  1. As you all know VS.NET is an expensive purchase. VB.NET, on the other hand, is quite inexpensive. Looking on the Microsoft.com, I can find no compelling reason to purchase VS.NET over VB.NET if I plan to develop using VB only. Could someone set me straight on this? What's REALLY missing in VB.NET?

    I realize this is a certification forum, but what better crowd to ask?

    Brunswick
    Brunswick Lowe, Jul 30, 2003

  2. Brunswick Lowe

    Keith N Guest

    Brunswick,

    What do you intentend to develop with vb?

    Peace,
    Keith

    Keith N, Jul 30, 2003

  3. Excellent question. Mostly desktop apps and web apps. Would like the ability
    to do web services too.

    Along with that, I'd like the ability to have something at home that enables
    me to practice skills that would be covered on the exams for MCSD - VB.NET.

    Brunswick Lowe, Jul 30, 2003
  4. Minimally, I would buy VS.NET Professional Edition 2003. Here's a web site
    stating what you'll be missing.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/howtobuy/choosing.aspx

    Keep in mind that MCSD.NET exams are based primarily on the .NET CLR,
    although a few questions may arise for VS.NET, not VB.NET.

    If you want to save some serious cash when you buy VS.NET, use a
    price-saving web search engine, like:
    http://www.nexttag.com Be wary of the stores advertised at this site by
    reading customer reviews.

    Besides, it will only help you to be exposed to a bit of C# so you can truly
    understand how another language operates on top of the .NET libraries.

    BTW - be sure you are developing on Windows 2000 Pro/Server or XP Pro (not
    XP home) so you will have an IIS server to program against.

    Good luck to you.
    Davin Mickelson

    Davin Mickelson, Jul 30, 2003
  5. Brunswick Lowe

    GVaught Guest

    Well you could always go back to school or get a job as an instructor and buy the Academic version of VS.NET for about 118.00 after shipping. I believe the Academic version is equivalent to the Professional Edition.

    John S, Aug 3, 2003