    Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

    Many thanks
    JB

    Jayne Beaumont, Aug 24, 2006

  2. Jayne Beaumont wrote:

    > After trying to complete a Windows Update today, I have got a message saying
    > "Validation Not Complete:Invalid Product Key".

    It seems that you installed the Update "Windows Genuine Advantage",
    that is checking the product-key of your installation and starts
    nagging you if it thinks that you're using an illegal copy of
    Windows. You have to contact Microsoft and if they find out your
    retailer was really giving you an illegal copy of Windows, they
    "help you" purchase a new copy of Windows.

    You can find more informations about this tool at
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyValidate.aspx
    and read the FAQ about the tool
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#Question5Label
    especially the answer behind
    "What do I do if I fail the validation test, but am certain that I
    purchased/have a genuine copy?"

    Best regards, Lothar
    --
    Lothar Kimmeringer E-Mail:

    questions!

    Lothar Kimmeringer, Aug 24, 2006

  3. Jayne Beaumont

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:05:13 GMT, Jayne Beaumont wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I hope that someone can help.
    >
    >I purchased a brand new Evesham PC in November last year and it came
    >pre-installed with genuine Windows XP Pro. The PC came with a recovery CD.
    >
    >After trying to complete a Windows Update today, I have got a message saying
    >"Validation Not Complete:Invalid Product Key".
    >
    >I've never had any problems with this before and Windows Update has always
    >been fine. I won't be happy if I end up having to go and buy another copy
    >of XP when the one installed is genuine!!

    Update would have been fine, it's the validation tool that is the fun.

    Guessing at this point you aren't aware of how many people have come
    across this problem. It's simply another wat to make computing more fun.

    >Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

    I never let automatic updates run, and choose not to install certain
    updates, like the validation tool.

    www.google.com , searching for

    windows validation invalid product key

    1st 4 hits are,

    Genuine Microsoft Software | How to TellWindows Validation Assistant
    Questions. What is a Product Key? ... Our list of known invalid product
    keys is constantly being updated. ...
    www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/validation_faq.mspx -
    18k - Cached - Similar pages

    Genuine Microsoft SoftwareThe PCs came with a genuine COA, but Windows
    was installed using an invalid Product Key. For customers who have a
    legal Product Key from the COA or the ...
    www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/faq.aspx - 338k - 22 Aug 2006 -
    Cached - Similar pages

    Looking at the FAQ ,
    Q: What do I do if I fail the validation test, but am certain that I
    purchased/have a genuine copy?
    A: Contact the reseller that you purchased your PC from. If your
    reseller is unable to help you, contact your local Microsoft call
    center. The Microsoft call center agent can help you verify whether the
    Product Key installed on your PC is genuine. The majority of customers
    who fail validation purchased their PCs from system builders. The PCs
    came with a genuine COA, but Windows was installed using an invalid
    Product Key. For customers who have a legal Product Key from the COA or
    the backup media that came with the PC, the call center agent can point
    customers to a Product Key Update tool which customers can use to
    convert their system to genuine using the legit Product Key they have.

    XP: How to bypass validation to download updates when the product ...How
    to bypass the validation to download updates for xp computers when the
    product key is invalid. 1) Open Internet Explorer ...
    www.tech-recipes.com/windows_installation_tips999.html - 22k - 22 Aug
    2006 - Cached - Similar pages

    XP: Get Updates No Matter What or Change your Invalid Product Key ...XP:
    How to bypass validation to download updates when the product key is
    invalid Howto: Change Product Key without a Reinstall for WGA ...
    www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips1319.html - 23k - 22 Aug 2006 - Cached
    - Similar pages
    [ More results from www.tech-recipes.com ]

    >Many thanks