    writing in C# later.

    What do you think about C# and it use in future? Are we going to see many
    new applications written in it? I doubt it will completely phase out VC++.
    Jake, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Jake

    DFoderick Guest

    C# = high profile, line-of-business apps, get all the
    glory, screw the prom queen, etc.

    C++ = stick you in back room and shove pizza under the door

    DFoderick, Aug 7, 2003

  3. C# is a simplification of C/C++ (like Java) so that average developers can
    create fast software solutions and call themselves C developers.

    What do you think .NET is written in? What was VB6 written in? What is
    Windows written in?

    Sorry, C/C++ is here to stay. I don't know of too many game developers or
    critical app software developers (NASA, life-medical, etc.) writing apps in
    ..NET where accuracy and performance are absolutely necessary.

    Davin Mickelson

    Davin Mickelson, Aug 7, 2003
  4. Jake

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >I don't know of too many game developers or
    >critical app software developers (NASA, life-medical, etc.)

    Not to mention all the business applications.
    Kline Sphere, Aug 7, 2003
  5. Jake

    Jake Guest

    "Kline Sphere" <T> wrote in message
    > >For example, you can't create a virtual listview to
    > >display a records in an ADO recordset.

    > Yes you can.

    Not for what we wan to do.

    > > I doubt it will completely phase out VC++.

    > There will always be C++

    I can see C# phasing out VB and some other RAD languages but C++ will remain
    the premier programming language.
    Jake, Aug 9, 2003
  6. Jake

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >> >For example, you can't create a virtual listview to
    >> >display a records in an ADO recordset.

    >> Yes you can.

    >Not for what we wan to do.

    And what may that be that is so different it cannot be done in dot
    net??
    Kline Sphere, Aug 9, 2003
  7. Jake

    Jake Guest

    We have written a virtual list view in our VC++ application that will
    display only records of a recordset that can be displayed by the listview at
    any one time, i.e. records that can fit in the listview. Whenever the user
    scrolls up or down the virtual listview will create data items for the new
    records and display them. The idea is to reduce the amount of records sent
    over the network and hence increase the performance of the listview. If you
    imagine a list of 100,000 records this could take a long time to send over a
    WAN. The recordset will exist on the database server but the virtual list
    view will only request and display a subsection of the entire set of
    records.

    I have been told that this cannot be implemented in C#. Instead we wrote a
    VC++ ActiveX control to do this.

    Jake, Aug 10, 2003