    speed varies from 1 - 54 mpbs every few seconds. I'm not sure what would
    cause this.

    Any ideas?

    =?Utf-8?B?VHJhY3kgSG9mZm1hbg==?=, Jan 24, 2006

  2. The speed may vary depending AP load. Are there multiple clients connected
    to the AP? Is there a significant amount of traffic between your client and
    the AP.

    I would also try turning turbo mode (108mbps) and see if the makes a
    difference.

    --
    David Harding

    David Harding [MSFT], Jan 24, 2006

  3. This is the only individual using this AP, so I know that it's not the load.
    Do you know if the turbo mode is turned on at the AP or the workstation?

    =?Utf-8?B?VHJhY3kgSG9mZm1hbg==?=, Jan 24, 2006
  4. This is the only individual using this AP, so I'm sure it's not a traffic
    issue. Connectivity seems to stay good to excellent but the speed drops so
    significantly. I will try turbo mode. Is this turned on at the AP?

    =?Utf-8?B?VHJhY3kgSG9mZm1hbg==?=, Jan 24, 2006
  5. Yes it is enabled at the AP and most likely you would have to enable/disable
    it through the advanced properties on the client side

    David Harding [MSFT], Jan 24, 2006
  6. Hi
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 25, 2006
  7. If you're using 802.11g or 802.11b, which run in the 2.4 ghz frequency
    range, you can get interference from things like microwaves and cordless
    phones. These also operate in that frequency range. The wireless adapter
    will lower the linkspeed when it has such problems to allow transmission in
    the presence of noise.

    Not all wireless adapters will report this variation in linkspeed though.
    Some will just always says 54 mbps, even when they are running at a lower
    linkspeed. Switching to 802.11a should address the problem. Changing
    channels may also help- for instance, my microwave affects channels 6
    through 11 but does not affect channel 1.

    --
    Frank Schwieterman [MSFT]

    Frank Schwieterman [MSFT], Feb 18, 2006