Valuable Guidance needed for VoIP(SIP) implementation.

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by SIP3261, Aug 17, 2004.

  1. SIP3261

    SIP3261 Guest

    Hello,
    I am Electronics & Communication Engineer, Though Right Now I am
    Unemployed, BUT I am keenly interested in VoIP platform and made up my
    mind to make my carrer in VoIP field.I know "C" Language.

    One of my well wisher(He is not into VoIP field) suggested me to get
    the concept of SIP implementation and for that he has given me an idea
    of a Project from where to start so as to make my foundations strong.

    So Now, I have to do a project whose details are given below:

    Definition of the project : To transmit voice between two systems on a
    LAN using SIP as the protocol.

    My task is to ::
    1.) To study the RFC for SIP thoroughly .
    2.) Then write some test programs using sockets to communicate between
    2 pc's (Using the "C" language,preferebly on unix).

    I am going through RFC3261(SIP 2.0) and have completed 1st 40
    pages(Section 8.1).Though not fully but still,I am getting the
    theoritical concept, and i am sure as i will proceed further in RFC ,
    i will get my concepts more clear.

    Now regarding the 2nd task(Sockets),there are certain bottelnecks
    which are to be removed,

    a)I have to transmit voice between 2 systems on a LAN using SIP as
    protocol,
    But I am having ONLY 1 system with me at my Room.
    So, Is it possible to use(configure) my 1 sysetm to ACT as Sender at
    one time and Reciver after that(sending) to recieve the send packet.

    b) Till yet I know only C and nothing about sockets and unix.

    But for 2nd task,I had to learn Sockets programing in C on unix .

    Please do guide me from where to start to learn socket and unix(which
    book) so that aftetwords I can do SIP implimenataion in C.

    Kindly let me know one more thing. Will codes written for red hat
    linux
    will work for Linux SUSE also.I am asking this because in August issue
    of computer magzine "DIGIT",They are giving LINIX SUSE.Or Do I have
    to arrange RED HAT LINUX only.

    Waiting for the Precious reply from already working professionals.
    With Regards

    Amit
    SIP3261, Aug 17, 2004

  2. SIP3261

    Ian Guest

    Hi

    It sounds if you are trying to reinvent the wheel. All what you are trting
    to do has been done, Its out their and has been for some while Asterisk is
    now stable and in use widly. There are also many commercial SIP products.

    You would be far better spending your time downloading the source code to *
    looking at that and then writing addons or taking up the bounty offers on
    the Wiki.

    Good luck.

    Ian

    Ian, Aug 18, 2004

  3. SIP3261

    SIP3261 Guest

    Hello,
    My Aim is not to reinvent the Wheel , but to learn ,How to make a
    wheel.
    I am fully aware that Session Initiation Protocol(SIP)
    implementation is already carried out in various companies all over
    the world and various SIP based commercial products are alreday there
    in the market,
    My interest lies in not using these comercial product,But to
    make(implement) these products by being a part of those companies.

    I am keenly interested in learning the SIP implemantation so that in
    near future I can join a company working in SIP and can become a
    sucessful VoIP professional.

    As I am a begineer for SIP implementation ,I posted my Query here in
    this newsgroup so as to get my doubts clear from already working VoIP
    professional, as they are the best persons to understand the problems
    a begineer can phase in SIP implementation.

    I request VoIP professionals to show me the path to achieve sucess.

    Thanks in Advance,

    With Regards

    Amit Arora
    ()

    SIP3261, Aug 20, 2004
  4. SIP3261

    Kurt Jaeger Guest

    Hi!

    > I am fully aware that Session Initiation Protocol(SIP)
    >implementation is already carried out in various companies all over
    >the world and various SIP based commercial products are alreday there
    >in the market,
    >My interest lies in not using these comercial product,But to
    >make(implement) these products by being a part of those companies.

    Then, learn more about the open source variants and take note
    that many companies are going to implement those instead
    of doing their own SIP implementation.

    >I am keenly interested in learning the SIP implemantation so that in
    >near future I can join a company working in SIP and can become a
    >sucessful VoIP professional.

    If you learn about open source variants, you do not have
    to do all yourself, but you can "stand on the shoulders
    of giants" and *continue* from there to achieve some progress...

    --
    MfG/Best regards, Kurt Jaeger 16 years to go !
    LF.net GmbH fon +49 711 90074-23
    Kurt Jaeger, Aug 20, 2004
  5. SIP3261

    Ian Guest

    Hi.
    The point I am trying to make to you is that the core work on SIP is
    done and need not be done again, also YOU are looking for employment correct
    ? There a few positions at the protocol development end but MANY at the
    service delivery and intergration end. You would be beeter to spend you time
    and effort downloading Asterisk as I said before looking at how that works
    then deloping additions and services based on that and intergrating it with
    databases etc.
    Yes its good to know how something works but only to a point. reading
    RFC's will not a job get. Knowing what customers want and being able to
    deliver it will.

    Good luck

    Ian

    Ian, Aug 20, 2004
  6. SIP3261

    Guest

    Hi amit ,
    Good , U r learning through RFC stuff.
    BUT if your aim is to make 2 PC talk to each other , then U have do
    lot.
    Please extend ur task list.
    SIP wont help U alone, You need to check RFC for SDP , RTP , RTCP and
    few of the codecs like G.711 G.729(A / B ), or ITU standards.
    This will help you implement a client, which can talk.
    Best luck ,
    Hope you come up with clean code ;) .

    Vivek
    , Oct 21, 2004
  7. SIP3261

    Ting Liu Guest

    Hi, Experts:

    You have all mentioned about open source code, can any of you point me
    to these URL, so I can take a look and possibly stand on these gaints
    :)

    Thank you in advance. Your help is greatly appreciated.

    Ting

    Ting Liu, Oct 27, 2004
  8. SIP3261

    makuchaku Guest