    tuning, development etc for companies.

    Which would you go for and why?

    Thank you in advance

    TKM, Oct 11, 2003

  2. TKM

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >Can someone please inform me what is the difference
    >between these two.

    Oh dear...

    Kline Sphere, Oct 11, 2003

  3. TKM

    TKM` Guest

    OH DEAR.... What is that. I just wanted to know the
    difference.

    TKM`, Oct 11, 2003
  4. TKM

    Guest Guest

    Do you know what .NET is? If so, then you would knoiw what is the difference
    between Visual Basic and VB.NET.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/productinfo/features/default.aspx

    Guest, Oct 12, 2003
  5. TKM

    Jaime Guest

    He said oh dear because there are so many differences he
    would have to write a few hundred pages at least. Go
    for .net, it's where all the technology is going.

    Jaime, Oct 12, 2003
  6. TKM

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >He said oh dear because there are so many differences he
    >would have to write a few hundred pages at least.

    I guess I should have said chalk & cheese!!

    Kline Sphere, Oct 12, 2003
  7. TKM

    Jaime Guest

    lol

    Jaime, Oct 12, 2003
  8. TKM

    Jaime Guest

    Once again there are thousands of differences. It's like
    asking what are the differences between dos and windows or
    what is the difference between Basic and vb6.

    Jaime, Oct 13, 2003
  9. TKM

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >It's like
    >asking what are the differences between dos and windows or
    >what is the difference between Basic and vb6.

    No difference they are all poor!!!

    Kline Sphere, Oct 14, 2003
  10. TKM

    Jaime Guest

    I don't know I think Microsoft made a lot from them, lol

    Jaime, Oct 14, 2003
  11. TKM

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >I don't know I think Microsoft made a lot from them, lol

    And now you now the importance of a good and ruthless marketing
    division......

    Kline Sphere, Oct 14, 2003
  12. TKM

    Tore Bostrup Guest

    Actually - VB was Bill Gates' baby. Not that he fathered it - but he
    championed it *very* strongly. He wanted a "Basic" for Windows.

    Tore.

    Tore Bostrup, Oct 23, 2003
  13. TKM

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >He wanted a "Basic" for Windows.

    .... and got basic windows.

    Kline Sphere, Oct 23, 2003
  14. TKM

    Tore Bostrup Guest

    No - he had that... :->

    Tore Bostrup, Oct 24, 2003
  15. TKM

    prijil

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    copied from vb.net heaven

    Let us see Some of the key changes requiring redesign under VB.Net compared to VB 6.0.

    Add-In Model has Changed:

    Add-Ins are still supported but the underlying extensibility object model has changed and existing add-ins will need to be rewritten. In some cases existing add-ins may no longer be needed as the new IDE is much more robust than the old IDE and also supports the creation of macros. For those that are still needed the new extensibility model is much more complete.

    Date and Time are renamed:

    In VB.Net the Today function replaces the old Date function and TimeOfDay replaces the Time function. The main difference between VB.Net and earlier versions is that Date/Time values used to be stored as double-precision values and could be manipulated directly. In VB.Net the internal format for dates and times has been changed and is not directly accessible.

    File I/O statements have changed:

    The VB.Net language does support some basic file I/O operations in the form of functions:

    Open:

    FileOpen(Channel, FilePath, OpenMode, OpenAccess, OpenShare, RecordSize)
    Read data:

    FileGet(Channel, DataBuffer, RecordNumber, ArrayIsDynamic, StringIsFixedLength)
    Input(Channel, DataBuffer)
    DataBuffer = LineInput(Channel)

    Write data:

    FilePut(Channel, DataBuffer, RecordNumber, ArrayIsDynamic, StringIsFixedLength)
    Print(Channel, DataBuffer)
    PrintLine(Channel, Data{, Data...})
    Write(Channel, Data{, Data...})

    Close:

    FileClose({Channel{,channel...}})
    Reset() ' close all files

    Strings in VB.Net:

    The String data type and basic string operations are essentially unchanged in VB.Net. Strings are still unicode and can be manipulated as in earlier versions. Due to the nature of the object-oriented underpinnings of dotnet, however, there are some new performance considerations and some new ways to do things.

    Once created, a String in VB.Net is immutable which means that it cannot be modified. That sounds contradictory but what it really means is that any time you make a change to a string value the original string is destroyed and a new string is created. The same was essentially true in earlier versions of VB except that the MID statement could be used to modify an existing string without needing to allocate an entire new string in memory. This technique was frequently used to provide a performance boost but is no longer possible. The MID statement is still supported syntactically but it still creates a new string.

    Controls have been redesigned with many properties/methods removed or renamed.

    For example the Listbox control in VB 6.0 presented a list of text strings to the user for selection. The VB.Net Listbox control is much more powerful in that it holds an array of objects instead of just strings. The display can be set to present any property of the objects (all objects must expose the same property name) and the click event returns a reference to the individual object. The control also supports using multiple columns, tab stops and sorting on demand.

    DAO/RDO Data Binding is not supported by the new controls.

    Data Binding is directly supported by the VB.Net controls using ADO.

    Parameters are passed ByVal by default.

    Control Arrays are gone.

    Fixed length strings are gone.

    Gosub, On/Gosub, On/Goto are gone.

    Names with leading underscores are not hidden.

    Implements implementation has changed.

    Null is now DBNull.

    Property syntax has changed.

    ObjPtr, VarPtr and StrPtr are gone.

    No more SET and limited default properties.

    Static procedures are not supported.

    Types are now Structures and LSET is gone.

    Variant, Empty, Null, Missing, IsNull and IsMissing are missing.

    WebClasses, ActiveX Documents and DHTML projects are now WebForms/ASP+.

    While/Wend is now While/End While.

    No more windowless controls.

    API Calls need updating.

    DIM As New is different.

    Arrays are always base Zero.

    VB.Net is not based on COM.

    Integer and Long are redefined.

    MsgBox defaults are different.

    ParamArrays are passed ByVal instead of ByRef.

    Property references can be passed ByRef.

    Currency data type is gone.

    DEFxxx statements not supported.

    DIM does not default to Object.

    DIM can be restricted in scope.

    ENUMs must be explicity identified.
    Thus these are some key changes requiring redesign under VB.Net compared to VB 6.0.

    prijil, Nov 1, 2010