    application."

    Can anyone help me with this?

    Thanks. Tim
    Tim, Dec 2, 2009

  2. This indicates that the application (or _possibly_ just the installer) is a
    16-bit application. There is no support for 16 bit applications in 64-bit
    Windows. Your only solution is either updated versions, or running a virtual
    machine with an older version of Windows when you need the application.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 2, 2009

  3. Tim

    Drew Guest

    Some programs use setup.exe only for a front end to a .MSI file in which
    case you may be able to get around the 16-bit problem by right-clicking
    (delayed launch) the .MSI file and choosing Install from the context menu,
    or double-clicking the .MSI file (immediate launch).

    Drew

    Drew, Dec 2, 2009
  4. Tim

    Carlos Guest

    Drew,
    I can see you are an excellent pupil!
    Nice workaround.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 2, 2009
  5. Tim

    Drew Guest

    Hi Carlos,

    Actually, I think you might be mistaking me for the other Drew who posts
    here occasionally but I'll take the compliment on his behalf. ;)

    Thanks,
    Drew

    Drew, Dec 2, 2009
  6. This is a possible workaround for those installs that use MSI. But that is,
    unfortunately, not the case for most that have the 16-bit problem. However,
    it's certainly worth a try - if the source cd/dvd has a .msi file, try
    running that instead of setup.exe. It won't fix all setup-only 16-bit
    problems, but will get some.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 3, 2009
  7. Tim

    XS11E Guest

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote:

    > This indicates that the application (or _possibly_ just the
    > installer) is a 16-bit application. There is no support for 16 bit
    > applications in 64-bit Windows. Your only solution is either
    > updated versions, or running a virtual machine with an older
    > version of Windows when you need the application.

    Another solution that *might* work is to copy the entire application
    from Windows XP or earlier. There are a few 16 bit applications that
    do not use the registry and therefore do not require any installation.
    I've had success with one program by just copying the entire folder
    from 'Program Files' in XP to 'Program Files x86' in Vista (or Win7)
    and then creating a shortcut to the .exe file on the desktop.

    It only costs a few minutes to try it.

    PS: I copied the entire folder from an XP installation onto a flash
    drive and from there onto my Vista machine. It's worked with no
    problems of any kind.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    XS11E, Dec 3, 2009
  8. Certainly possible, IF the application doesn't use the registry, which some
    apps don't. But if the underlying app is 16 bit, that won't help, or if it
    really _needs_ to be installed, then it won't either. But, as you say, it
    costs very little to try.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 3, 2009