    HD into my Toshiba, but the connections are incompatible. Does anyone
    have any idea how I can get into this HD without another VAIO?
    Thanks.
    Scribner, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Is this a laptop you're discussing? If so adapters are available for
    plugging a 2 1/2" drive into a standard desktop which is what I do to
    recover data from dead laptops.

    btb
    Bruce T. Berger, Jul 8, 2003

  3. Scribner

    Stevo Guest

    Scribner wrote:
    > A friend's Vaio just died. It was on, then it went off. I'm able to
    > coax it back on, but I'm not getting power to the HD, screen, etc. I
    > don't know what the problem is, and I don't care. What I need to do
    > is to d/l some files off of the HD. I had hoped that I could plug the
    > HD into my Toshiba, but the connections are incompatible. Does anyone
    > have any idea how I can get into this HD without another VAIO?
    > Thanks.

    There are adaptors available to suit the 2.5" type HDD's which permit you to
    connect them to standard IDE cables and a standard HDD power cable.

    Try your local computer shop or even an electronics store. They only cost a
    few bucks and can be very useful in situations like yours, particularly if
    your OS can recognise the format/size of the laptop HDD so as you can browse
    the contents of the drive. You will need to power up your PC, after
    connecting the drive and making sure your BIOS is set to auto recognise
    HDD's.

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
    Stevo, Jul 8, 2003
  4. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 19:09:58 +1000, "Stevo"
    <> wrote:

    >Scribner wrote:
    >> A friend's Vaio just died. It was on, then it went off. I'm able to
    >> coax it back on, but I'm not getting power to the HD, screen, etc. I
    >> don't know what the problem is, and I don't care. What I need to do
    >> is to d/l some files off of the HD. I had hoped that I could plug the
    >> HD into my Toshiba, but the connections are incompatible. Does anyone
    >> have any idea how I can get into this HD without another VAIO?
    >> Thanks.

    >There are adaptors available to suit the 2.5" type HDD's which permit you to
    >connect them to standard IDE cables and a standard HDD power cable.
    >
    >Try your local computer shop or even an electronics store. They only cost a
    >few bucks and can be very useful in situations like yours, particularly if
    >your OS can recognise the format/size of the laptop HDD so as you can browse
    >the contents of the drive. You will need to power up your PC, after
    >connecting the drive and making sure your BIOS is set to auto recognise
    >HDD's.

    Yep. Thanks to all. After I posed my question, further research
    revealed this item. I just hope that Fry's has it. Once again,
    Thanks to all.
    Scribner, Jul 8, 2003