    Clayton Guest

    Why am I prompted every time I want to download a hot fix etc to validate
    windows?, sure the first time I do this is adequate enough?
    Clayton, Sep 29, 2007

  2. Personally, I agree. But this appears to something MS is going to do, and
    it's not anything we're likely to change, so I don't fight about it. I save
    my fights for things where I think I have a chance of winning.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 30, 2007

  3. Clayton

    Clayton Guest

    Just another annoyance to add to my list

    Clayton, Sep 30, 2007
  4. "Clayton" <> wrote in message
    > Just another annoyance to add to my list

    >> Personally, I agree. But this appears to something MS is going to do, and
    >> it's not anything we're likely to change, so I don't fight about it. I
    >> save my fights for things where I think I have a chance of winning.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Charlie.
    >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >>

    >> "Clayton" <> wrote in message
    >>> Why am I prompted every time I want to download a hot fix etc to
    >>> validate windows?, sure the first time I do this is adequate enough?

    Don't feel bad Clayton, I was asked to re-activate my copy of Vista within
    the first week. I added some more ram and plugged in a hard drive (that
    wasn't formatted). Apparently this was considered enough to warrant
    flagging me as some kind of evil pirate attempting to run this copy of Vista
    on a different machine. To their credit M$ gave me a new activation code,
    however all my queries regarding the frequency of having to re-activate were
    met with topic changes. Huzzah for call-centre scripts. I signed off the
    call with "talk to you next time I add a hard drive!" ;-)

    --
    A: because it breaks the flow of conversation
    Q: why is top-posting bad?
    Matthew Hawkins, Oct 1, 2007
  5. You are right, but activation and validation are two completely different
    issues - and none of them is a registration!

    Activation is trivial - you are not suspected of anything. You press a
    button and you're done.

    There still are limits to software intelligence and in your case the
    software considered your system to be a new system.

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Oct 2, 2007
  6. Clayton

    Clayton Guest

    But surely if you make enough changes to your hardware that warrants
    "Activation" what has that got to do with "Validation" if your systems has
    been Activated why Validate over and over?

    Pointless if you ask me

    Clayton, Oct 2, 2007
  7. Provided we talk of the same 'Validation' - like I said, they are completely
    different issues. The Activation is ty'ing the OS to the Hardware it runs
    on, while the Validation is confirming that your OS is a valid copy - which,
    obviously, is something that they want you to do but specifically with
    certain types of downloads that wouldn't make any sense being broadcast to
    the general public. Beyond that, I imagine, for things like Beta's and
    Pre-views and Hotfixes there are lots of good reasons why you wouldn't want
    to lay them out for a public download.

    The 'funny' thing is, the validation seems to be recognized for multiple
    downloads during the same session, but come back later, and you'll have to
    do it again. O.K. it's irritating, but not really any big deal when you
    think about it. If you can be expected to want more of these within a short
    time-span, I'd suggest doing them all in one session. To the best of my
    knowledge, it will ease your experience somewhat. Microsoft seems to be
    particularly squirmish about hotfixes, probably because the download can be
    tied to the bugtracking. After all, these are candidates for inclusion in
    the next Service-Pack, and it is rather non-trivial wether or not they do in
    fact fix the issues they target.

    The Validation, really is one issue where I think a major manufacturer like
    MS is commendable for showing a bit of paranoia - because in this particular
    instance the paranoia follows the product and not the user. In the end it
    will come back as value for the user. As for the activation, this is a
    non-issue, for me, it is too trivial to spend time about. I've developed a
    spinal reaction and just press the button.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 2, 2007