    dvd player (It says disk format not recognised) even though the player is
    only a couple of months old. How can I copy them to dvd so she can see
    them?

    Mikey, Aug 10, 2003

  2. Mikey

    mrbingley Guest

    "Mikey" <> wrote in message
    news:bh6ef4$oaa$...
    > WE have some films on vcd that for some reason won't play on my daughters
    > dvd player (It says disk format not recognised) even though the player is
    > only a couple of months old. How can I copy them to dvd so she can see
    > them?

    Try this site
    http://www.svcd2dvdmpg.com/SVCD2DVDMPG/?

    Easiest way to do it, you can fit quite a few VCDs on to DVD as well.

    Chris.

    mrbingley, Aug 10, 2003

  3. Mikey

    Dave Peters Guest

    or try some cdrw's

    basically they don't play on your daughters machine ,due some players lasers
    not recognizing cdr dyes , but cdrws are differnet so worth a try.

    Dave Peters, Aug 10, 2003
  4. Mikey

    Andy C Guest

    i had this problem too, i use tmpgenc dvd author, works for me,
    btw if u neeed to convert from svcd to dvd i recommend
    Mainconcept mpg encoder

    Andy C, Aug 11, 2003
  5. Mikey

    Mike F Guest

    "Mikey" <> wrote in message
    > WE have some films on vcd that for some reason won't play on my daughters
    > dvd player (It says disk format not recognised) even though the player is
    > only a couple of months old. How can I copy them to dvd so she can see
    > them?

    To get the VCD's working on the player, fiirst check if your DVD player can
    accept NTSC and PAL formats, most multi-region DVD players can do this. I
    had to "hack" my player to allow it to view multi-region DVD's and NTSC
    formatted VCD's. If you use TMPGEnc, a program which can encode .mpg files
    to either format, you can use the vcd's on your daughter's player.

    Check out http://www.dvdrhelp.com/divxtovcd.htm , it has links to TMPGEnc
    and other programs, and plenty of information about video formats.

    Mick

    Mike F, Aug 11, 2003
  6. Mikey

    Tydraig Guest

    Check out the laymens guide on my site

    Http://www.tydraig.homelinux.org look at the pal vcd conversion section,
    there is a dvd section at the bottom half of the page

    Tydraig, Aug 15, 2003
  7. its quite simple and not to expensive although it does take some time.

    if you are NOT familiar with messing with these files this is how I advise
    you do do it.

    in your VCD's you will see some mpegav folders

    Grab these files and move them to folder you will creat on your desktop
    called DVD

    now rename them to .mpg and give them a name that makes sense etc..

    once you have them all on your hard drive how big are they (do not exceed
    4.40 gigs roughly)

    Now go out and buy a peice of software ( if you have broadband you can buy
    and download) DVD Movie Factory 2 from www.ulead.com (available at compusa
    and I believe best buy)

    it is Excellent.

    Now their are some settings you need to play with.

    go through the steps to add your files. it will say they are way to big. no
    problem. at the bottom of the screen their are 2 icons.

    first goto the first one and then preference (might be called options)

    one of the selection boxes says good or best. select best. (you only need to
    do this once)

    now click the second icon. select CIF 352x240 first. NOW click the icon
    again and this time select customize.

    check the box that says do not convert compliant video. goto the second tab
    make the quality SLIDER all the way to the right (50) and change it from VBR
    to CBR in the middle (should say 1500) and change the audio format from what
    I think is lpcm or something like that to MPEG Audio.

    Ok all.

    thats is. (the SIZE indicater at the bottom should now show the proper size
    of the files its important to not be in the red or it will fail)

    Make your menus (quite fun actually) you can add your own backgrouns sounds
    etc..

    this program goes for $40 or $50

    now when you get to the end select record to disc and pick your dvd burner
    drive.

    if it warns you about ANYTHING throughout this process just pick whatever
    option is suggests for you to pick.

    BY the way do this right before going to bed.

    now click output.

    goto bed.

    When you wake up (or about 6 hours later if you fill the disc) you will have
    a shiny new cool dvd with menus and all.

    its a pain in the ass to have to wait but if you only have a few its the
    easiest way BY FAR. it has never made a bad disc for me yet.

    I BELIEV www.dvd-rhelp.com has a nice pictorial description of what I just
    described to you above.

    Chris Taylor
    http://www.nerys.com/