    memory? I have a Cel900 with 512 MB SDRAM cas 2 or 3 using Windows XP.
    Would a faster processor or more memory help?

    Hugh
    Hugh Sutherland, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Hugh Sutherland

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:03:10 -0400, B.Al.Zeebub witnessed another prime
    example of Darwinism when he read:

    > I am using Nero to create VCD's and it seems to take along time just to
    > encode the file before it even burns. For example a movie I D/L like
    > Terminator 3 takes an hour just to encode half of the movie. Is their a way
    > to speed this up? Faster hard drive maybe a 7200rpm ormore memory or faster
    > memory? I have a Cel900 with 512 MB SDRAM cas 2 or 3 using Windows XP.
    > Would a faster processor or more memory help?
    >

    > Hugh

    Yep. But you might be hard pushed to find a socket 370 Pentium III CPU
    unless it's second hand. Might be time for a full system upgrade or new
    put-put.
    B.Al.Zeebub, Aug 31, 2003

  3. Hugh Sutherland

    Rich Guest

    Hi just as an example, I used to have a p3 450 wiht 512mb ram and it used to
    take me about 14 hours to encode a vcd onto one disk. I know have a p4 2ghz
    with 1gb ram and it take around 3 hours if that!!!

    Rich

    Rich, Aug 31, 2003
  4. Hugh Sutherland

    Ronald Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > Hi just as an example, I used to have a p3 450 wiht 512mb ram and it used

    > take me about 14 hours to encode a vcd onto one disk. I know have a p4

    2ghz
    > with 1gb ram and it take around 3 hours if that!!!
    >
    > Rich
    >

    > "Hugh Sutherland" <> wrote in message
    > > I am using Nero to create VCD's and it seems to take along time just to
    > > encode the file before it even burns. For example a movie I D/L like
    > > Terminator 3 takes an hour just to encode half of the movie. Is their a

    > way
    > > to speed this up? Faster hard drive maybe a 7200rpm ormore memory or

    > faster
    > > memory? I have a Cel900 with 512 MB SDRAM cas 2 or 3 using Windows XP.
    > > Would a faster processor or more memory help?

    2.4 Athlon, 512 mbytes memory takes between 4 to 5 hours to rip a DVD
    Ronald, Aug 31, 2003
  5. Hugh Sutherland

    Eddie Grant Guest

    > 2.4 Athlon, 512 mbytes memory takes between 4 to 5 hours to rip a DVD

    Then that's one hell of a crap 2400+ (?) Athlon, this 1.7GHz P4 takes about
    2.5-3hrs (DVD->VCD/SVCD)
    Eddie Grant, Aug 31, 2003
  6. Hugh Sutherland

    Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:32:51 +0100, "Eddie Grant" <>
    wrote:

    >> 2.4 Athlon, 512 mbytes memory takes between 4 to 5 hours to rip a DVD
    >>

    >Then that's one hell of a crap 2400+ (?) Athlon, this 1.7GHz P4 takes about
    >2.5-3hrs (DVD->VCD/SVCD)

    I wouldn't swear to it, but I think there are different benchmarks for
    Athlons than there are for Pentiums. One thing's for sure, the A
    doesn't stand up to the P whatsoever when playing games. A 2.0GHz
    Athlon would be hard pressed to match your P4 1.7GHz in terms of
    comparison. Let me add, AFAIK.
    , Aug 31, 2003
  7. Hugh Sutherland

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:03:10 -0400, "Hugh Sutherland" <> wrote:

    >I am using Nero to create VCD's and it seems to take along time just to
    >encode the file before it even burns.

    Does it take a long time to encode the file?

    >For example a movie I D/L like
    >Terminator 3 takes an hour just to encode half of the movie. Is their a way
    >to speed this up? Faster hard drive maybe a 7200rpm ormore memory or faster
    >memory? I have a Cel900 with 512 MB SDRAM cas 2 or 3 using Windows XP.
    >Would a faster processor or more memory help?

    Probably only a faster processor.

    >Hugh

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640
    Barry OGrady, Aug 31, 2003
  8. Hugh Sutherland

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:01:19 +0100, "Rich" <> wrote:

    >"Hugh Sutherland" <> wrote in message
    >> I am using Nero to create VCD's and it seems to take along time just to
    >> encode the file before it even burns. For example a movie I D/L like
    >> Terminator 3 takes an hour just to encode half of the movie. Is their a

    >way
    >> to speed this up? Faster hard drive maybe a 7200rpm ormore memory or

    >faster
    >> memory? I have a Cel900 with 512 MB SDRAM cas 2 or 3 using Windows XP.
    >> Would a faster processor or more memory help?
    >>

    >> Hugh

    >Hi just as an example, I used to have a p3 450 wiht 512mb ram and it used to
    >take me about 14 hours to encode a vcd onto one disk. I know have a p4 2ghz
    >with 1gb ram and it take around 3 hours if that!!!

    My K6/500 with 192 megs RAM takes around ten times the running time to create a VCD.

    >Rich

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640
    Barry OGrady, Aug 31, 2003
  9. Hugh Sutherland

    Suenet Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:03:10 -0400, Hugh Sutherland wrote:

    > I am using Nero to create VCD's and it seems to take along time just to
    > encode the file before it even burns. For example a movie I D/L like
    > Terminator 3 takes an hour just to encode half of the movie. Is their a way
    > to speed this up? Faster hard drive maybe a 7200rpm ormore memory or faster
    > memory? I have a Cel900 with 512 MB SDRAM cas 2 or 3 using Windows XP.
    > Would a faster processor or more memory help?
    >

    > Hugh

    It takes a long time because your PC is all around inadequate.
    Suenet, Aug 31, 2003
  10. Would it take less time to ENCODE MPEG4 movies instead of AVI files?
    its the encoding that takes so damn long. Whatis it exactly doing?

    Hugh

    Hugh Sutherland, Aug 31, 2003
  11. Hugh Sutherland

    Lily Guest

    Hi,
    Maybe you can try WinCopyDVD, http://www.wincopydvd.com, it can copy
    your DVD to CDR as VCD/SVCD format in 30 minutes with stunning
    video&audio quality and play it on your home dvd player.

    Lily, Sep 1, 2003
  12. Hugh Sutherland

    gangle Guest

    "Hugh Sutherland" wrote
    > Would it take less time to ENCODE MPEG4 movies instead of AVI files?
    > its the encoding that takes so damn long. Whatis it exactly doing?

    It's taking a Buick, piece by piece, and converting it into a Toyota.
    It's a CPU-intensive process.

    gangle, Sep 1, 2003
  13. "Hugh Sutherland" <> wrote in message
    > I am using Nero to create VCD's and it seems to take along time just to
    > encode the file before it even burns. For example a movie I D/L like
    > Terminator 3 takes an hour just to encode half of the movie. Is their a

    way
    > to speed this up? Faster hard drive maybe a 7200rpm ormore memory or

    faster
    > memory? I have a Cel900 with 512 MB SDRAM cas 2 or 3 using Windows XP.
    > Would a faster processor or more memory help?

    On this eMachines T1090 (XP, Cel900, 128 MB SDRAM), I download AVI from my
    mom's camcorder at about 200 MB/minute. Conversion takes about 4x the
    length of the clip. Ex. a 20 minute clip (~4 GB AVI) takes about 80 minutes
    to encode with TPMGEncoder, but the MPEG-1 takes up only ~10 MB/minute.
    John Seeliger, Sep 1, 2003