Value of Cisco training and certs

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by none, Jun 14, 2006.

  1. none

    none Guest

    I have a slightly different question, especially geared to those who
    have MCSEs and CCNA. A little re-assurance or reality check would help,
    especially being in the "Show-Me" state of Missouri.

    I enrolled in the local Cisco Academy for this fall. I have 2 rather
    under utilized NT4.0 and Win2k MCSEs, an A+ and 3 MOS certifications.
    Currently, I work at a call center. I am hoping as I approach 40 this
    February, that the CCNA and possible CCNP will help me break out of my
    mold, and actually aid in making more money, especially to legitimate
    the vast amounts I have spent already. Yes, I was one of those folks who
    got involved in computer work in 1999 for the cash, until the bottom
    fell out. Now, I figure it's time to fully succeed with the Cisco stuff
    and subsequent job prospects, or come up with a new career plan. I
    don't feel great about this path, but my friends who have taken some of
    the classes urge me on, saying it should help vastly.

    Has anyone out there had under-utilized skills or certifications, but
    found that Cisco certifications improved their lot? Is it possible to
    actually find a job, preferably day-shift because Cisco really helped to
    increase skillset and marketability?
    Any feedback in this news group would be helpful and most appreciated.

    Thanks ,
    David
    none, Jun 14, 2006

  2. none

    Newbie72 Guest

    none wrote:
    > I have a slightly different question, especially geared to those who
    > have MCSEs and CCNA. A little re-assurance or reality check would help,
    > especially being in the "Show-Me" state of Missouri.
    >
    > I enrolled in the local Cisco Academy for this fall. I have 2 rather
    > under utilized NT4.0 and Win2k MCSEs, an A+ and 3 MOS certifications.
    > Currently, I work at a call center. I am hoping as I approach 40 this
    > February, that the CCNA and possible CCNP will help me break out of my
    > mold, and actually aid in making more money, especially to legitimate
    > the vast amounts I have spent already. Yes, I was one of those folks who
    > got involved in computer work in 1999 for the cash, until the bottom
    > fell out. Now, I figure it's time to fully succeed with the Cisco stuff
    > and subsequent job prospects, or come up with a new career plan. I
    > don't feel great about this path, but my friends who have taken some of
    > the classes urge me on, saying it should help vastly.
    >
    > Has anyone out there had under-utilized skills or certifications, but
    > found that Cisco certifications improved their lot? Is it possible to
    > actually find a job, preferably day-shift because Cisco really helped to
    > increase skillset and marketability?
    > Any feedback in this news group would be helpful and most appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks ,
    > David

    The first question you have to ask yourself is what level of support
    are you currently doing? Are you doing password resets and how do I
    make word justify to the right and not the left or center, or are you
    doing some server administration and more advanced stuff. I am making a
    dangerous assumption that no matter what it is you are not happy doing
    it.

    If the reason your asking is because you have been stuck in level 1
    support hell for the last 7 years, and droning sounds of every end user
    blaming you because they cant figure out how to right click then maybe
    you need ask yourself what s the growth potential from within your
    comapny. Even if you do get a CCNA what are the chances you will be
    able to make it off the helpdesk or is it just time to change
    companies? Knowledge is power and subsequently the only tool you will
    have to ever get out of doing the same redundant simple tasks everyday.

    I started in IT the same year you did. I made some extremely risky
    moves after being laid off from verizon during my 2nd year of IT
    experience and turned myself into an IT contractor for 3 years going
    anywhere and doing anything. I also got my CCNA in June of 2000.

    I thought the CCNA was my answer to getting off the help desk and felt
    it would surely get me a networking job. My CCNA never got me a job
    that was exclusively "networking ", but it did get me several jobs and
    contracts that gave me more networking experience which eventually has
    led me to where I am today with 2.5years experience as a Network
    Administrator in both NT and 2000/2003 with Cisco routers and switches
    and firewalls.

    The CCNA and CCNP will open the doors and ears of hiring managers but
    your own perseverance and dedication is the only way you will become a
    network analyst/engineer, again making a dangerous assumption that is
    what you want.

    As far as a day job goes. My official schedule is 8am-5pm according to
    my offer letter and department policy. However, that does not cover
    nights I am on call or when the guy down the street on the backhoe cuts
    through the fiber line that feeds our building and the pager goes off
    at 8pm because all the satalite offices just got the boot from the
    network.

    Either way I wish you the best of luck and if you ask me would I do it
    all over again. the answer is I would have not have changed a thing.

    PS the only current and active certification I still have is my
    Microsoft MCP and A+. I am going to retake the CCNA at the end of the
    month and start the CCNP later this year not so I can become certified
    but so i can do my job better which will subsequently, hopefully get me
    more money.

    Steve
    Newbie72, Jun 14, 2006

  3. none

    J Guest

    none wrote:
    > I have a slightly different question, especially geared to those who
    > have MCSEs and CCNA. A little re-assurance or reality check would help,
    > especially being in the "Show-Me" state of Missouri.
    >
    > I enrolled in the local Cisco Academy for this fall. I have 2 rather
    > under utilized NT4.0 and Win2k MCSEs, an A+ and 3 MOS certifications.
    > Currently, I work at a call center. I am hoping as I approach 40 this
    > February, that the CCNA and possible CCNP will help me break out of my
    > mold, and actually aid in making more money, especially to legitimate
    > the vast amounts I have spent already. Yes, I was one of those folks who
    > got involved in computer work in 1999 for the cash, until the bottom
    > fell out. Now, I figure it's time to fully succeed with the Cisco stuff
    > and subsequent job prospects, or come up with a new career plan. I
    > don't feel great about this path, but my friends who have taken some of
    > the classes urge me on, saying it should help vastly.
    >
    > Has anyone out there had under-utilized skills or certifications, but
    > found that Cisco certifications improved their lot? Is it possible to
    > actually find a job, preferably day-shift because Cisco really helped to
    > increase skillset and marketability?
    > Any feedback in this news group would be helpful and most appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks ,
    > David

    In addition to Steve's reply I would strongly recommend working your
    way into the VoIP world. That is where it's at right now. We can't
    hirer VoIP engineers fast enough. In the next 2-3 years IPTV is going
    to explode as well. Getting on the bandwagon now will definitely
    benefit you. However with both you need the underlying basics, and a
    damn fine grasp of them at that. One thing you might leverage is your
    Microsoft knowledge and how that will integrate with the Cisco VoIP
    products. Unity is extemely dependant on Exchange. Everything ties
    into Exchange and AD. Learning Cisco VoIP from that perspecitve may
    serve you well. Personally I know that I'm behind on the voice side of
    things. To that end I am going to take the opposite route. I am going
    to focus all my attention away from voice and on my core R&S, security
    and more importantly service provider skillsets. Then I'll pick up
    voice. Given the account that I'm currently working on, I don't have
    much of an opportunity to learn voice. However I have an opportunity
    to hone my skills on everything else.

    J, Jun 14, 2006
  4. none

    none Guest

    Thanks guys, I will try to press on, even despite my tenuous grasp on
    subnetting. That grasp is a lot strong than my grasp on my credit card
    paying for Cisco Academy and books, but I love write-offs!

    Another good outcome of training is self-enforced celibacy. I'll be too
    busy reading to have to even qualify for child support. :p

    Again, thanks for your more seasoned perspective!

    -David
    none, Jun 15, 2006
  5. none

    Newbie72 Guest

    none wrote:
    > Thanks guys, I will try to press on, even despite my tenuous grasp on
    > subnetting. That grasp is a lot strong than my grasp on my credit card
    > paying for Cisco Academy and books, but I love write-offs!
    >
    > Another good outcome of training is self-enforced celibacy. I'll be too
    > busy reading to have to even qualify for child support. :p
    >
    > Again, thanks for your more seasoned perspective!
    >
    > -David

    If you are having a hard time with some network concepts then my
    recomendation is to get your hands on material authored by Todd Lammle.
    I have read hisbook which is published by Sybex and his videos which
    can be obtained from keystone learning.
    Newbie72, Jun 15, 2006