various x64 problems after fresh install

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by jdk, Oct 8, 2005.

  1. jdk

    jdk Guest

    jdk, Oct 8, 2005

  2. jdk

    Mirko Guest

    which "Shuttle" product do you have?

    I believe there is also a "winflash" utility for AMI BIOS.
    In case you do have an Award BIOS but winflash doesn't work right in x64,
    the you could try the DOS flash utility from a DOS boot disk.

    "jdk" <>
    :...

    Mirko, Oct 8, 2005

  3. jdk

    jdk Guest

    jdk, Oct 8, 2005
  4. "jdk" <> wrote in message
    > i have the ST20G5 XPC model. Im shocked as to the lack of support
    > there is for 64-bit systems still. Im not sure how to update the bios
    > from a disk. Am i right in thinking the XPC tools does not work in
    > x64 xp either?
    >
    > thanks for the reply

    First download the correct files and extract to a directory if need be.
    (usually bios file downloads are zipped)

    Now, double click on My Computer and right click on your floppy drive icon,
    and select Format. Now you will see a window popup. Tick Create an MS-DOS
    startup disk, and then left click on Start.

    Now copy the two files, the exe file for flashing the BIOS, and the new bios
    file. Reboot to the floppy. Run the flash program like this, type
    "flash.exe newbios.bin" without the quotes, and using the actual names of
    the flash program and new bios file. Don't interrupt this or shut down
    until you get confirmation that the bios has been successfully updated.

    Having said this, it seems as if you are very new to this procedure, so I
    would recommend seeking a professional to do this for you.

    Take care,

    --

    -------------------------------------
    Wayne Wastier

    Wayne Wastier, Oct 8, 2005
  5. jdk

    jdk Guest

    ok thanks for that,

    i have flashed a bios before, was just not sure on the Shuttle as the
    bios download is a .bin file. It seems so wierd that they have a
    download for winflash on their support site, but it wont actually run.

    http://global.shuttle.com/Download/Download_File.asp?Item=ST20G5

    thats the bios i need, but its a .bin file.

    jdk, Oct 8, 2005
  6. jdk

    John Barnes Guest

    It should be a .bin file. Are you sure you have flashed a bios
    before???????????

    John Barnes, Oct 8, 2005
  7. jdk

    Mirko Guest

    If you go to Shuttle's ftp server directly, then you will also find a *.zip
    file which includes BIOS *.bin file AND the DOS flash utility that you can
    run after booting from a DOS boot disk.
    ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/BIOS/st20g5/

    "jdk" <>
    :...