VB/C# .NET vs Websphere & J2EE

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obg==?=, May 4, 2004.

  1. I'm probably going to get slammed for this question, but I'm getting conflicting information which of these technologies is in bigger demand today, and which one pays more. Any feedback/advice

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obg==?=, May 4, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obg==?=

    Eric Guest

    John wrote:

    > I'm probably going to get slammed for this question, but I'm getting
    > conflicting information which of these technologies is in bigger
    > demand today, and which one pays more. Any feedback/advice?

    It's not fair to ask people in a Microsoft forum whether .NET or Java
    is best, don't you think? I wouldn't recommend asking this question in
    a Sun or IBM forum either! It's not exactly going to be an impartial
    audience :)

    Honestly, the one you know the best is going to be worth more to you.
    If you are an expert at Java, then don't look at .NET. If you're an
    expert at .NET, don't look at Java.

    Companies want experts who know their subject well.

    To pick between these, consider your background. This is essential! If
    you have a background that's strong in PC's, and Microsoft operating
    systems, and maybe VB6 or MS VC++, then .NET is a good match.

    If you have a background in Unix or mainframes, and maybe Oracle, then
    Java is a good match.

    Your resume should show a consistent pattern of experience.

    Eric

    Eric, May 4, 2004

  3. >Honestly, the one you know the best is going to be worth more to you.
    >If you are an expert at Java, then don't look at .NET. If you're an
    >expert at .NET, don't look at Java.

    I disagree. There is no reason not to understand other technologies,
    and as there are many companies who are not tied (quite rightly so) to
    one vendor, having a [very] good understanding of these technologies
    and environments will only enhance one's knowledge and marketability.

    >Companies want experts who know their subject well.

    Absolutely.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 4, 2004