    not use the computer with out locking it up. I would much rather get lower
    rating, true ratings, than get what I am getting. I am sure computer is not
    overheating, it has enough power etc. What gives Thanks
    Matt Schneyer, Nov 14, 2008

  2. It did it again I played Spider solitaire. The game was fine until I tried
    to exit. System locked to the point that I had to shut down the computer,
    hard restart. Again the question is how can a computer have a
    performance rating of 5.8 and a reliability index if I don't shut down
    improperly of over 9 just plain lock up. Only indication is the
    reliability score dropping and saying computer was shut down incorrectly.
    there is no other indication. The idea of giving high scores to make users
    feel good about their system is really misleading. Tell me that Vista
    Ultimate is a waste of time and money and be done with it.

    Matt Schneyer, Nov 14, 2008

  3. Matt Schneyer

    John Barnes Guest

    Next time you shut down spider solitare, have the Task Manager on the screen
    and shut down from the task bar so you can see Task Manager. Have the
    performance panel on the screen and all cores showing. Also you don't say
    what cpu you have running and be sure to wait several minutes to see if the
    system clears up. The performance rating is cute but not meaningful to
    actual normal operation.

    John Barnes, Nov 15, 2008
  4. Again dual 275 dual core opterons I have waited over night nothing happens
    I will try with the task Manager next time. My main comment was the
    reliability rating is also biased for microsoft. It really does not show
    anything Thanks

    Matt Schneyer, Nov 15, 2008
  5. I am not on Vista myself, so I may be missing your point. Isn't the
    Reliability Index something that works in a similar way that average speeds,
    though? Drive 50Mph from A to B and one red light blasts your average to
    less than half of what you'd expected.

    Here is one knowledgable guy who seem to like the feature:

    http://www.petri.co.il/reliability_monitor_windows_vista.htm

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 15, 2008
  6. I agree with the article it would be great if it told me why I had to hard
    restart to escape from a Microsoft game. Reducing my score and telling me I
    shut down incorrectly is not telling me much. I know I shut down
    incorrectly. I want to know why I had to shut down incorrectly. I am saying
    with a performance rating of 5.8 system should work you would think? I play
    a game that is a Microsoft game, comes with vista and I can not exit it,
    someone should know why. I would think the programmers used the game before
    and at some point had to exit the game to get back to work. Thanks for the
    reply

    Matt Schneyer, Nov 15, 2008
  7. Yes, I see what you mean, and I have been thinking about your predicament
    since there really is some kind of conflict that confronts you. You have a
    tool, but it's not helping you.

    I am beginning to think that this conflict originates when you are trying to
    employ a tool that isn't designed to do that particular job that you had in
    mind. As John said, these 'indices' are 'cute', but they are not designed to
    be real benchmarks or troubleshooters. I am not on Vista myself so I cannot
    go into specifics as to what I think you might use instead.

    On my system (XP, which is technically somewhat of a glorified NT system) I
    would perhaps investigate using 'Performance Logs and Alerts' in
    Administrative Tools. Paired with scripting, this could make you extract
    almost any kind of information from the system that you could ever dream of.
    I cannot imagine that Vista wouldn't have the same capabilities, or better,
    and I'm sure it takes a creative mind to make it do what you want, but it's
    worth investigating I think. Try the SysInternals site, I've heard people
    saying that is the best part of all of Microsoft.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Nov 17, 2008
  8. Matt Schneyer

    Irv Segal Guest

    Are you using the latest WHQL drivers for mouse, keyboard and video?

    -iceeagle

    Irv Segal, Nov 19, 2008
  9. yes all drivers are the latest. It is not keyboard or mouse. video is what

    Matt Schneyer, Nov 19, 2008
  10. from task master exits properly no error no lock up Thanks but there is
    still a problem if I can not exit will try that again

    Matt Schneyer, Nov 20, 2008
  11. that time first time it closed correctly. not sure what I did differently
    but game is ok thanks

    Matt Schneyer, Nov 20, 2008