    trashed.

    Thanks
    Lodi

    Lodi, Oct 20, 2007

  2. Lodi

    NR Guest

    On Oct 21, 11:53 am, Lodi <> wrote:
    > Hi all....Kubuntu Feisty/Gutsy.
    >
    > I'm making a little disk clean-up script. Are the contents of /var/tmp
    > able to be trashed safely at log-off.
    >
    > In fact, is it safe to "assume" that any folder called tmp is okay to be
    > trashed.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lodi

    No the standard says the contents of /var/tmp should remain over a
    reboot, the contents of /tmp can be deleted.

    /var/tmp can be used for something that you don't want to keep
    forever, but you don't want to disappear in the case of a major system
    crash, power failure, infant's fingers on the reset button etc.

    NR, Oct 21, 2007

  3. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 18:05:09 -0700, NR wrote:

    > On Oct 21, 11:53 am, Lodi <> wrote:
    >> Hi all....Kubuntu Feisty/Gutsy.
    >>
    >> I'm making a little disk clean-up script. Are the contents of /var/tmp
    >> able to be trashed safely at log-off.
    >>
    >> In fact, is it safe to "assume" that any folder called tmp is okay to
    >> be trashed.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Lodi

    > No the standard says the contents of /var/tmp should remain over a
    > reboot, the contents of /tmp can be deleted.
    >
    > /var/tmp can be used for something that you don't want to keep forever,
    > but you don't want to disappear in the case of a major system crash,
    > power failure, infant's fingers on the reset button etc.

    Thanks for that :)

    Lodi

    Lodi, Oct 21, 2007
  4. In message <ffe0tn$5cq$>, Lodi wrote:

    > I'm making a little disk clean-up script. Are the contents of /var/tmp
    > able to be trashed safely at log-off.
    >
    > In fact, is it safe to "assume" that any folder called tmp is okay to be
    > trashed.

    I would recommend, don't go trying to automatically clean up /tmp
    and /var/tmp. Instead, keep an eye on them and see if anything is showing
    signs of creating large numbers of temporary files/directories, and track
    down what program might be at fault.

    If nothing is misbehaving, why bother to try to fix it. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 21, 2007