    check if its a software problem or some kind of hardware problem. Can
    anyone help?

    Thanx.
    D Bagshaw, Sep 6, 2003

  2. D Bagshaw

    °Mike° Guest

    Maybe the fan needs replacing. Here is a tutorial on taking a Sony
    laptop apart:
    http://www.myplc.com/sony/laptop_disassembly_and_processor.htm

    If you don't feel confident doing that, take it to a professional.

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 15:24:12 +0100, in
    <b6m6b.401$>
    D Bagshaw scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 6, 2003

  3. D Bagshaw

    JabberSmith Guest

    "D Bagshaw" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a Sony Vaio PCG-FX705 laptop and the fan only works on slow speed

    and
    > it keeps on crashing! Cannot find any adjustments in the power panel to
    > check if its a software problem or some kind of hardware problem. Can
    > anyone help?
    >
    > Thanx.

    Might try getting new chipset drivers (for the motherboard).

    I think Vaios use software to control the fan speeds (not hardware on the
    MOBO like a sensible company would do). I use various bootable CD versions
    of Linux on mine and the fan NEVER runs on it with those OSs.

    Could have a bad fan switch though, in that case it's an expensive fix.
    JabberSmith, Sep 7, 2003