    randomly after a week or so ? ( WinXP prof)
    Strange, I can't find any setting that causes this effect.
    Anybody can point me where to search for a solution ?
    Knoest, Jul 23, 2006

  2. Knoest

    Margolotta Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:41:39 +0100, Knoest wrote
    (in article <>):

    > How is it possible that restore points are gone every time
    > randomly after a week or so ? ( WinXP prof)
    > Strange, I can't find any setting that causes this effect.
    > Anybody can point me where to search for a solution ?

    Simple. You don't have enough disc space. Points will be deleted to make room
    for new ones. How much space do you have free on the drive on which the
    points are being created? You need at least 200MB.
    Margolotta, Jul 23, 2006

  3. "Knoest" <knoest@&co.com> wrote in message

    > How is it possible that restore points are gone every time
    > randomly after a week or so ? ( WinXP prof)
    > Strange, I can't find any setting that causes this effect.
    > Anybody can point me where to search for a solution ?

    Ignore the post from margolotta, she always gets it wrong.
    And she never gives an answer with any type of solution.
    Open system restore.
    Click system restore settings
    The System Properties opens
    Under System Restore tab click settings.
    Here is the setting for how much disk space is used
    for restore points. The max 12%. If it's not set to max
    just drag the slider/apply/OK.
    If it was a case of disk space running out, you would
    have received an on-screen warning, so ignore margolotta.

    Have a read of this KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301224/en-us

    And here is everything about system restore points:
    http://tinyurl.com/zzbsa
    for the Archive, Jul 23, 2006
  4. Knoest

    Noel Paton Guest

    > How is it possible that restore points are gone every time
    > randomly after a week or so ? ( WinXP prof)
    > Strange, I can't find any setting that causes this effect.
    > Anybody can point me where to search for a solution ?

    If you mean that you are losing ALL restore points, and a new point created
    at that boot, then the most likely cause is that you have changed the drive
    enumeration in some way - either by adding or removing a hard drive or
    partition. It's also possible, if you use USB drives, that these are being
    seen by the OS as fixed drives, rather than Removable - and this can also
    cause a reset.

    Do you use any startup managers or registry tweakers? - these have been
    known to produce similar problems.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Jul 23, 2006
  5. Knoest

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:41:39 +0200, Knoest wrote:

    >How is it possible that restore points are gone every time
    >randomly after a week or so ? ( WinXP prof)
    >Strange, I can't find any setting that causes this effect.
    >Anybody can point me where to search for a solution ?

    www.google.com or as it's a MS product, search the MS KB
    even searching past posts
    the article links for MS IIRC have been posted before.

    For those to follow, using Google to search.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=xp restore points

    http://www.google.com/search?q=xp restore points settings

    How system restore works, disk space settings
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx
    The System Restore feature is built into Windows XP and is used to
    return your computer to an earlier state if you have a system failure or
    other major problem with your computer. The point of System Restore is
    to restore your system to a workable state without you having to
    reinstall the operating system and lose your data files in the process.

    Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.mspx
    General Questions General Questions
    How-To Guide How-To Guide
    Troubleshooting Troubleshooting
    Additional Information Additional Information

    Me
    why?, Jul 23, 2006
  6. Knoest wrote:
    > How is it possible that restore points are gone every time
    > randomly after a week or so ? ( WinXP prof)
    > Strange, I can't find any setting that causes this effect.
    > Anybody can point me where to search for a solution ?

    System Restore is flawed. Turn it off, and use ERUNT:

    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
    that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Jul 23, 2006
  7. for the Archive wrote:
    > "Knoest" <knoest@&co.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>How is it possible that restore points are gone every time
    >>randomly after a week or so ? ( WinXP prof)
    >>Strange, I can't find any setting that causes this effect.
    >>Anybody can point me where to search for a solution ?

    > Ignore the post from margolotta, she always gets it wrong.
    > And she never gives an answer with any type of solution.
    > Open system restore.
    > Click system restore settings
    > The System Properties opens
    > Under System Restore tab click settings.
    > Here is the setting for how much disk space is used
    > for restore points. The max 12%. If it's not set to max
    > just drag the slider/apply/OK.
    > If it was a case of disk space running out, you would
    > have received an on-screen warning, so ignore margolotta.
    >
    > Have a read of this KB article:

    Ah that one explains a problem I had and blamed it on myself.
    "A restore point reaches an age of 90 days. The restore point is then
    deleted because 90 days is the default time to live."

    I had named some restore points which later were missing when wanted.
    Once again M$ claims *omniescence* -- Gates and co knows best, customer
    is required nuisance -- wanted for dollars only. ARRGH!

    Richard Owlett, Jul 23, 2006
  8. Knoest

    Knoest Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:56:31 +0100, "for the Archive"
    <> wrote:

    >"Knoest" <knoest@&co.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> How is it possible that restore points are gone every time
    >> randomly after a week or so ? ( WinXP prof)
    >> Strange, I can't find any setting that causes this effect.
    >> Anybody can point me where to search for a solution ?

    >Ignore the post from margolotta, she always gets it wrong.
    >And she never gives an answer with any type of solution.
    >Open system restore.
    >Click system restore settings
    >The System Properties opens
    >Under System Restore tab click settings.
    >Here is the setting for how much disk space is used
    >for restore points. The max 12%. If it's not set to max
    >just drag the slider/apply/OK.
    >If it was a case of disk space running out, you would
    >have received an on-screen warning, so ignore margolotta.

    I have 5 gigs for restore points. When I make a fresh restore
    point it's 'only' 120mb's big and ofcourse growing every day.

    >Have a read of this KB article:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301224/en-us

    None of this would be the case, that's why I'm asking for help :)

    >And here is everything about system restore points:
    >http://tinyurl.com/zzbsa

    Interesting but I didn't find a solution for my problem.
    I'm beginning to think it's a non Ms software related prob.
    Anyway, thx for trying to help !

    Knoest, Jul 23, 2006
  9. "Rhonda Lea Kirk" <> wrote in message
    > Knoest wrote:
    >> How is it possible that restore points are gone every time
    >> randomly after a week or so ? ( WinXP prof)
    >> Strange, I can't find any setting that causes this effect.
    >> Anybody can point me where to search for a solution ?

    > System Restore is flawed. Turn it off, and use ERUNT:
    >
    > http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

    Kiss my arse Rhonda

    ss.
    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 23, 2006
  10. Knoest

    Knoest Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 14:08:46 +0100, "Noel Paton"
    <> wrote:

    >"Knoest" <knoest@&co.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> How is it possible that restore points are gone every time
    >> randomly after a week or so ? ( WinXP prof)
    >> Strange, I can't find any setting that causes this effect.
    >> Anybody can point me where to search for a solution ?

    >If you mean that you are losing ALL restore points, and a new point created
    >at that boot, then the most likely cause is that you have changed the drive
    >enumeration in some way - either by adding or removing a hard drive or
    >partition. It's also possible, if you use USB drives, that these are being
    >seen by the OS as fixed drives, rather than Removable - and this can also
    >cause a reset.

    All points are gone after a week, sometimes after a month, it happens
    randomly.
    No new point created at startup, only a snapshot.
    No drive changes, neither partitions.
    I'm running a stable up to date XP system with no heavy problems
    for months now, only thing to mention, with SP1, no SP2.
    I have USB (removable) drives and extern USB harddisks but these are
    all disabled for making restore points.

    >Do you use any startup managers or registry tweakers? - these have been
    >known to produce similar problems.

    No startup managers, tweakers yes.
    Tweakers are not resident, manual startup and tweaks.
    Last time I used one was about 8 months ago.
    Knoest, Jul 23, 2006
  11. Knoest

    Knoest Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 16:42:00 GMT, why?

    >On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:41:39 +0200, Knoest wrote:
    >

    >>How is it possible that restore points are gone every time
    >>randomly after a week or so ? ( WinXP prof)
    >>Strange, I can't find any setting that causes this effect.
    >>Anybody can point me where to search for a solution ?

    >www.google.com or as it's a MS product, search the MS KB
    >http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
    >even searching past posts

    >http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?
    >the article links for MS IIRC have been posted before.
    >

    >For those to follow, using Google to search.
    >
    >http://www.google.com/search?q=xp restore points
    >
    >http://www.google.com/search?q=xp restore points settings
    >

    >How system restore works, disk space settings
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx
    >The System Restore feature is built into Windows XP and is used to
    >return your computer to an earlier state if you have a system failure or
    >other major problem with your computer. The point of System Restore is
    >to restore your system to a workable state without you having to
    >reinstall the operating system and lose your data files in the process.
    >

    >Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP
    >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.mspx
    >General Questions General Questions
    >How-To Guide How-To Guide
    >Troubleshooting Troubleshooting
    >Additional Information Additional Information
    >

    >Me

    I'm busy with it right now, had to save a few links for later use,
    I can't read them all today, thx for these usefull links.
    Knoest, Jul 23, 2006
  12. Knoest

    Knoest Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:00:42 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
    <> wrote:

    >Knoest wrote:
    >> How is it possible that restore points are gone every time
    >> randomly after a week or so ? ( WinXP prof)
    >> Strange, I can't find any setting that causes this effect.
    >> Anybody can point me where to search for a solution ?

    >System Restore is flawed. Turn it off, and use ERUNT:
    >
    >http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

    Downloaded it, as I understand, this is a replacement for the
    XP reg backup. Seems to do a better job than regbackup (export)
    itself. I'm gonna try this tomorrow. Thx for the tip !
    Knoest, Jul 23, 2006
  13. Synapse Syndrome wrote:
    > "Rhonda Lea Kirk" <> wrote in message
    >> Knoest wrote:
    >>> How is it possible that restore points are gone every time
    >>> randomly after a week or so ? ( WinXP prof)
    >>> Strange, I can't find any setting that causes this effect.
    >>> Anybody can point me where to search for a solution ?

    >> System Restore is flawed. Turn it off, and use ERUNT:
    >>
    >> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
    >>

    > Kiss my arse Rhonda
    >
    > ss.

    Excuse me, I don't think we've been formally introduced, although I have
    heard quite a lot about you.

    With that said, I'm not interested in your arse, so I'll have to decline
    your offer. Thanks anyway.

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Jul 23, 2006
  14. Knoest

    Knoest Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:37:53 -0500, Richard Owlett
    <> wrote:

    >for the Archive wrote:
    >> "Knoest" <knoest@&co.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>How is it possible that restore points are gone every time
    >>>randomly after a week or so ? ( WinXP prof)
    >>>Strange, I can't find any setting that causes this effect.
    >>>Anybody can point me where to search for a solution ?

    >> Ignore the post from margolotta, she always gets it wrong.
    >> And she never gives an answer with any type of solution.
    >> Open system restore.
    >> Click system restore settings
    >> The System Properties opens
    >> Under System Restore tab click settings.
    >> Here is the setting for how much disk space is used
    >> for restore points. The max 12%. If it's not set to max
    >> just drag the slider/apply/OK.
    >> If it was a case of disk space running out, you would
    >> have received an on-screen warning, so ignore margolotta.

    This is not the case, my restore points space is set to 5 gigs !
    Besides all points are gone at randomly time, one or five it
    doesn't matter. No new one created, only a snapshot of 40mb.

    >> Have a read of this KB article:

    Yep I have read this, can't see any solution for my problem.

    >Ah that one explains a problem I had and blamed it on myself.
    >"A restore point reaches an age of 90 days. The restore point is then
    >deleted because 90 days is the default time to live."

    I never reached 90 days. Before that time I already delete all
    restore points and make a fresh new one. I'm used to do that
    once in 6 weeks (approx).

    >I had named some restore points which later were missing when wanted.
    >Once again M$ claims *omniescence* -- Gates and co knows best, customer
    >is required nuisance -- wanted for dollars only. ARRGH!

    >> And here is everything about system restore points:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/zzbsa

    Hehe, this is the fourth time I visit this page today.
    All you guys (ladies) are pointing to the same page.
    So this simply has to be a good direction for finding
    out a solution for my special problem :)
    Thx to you all !
    Knoest, Jul 23, 2006
  15. Knoest

    Noel Paton Guest

    "Richard Owlett" <> wrote in message

    > Ah that one explains a problem I had and blamed it on myself.
    > "A restore point reaches an age of 90 days. The restore point is then
    > deleted because 90 days is the default time to live."
    >
    > I had named some restore points which later were missing when wanted.
    > Once again M$ claims *omniescence* -- Gates and co knows best, customer is
    > required nuisance -- wanted for dollars only. ARRGH!

    If you think that a SR point is going to be any use to you after 90 days
    then you need to take your machine back and claim a refund!
    I would NEVER suggest a Restore beyond 15 days old unless the PC has seen
    almost no use, or absolutely nothing else has worked!

    Noel Paton, Jul 23, 2006
  16. Knoest wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:00:42 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Knoest wrote:
    >>> How is it possible that restore points are gone every time
    >>> randomly after a week or so ? ( WinXP prof)
    >>> Strange, I can't find any setting that causes this effect.
    >>> Anybody can point me where to search for a solution ?

    >> System Restore is flawed. Turn it off, and use ERUNT:
    >>
    >> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

    > Downloaded it, as I understand, this is a replacement for the
    > XP reg backup. Seems to do a better job than regbackup (export)
    > itself. I'm gonna try this tomorrow. Thx for the tip !

    Welcome. :)

    I think you'll be pleased with it.

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Jul 23, 2006
  17. Knoest

    Guest

    "Rhonda Lea Kirk" <> wrote:

    |>Knoest wrote:
    |>> How is it possible that restore points are gone every time
    |>> randomly after a week or so ? ( WinXP prof)
    |>> Strange, I can't find any setting that causes this effect.
    |>> Anybody can point me where to search for a solution ?

    |>System Restore is flawed. Turn it off, and use ERUNT:
    |>
    |>http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

    There it is, was wondering when someone was going to mention this
    program.

    Much better than system restore, plus ERUNT can be access from boot
    disk.

    USING ERUNT TO MAKE AUTOMATIC BACKUPS
    http://www.pcug.org.au/~boesen/ERUNT/ERUNT.htm

    --
    One New York City cop manages to shoot three fellow officers
    while trying to gun down an attacking pit bull.
  18. Knoest

    Plato Guest

    http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#15
    Plato, Jul 24, 2006
  19. Knoest

    Knoest Guest

    On 24 Jul 2006 15:29:05 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    >Knoest wrote:
    >>
    >> How is it possible that restore points are gone every time
    >> randomly after a week or so ? ( WinXP prof)
    >> Strange, I can't find any setting that causes this effect.
    >> Anybody can point me where to search for a solution ?

    >http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#15

    "System restore is basically a registry restore utility, not a data
    recovery utility. It doesn't address your personal data."

    This I didn't know, I could read some very useful info.
    Thx a lot for this link.
    I have installed this ERUNT proggie ( see above in this thread )
    this was a revelation to me. Great little app.
    For me, I don't need restore points anymore.
    What a relieve :)
    Knoest, Jul 25, 2006
  20. Knoest

    Plato Guest

    Knoest wrote:

    > "System restore is basically a registry restore utility, not a data
    > recovery utility. It doesn't address your personal data."
    >
    > I have installed this ERUNT proggie ( see above in this thread )
    > this was a revelation to me. Great little app.
    > For me, I don't need restore points anymore.
    > What a relieve :)

    Agreed. Still, a resore point can save you in an time of need. I dont
    recommend disabling system restore. Definately a mis-labled utility tho.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 25, 2006