VCD HELP....why wont it play ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by NZed, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. NZed

    NZed Guest

    I have had a project of burning VCDs and have found that some DVD players
    wont play them. Which is not a big problem.
    However my biggest puzzle is that they should be able to be played on a
    computer.

    Situation.
    The VCD can play on my DVD and computer ...using XP and Power DVD or Media
    One player.

    However a parent couldnt play it on his computer using Win 98 second
    edition.
    I supplied a copy of Media One and it still wont play.

    What could be the cause of the problem....why wont it play on his system ?
    CODEC problem ?
    He simply cannot read from his CD drive..it just keeps on trying to read the
    disk.

    Any suggestions as to what might be causing the problem and recomendations
    for a solution.

    Thanks

    NZed
    NZed, Nov 4, 2003

  2. NZed

    XPD Guest

    "NZed" <> wrote in message
    > I have had a project of burning VCDs and have found that some DVD players
    > wont play them. Which is not a big problem.
    > However my biggest puzzle is that they should be able to be played on a
    > computer.
    >
    > Situation.
    > The VCD can play on my DVD and computer ...using XP and Power DVD or Media
    > One player.
    >
    > However a parent couldnt play it on his computer using Win 98 second
    > edition.
    > I supplied a copy of Media One and it still wont play.
    >
    > What could be the cause of the problem....why wont it play on his system ?
    > CODEC problem ?
    > He simply cannot read from his CD drive..it just keeps on trying to read

    the
    > disk.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to what might be causing the problem and recomendations
    > for a solution.

    If its having problems actually even reading the disk let alone playing the
    files, then the disk is the problem...try different media, try burning it
    slower..... some older CDRoms dont like some CDR media etc or just dont like
    stuff thats been burnt faster than its own read speed :) (Dont ask me why,
    its just been my experience as well as a few friends)
    XPD, Nov 4, 2003

  3. NZed

    Invisible Guest

    On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 16:31:19 +1300, "NZed" <> wrote:

    >I have had a project of burning VCDs and have found that some DVD players
    >wont play them. Which is not a big problem.
    >However my biggest puzzle is that they should be able to be played on a
    >computer.
    >
    >Situation.
    >The VCD can play on my DVD and computer ...using XP and Power DVD or Media
    >One player.
    >
    >However a parent couldnt play it on his computer using Win 98 second
    >edition.
    >I supplied a copy of Media One and it still wont play.
    >
    >What could be the cause of the problem....why wont it play on his system ?
    >CODEC problem ?
    >He simply cannot read from his CD drive..it just keeps on trying to read the
    >disk.
    >
    >Any suggestions as to what might be causing the problem and recomendations
    >for a solution.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >NZed

    Can he drag & drop the .dat files to WMP? That's one way of playing them if you
    don't have a DVD drive/software.
    Invisible, Nov 4, 2003
  4. NZed wrote:
    > What could be the cause of the problem....why wont it play on his
    > system ? CODEC problem ?
    > He simply cannot read from his CD drive..it just keeps on trying to
    > read the disk.

    Media player plays the ".dat" files just fine. If he can't read the disk,
    either the media is fucked, or his reader is so old that it can't read VCD
    formatted disks.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 4, 2003
  5. "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > NZed wrote:
    > > What could be the cause of the problem....why wont it play on his
    > > system ? CODEC problem ?
    > > He simply cannot read from his CD drive..it just keeps on trying to
    > > read the disk.

    > Media player plays the ".dat" files just fine. If he can't read the disk,
    > either the media is fucked, or his reader is so old that it can't read VCD
    > formatted disks.

    Burn under 4x for old cd readers
    Don't use high speed CDR for old readers.
    The only VCD's I haven't been able to play on older systems are high speed
    CDR's.
    VCD's won't autoplay from Media Player, you need to navigate to the dat
    file.
    I set up a shortcut to it and put the default player as media player on a
    friends 'puter and it works fine. One click and your away

    --
    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    Southern Kiwi, Nov 4, 2003
  6. NZed

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <e4Fpb.4750$>,
    says...
    > I have had a project of burning VCDs and have found that some DVD players
    > wont play them. Which is not a big problem.
    > However my biggest puzzle is that they should be able to be played on a
    > computer.
    >
    > Situation.
    > The VCD can play on my DVD and computer ...using XP and Power DVD or Media
    > One player.
    >
    > However a parent couldnt play it on his computer using Win 98 second
    > edition.
    > I supplied a copy of Media One and it still wont play.
    >
    > What could be the cause of the problem....why wont it play on his system ?
    > CODEC problem ?
    > He simply cannot read from his CD drive..it just keeps on trying to read the
    > disk.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to what might be causing the problem and recomendations
    > for a solution.

    If its an old CD ROM drive that cannot read anything burned at high
    speed, try burning it at a slower speed,.
    Mainlander, Nov 4, 2003
  7. NZed

    NZed Guest

    Thanks Guys
    I am awaiting to see what the results are from my test.
    Burnt it on the slowest setting with Nero....x8
    and
    Let Nero do the formating in VCD instead of my VCD format on my video editor
    software.
    Will keep you posted.
    NZed

    NZed, Nov 5, 2003