TH1, May 25, 2004
  8. TH1 wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 May 2004 09:44:54 +1200, "XPD" <>
    > wrote:
    >> Just copy the DAT files onto your HDD - done. :) Any decent media
    >> player will open them (although you may need to rename them to .mpg)
    >>

    > No, don't do that. They are not valid MPEG files, and only some
    > players that know specifically about the special VCD headers can play
    > them

    Like... Windows Media Player that *comes* with Windows? :). Hardly a special
    feature, then.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, May 25, 2004
  9. will

    XPD Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > TH1 wrote:
    > > On Tue, 25 May 2004 09:44:54 +1200, "XPD" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> Just copy the DAT files onto your HDD - done. :) Any decent media
    > >> player will open them (although you may need to rename them to .mpg)
    > >>

    > > No, don't do that. They are not valid MPEG files, and only some
    > > players that know specifically about the special VCD headers can play
    > > them

    > Like... Windows Media Player that *comes* with Windows? :). Hardly a

    special
    > feature, then.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    Yeah and every other media player Ive ever come across.... hell, even my old
    Amiga would play them (albeit slowly) before it packed up :(
    XPD, May 25, 2004
  10. will

    TH1 Guest

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 08:09:01 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
    <> wrote:

    >TH1 wrote:
    >> On Tue, 25 May 2004 09:44:54 +1200, "XPD" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> Just copy the DAT files onto your HDD - done. :) Any decent media
    >>> player will open them (although you may need to rename them to .mpg)
    >>>

    >> No, don't do that. They are not valid MPEG files, and only some
    >> players that know specifically about the special VCD headers can play
    >> them

    >Like... Windows Media Player that *comes* with Windows? :). Hardly a special
    >feature, then.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Nicholas Sherlock

    I have never tried with the latest WMP, but older versions did not
    work. But that is not the real point. There are lots of players that
    will play these files now. But that leads you to believe you have
    valid files. Then when you try to edit them or burn them to a VCD
    again, the software will often object or screw up because they are
    not, in fact, MPEG files. Or worse, you give the files to someone
    else who does not know their history and they have the problems. So
    take a minute to convert them with VCDGear, and there are not going to
    be future problems.
    TH1, May 26, 2004
  11. will

    Andrew Guest