    Or do you have any other suggestions?

    TIA

    Yves
    phoenix, Jun 25, 2004

  2. phoenix

    Me2 Guest

    Just let me dust off my crystal ball...

    I would suggest that certifications may not have great weight when looking
    for a position at the moment. I have read several articles however that
    suggest that individuals with certifications tend to gain larger salary
    increases during employment. I suppose that if you are valuable enough that
    a company wants to keep you employed, certification helps to showcase your
    value.

    I have never seen a MCAD/MCSD upgrade path. Unlike OS's, programming
    languages tend to morph into different beasts, although the logic remains
    somewhat constant.

    Ralph Page
    MBA, CMBA, MCAD .Net, MCDBA 2000, MCSE 2000, CCNA
    "Every man is born into the world to do something unique and something
    distinctive,
    and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done."
    -- Dr. Benjamin E. Mays
    "phoenix" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm thinking on taking some certificate tests to get a MCP. However I'm
    > going to be enrolled in a project for the next 4 years where that
    > certificate will not make any difference. So now I'm wondering what the
    > value of todays tests will be in 4 years since that will be the first time

    > can actually use them. I find it hard to believe that the tests will still
    > be the same 4 years from now. So how long does a certificate (I was

    thinking
    > about the MCSD one) will last.
    > Should I wait 3/4 years before taking it?
    > Or can I take it now and still get some of/all the benifits from it in 4
    > years?
    > Or can I take it now and then have to do less exams in 4 years to

    "upgrade"

    Me2, Jun 25, 2004

  3. phoenix

    OnceAgain Guest

    The first question to ask is "is it the certification I want or the
    knowledge that comes with it?" If it is the knowledge and it can you help
    you in the future then pursue it but if it is the certiciation you want then
    focus your attention on something else if you can't "use" it for four years.
    Certification is also not a "one-time" deal but rather a committment. You
    can certify today and take the required 6 or 7 exams to get certified and
    undoubtedly need to take at least two upgrade exams every couple of years
    for the rest of your certified life. So you can start this journey today or
    wait four years. Not much of an answer but some things to think about!

    OnceAgain, Jun 25, 2004
  4. phoenix

    Eric Guest

    phoenix wrote:

    > I'm thinking on taking some certificate tests to get a MCP. However
    > I'm going to be enrolled in a project for the next 4 years where that
    > certificate will not make any difference.

    You have a guaranteed job for 4 years? That's pretty cool. In the US
    you never have a guarantee. Even if you have a contract with a company,
    they can usually terminate the contract for a number of reasons.

    Most of us need to be ready to find a new job "just in case".

    > Should I wait 3/4 years before taking it?

    Sure, why not? Nobody knows what tests will be used in 4 years.

    Eric
    Eric, Jun 25, 2004
  5. phoenix

    Guest Guest

    A certification is a piece of paper in the same way that a driver's license,
    a college diploma or a treasure map are just paper. It's "value" depends a
    great deal on the capabilities and inventiveness of the person holding it.
    My certificatiobn helped me land a job earning 50% more money at a time (a
    few months after the dotcom crash) when many developers were unemployed.

    Guest, Jun 25, 2004
  6. phoenix

    Rex Guest

    I would go further. A driver's license gives you certain legal
    privileges. A college diploma (from an accredited institution) is a
    requirement for many jobs as well as for further degrees. Although there
    may be some jobs that have certifications for requirements, there don't
    seem to be many. I sometimes wonder if we're kidding ourselves here, and
    just generating money for MS, VUE, Prometric, and the book publishers. I
    seem to see lots of posts that say "certification didn't do squat for
    me", and very few that say "life is so much better after certification".
    If anybody thinks I'm wrong, please tell me. I'd love to hear about it.

    Rex, Jul 18, 2004
  7. >Although there
    >may be some jobs that have certifications for requirements, there don't
    >seem to be many.

    Back in the mad days of the late 90's, there were many more so called
    'microsoft partners' companies; as such those type of 'companies'
    required mcp's etc on their staff. Thankfully most of those cowboy
    companies have long since gone bust.

    > I sometimes wonder if we're kidding ourselves here, and
    >just generating money for MS, VUE, Prometric, and the book publishers.

    There are many charlatan companies out there who make money out of
    stupid people, people who believe that an microsoft certification will
    change there life. Those companies must make money as there are new
    ones springing up everyday. If people are so stupid as to hand over
    there cash, well more the fool they are.

    As for microsoft, I don't think microsoft directly make too much money
    out of the process. Microsoft are only concerned is getting as many
    mcp's into their system, and rather like the russian red army of WWII,
    microsoft don't care about the quality, just the quantity....

    >seem to see lots of posts that say "certification didn't do squat for
    >me",

    If people really believed a certification would help solve their
    problems, then they are truly naive and I can't imagine them having a
    career in IT.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jul 18, 2004