    Maybe i am not thinking laterally enough, suggestions please.

    cheers folks
    Budweiser
    budweiser, Dec 8, 2007

  2. budweiser

    Mike Easter Guest

    budweiser wrote:
    > After boot has finished all i am presented with is my background
    > screen, no icons,no start bar nothing.

    That is not a diagnosis but a symptom.

    > ctrl/alt delete will bring up task manager --ran spybot/adaawre and a
    > full norton av system scan, bugger still no icons etc.Safe mode
    > brings up no icons either.

    Those are little troubleshooting steps.

    > Tried a repair install of xp --same result
    >
    > Googled a bit --- seems this was a "virus" roaming about in 2005.

    SpybotS&D + AdAware + NortonAV is very often an inadequate survey for
    infections, infestations, and/or their aftermath.

    > None of the fixes i can find will restore the desktop.
    > I am unsure how i aquired this "infection" and it does seem to have
    > bypassed up to date avprotection etc.
    > Treat this as a heads folks.
    > anyone outhere go a work round/solution, or know the name of this
    > apparant new beastie?

    An observed symptom does not equal a new beastie. You could follow the
    guidelines below^1 and skip #1 about 'clean as best you can' down to the
    part that gives instructions about HiJack This and its logs and posting
    in an appropriate place. The Spyware Warrior forums are not the only
    appropriate place. http://spywarewarrior.com/sww-help.htm Getting
    Help w/ Spyware

    If you are prone to infestations, then it is likely that you should
    reconfigure or use a different browser or different behaviors, because
    your system will become unstable from infesting and deinfesting some
    things that are found with anti-malware tools.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 8, 2007

  3. budweiser

    budweiser Guest

    Thanks for your "expert" input and possible solution.

    I am not "prone" as you suggest to infections and general maladies that can
    be caught from this wonderful place we call the web.
    Yes i know that comercially available software is of little use or adequate
    protection --shit happens ---that is what is on the machine.
    your reply is honestly of little use --i have no way of installing anything
    Bleeding experts --love them
    sactamonious gits

    solutions in simple language apreciated-----mike easter--go work for pc
    world

    budweiser, Dec 8, 2007
  4. budweiser

    Thip Guest

    "budweiser" <beerin the > wrote in message
    > After boot has finished all i am presented with is my background screen,
    > no icons,no start bar nothing.
    > ctrl/alt delete will bring up task manager --ran spybot/adaawre and a full
    > norton av system scan, bugger still no icons etc.Safe mode brings up no
    > icons either.
    > Tried a repair install of xp --same result
    >
    > Googled a bit --- seems this was a "virus" roaming about in 2005. None of
    > the fixes i can find will restore the desktop.
    > I am unsure how i aquired this "infection" and it does seem to have
    > bypassed up to date avprotection etc.
    > Treat this as a heads folks.
    > anyone outhere go a work round/solution, or know the name of this apparant
    > new beastie?
    >
    > Maybe i am not thinking laterally enough, suggestions please.
    >
    > cheers folks
    > Budweiser

    Are you sure it's a virus? Amd not some random Windows brain fart?
    .....just for kicks and giggles, try putting "explorer.exe" (without quotes)
    in the Run on Task Manager.
    Thip, Dec 9, 2007
  5. budweiser

    Mike Easter Guest

    budweiser wrote:
    > Thanks for your "expert" input and possible solution.

    Please don't top post.

    > your reply is honestly of little use --i have no way of installing
    > anything

    Good point.

    ctrl-alt-delete > task manager/ File menu/ New task
    explorer.exe

    What happens?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 9, 2007
  6. budweiser

    ded Guest

    > After boot has finished all i am presented with is my background screen,
    > no icons,no start bar nothing.
    > ctrl/alt delete will bring up task manager --ran spybot/adaawre and a full
    > norton av system scan, bugger still no icons etc.Safe mode brings up no
    > icons either.
    > Tried a repair install of xp --same result
    >
    > Googled a bit --- seems this was a "virus" roaming about in 2005. None of
    > the fixes i can find will restore the desktop.

    But what exactly brought you to that conclusion, that it is malware that
    was "roaming about in 2005"? The google search you performed that
    produced results to that effect, post those results.

    If no icons, no start menu, how did you perform an Anti-virus scan
    and how did you run spybot etc? If you could run them (how?) -
    did you try a system restore?
    When you tried a repair install of XP, if it failed it definately would
    have produced an error - did you note it?
    Does your mouse/cursor function?
    If it does, then RIGHT click anywhere on desktop
    Then: Properties>Desktop>Customize>Web tab
    Remove tick from: "Lock Desktop"
    Click Apply button, followed by OK button.
    ded, Dec 9, 2007
  7. budweiser

    Mike Easter Guest

    ded wrote:
    > "budweiser"

    >> After boot has finished all i am presented with is my background
    >> screen, no icons,no start bar nothing.
    >> ctrl/alt delete will bring up task manager --ran spybot/adaawre and
    >> a full norton av system scan, bugger still no icons etc.Safe mode
    >> brings up no icons either.

    > If no icons, no start menu, how did you perform an Anti-virus scan
    > and how did you run spybot etc? If you could run them (how?) -

    Good point.

    Is bud funnin' us? Or just incompletely expressing himself?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 9, 2007
  8. budweiser

    ded Guest

    > ded wrote:
    >> "budweiser"

    >>> After boot has finished all i am presented with is my background
    >>> screen, no icons,no start bar nothing.
    >>> ctrl/alt delete will bring up task manager --ran spybot/adaawre and
    >>> a full norton av system scan, bugger still no icons etc.Safe mode
    >>> brings up no icons either.

    >> If no icons, no start menu, how did you perform an Anti-virus scan
    >> and how did you run spybot etc? If you could run them (how?) -

    > Good point.
    >
    > Is bud funnin' us? Or just incompletely expressing himself?
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    It's not adding up is it, the only other thing I can suggest as he
    has access to the web, and on the troubled comp he can access
    Task manager, is to check the processes tab and online check
    each to see what is what?
    He could then try ending processes to see which is preventing
    windows from fully loading, but of course it may also be a
    component that is not loading or is corrupt, but that should
    produce an error?
    ded, Dec 9, 2007
  9. budweiser

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    > After boot has finished all i am presented with is my background screen,
    > no icons,no start bar nothing.
    > ctrl/alt delete will bring up task manager --ran spybot/adaawre and a full
    > norton av system scan, bugger still no icons etc.Safe mode brings up no
    > icons either.
    > Tried a repair install of xp --same result
    >
    > Googled a bit --- seems this was a "virus" roaming about in 2005. None of
    > the fixes i can find will restore the desktop.
    > I am unsure how i aquired this "infection" and it does seem to have
    > bypassed up to date avprotection etc.
    > Treat this as a heads folks.
    > anyone outhere go a work round/solution, or know the name of this apparant
    > new beastie?
    >
    > Maybe i am not thinking laterally enough, suggestions please.

    Bring up Task Manager, New Task and run CMD
    At prompt type "SFC/PURGECACHE" (without quotes)
    When complete type "SFC/SCANBOOT" (without quotes) and restart computer.

    During the check, you will probably be prompted to insert your XP disc. If
    you do not have the disc, then beg, borrow or steal a disc for the same
    version of XP.
    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Dec 9, 2007
  10. budweiser

    chuckcar Guest

    "ded" <> wrote in news:fjfep2$a7n$:

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> ded wrote:
    >>> "budweiser"

    > It's not adding up is it, the only other thing I can suggest as he
    > has access to the web, and on the troubled comp he can access
    > Task manager, is to check the processes tab and online check
    > each to see what is what?
    > He could then try ending processes to see which is preventing
    > windows from fully loading, but of course it may also be a
    > component that is not loading or is corrupt, but that should
    > produce an error?

    There is also the possibility it's active desktop. In 98, you get the
    same effect, and the only fix is to right click on the screen (obviously
    it doesn't matter where), Active Desktop->update now.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Dec 9, 2007