VACATION s.e. is "rescored for home video" version

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by SDamien3, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. SDamien3

    SDamien3 Guest

    Subject header pretty much says it all ... though why Warner's couldn't see fit
    to inform customers by including a disclaimer on the box or flashing one in
    front of the actual movie is quite beyond my capacity.

    *blzzzzt*

    For anyone who never saw "Vacation" theatrically, Christie Brinkley's first
    appearance in the red Ferrari is supposed to be underscored with the Pointer
    Sisters song "I'm So Excited". Sheesh, couldn't Warner's throw the Pointers a
    few more bucks to resecure the rights for this so-called "20th Anniversary
    DVD"?
    SDamien3, Sep 4, 2003

  2. SDamien3

    Doonie Guest

    On 03 Sep 2003 23:57:10 GMT, SDamien3 wrote:

    >Subject header pretty much says it all ... though why Warner's couldn't see fit
    >to inform customers by including a disclaimer on the box or flashing one in
    >front of the actual movie is quite beyond my capacity.
    >
    >*blzzzzt*
    >
    >For anyone who never saw "Vacation" theatrically, Christie Brinkley's first
    >appearance in the red Ferrari is supposed to be underscored with the Pointer
    >Sisters song "I'm So Excited". Sheesh, couldn't Warner's throw the Pointers a
    >few more bucks to resecure the rights for this so-called "20th Anniversary
    >DVD"?

    This sucks! Do you recall any other places in the movie that
    they've changed the music?
    Doonie, Sep 4, 2003

  3. SDamien3

    SDamien3 Guest

    >>Subject header pretty much says it all ... though why Warner's couldn't see

    >fit
    >>to inform customers by including a disclaimer on the box or flashing one in
    >>front of the actual movie is quite beyond my capacity.
    >>
    >>*blzzzzt*
    >>
    >>For anyone who never saw "Vacation" theatrically, Christie Brinkley's first
    >>appearance in the red Ferrari is supposed to be underscored with the Pointer
    >>Sisters song "I'm So Excited". Sheesh, couldn't Warner's throw the Pointers

    >>few more bucks to resecure the rights for this so-called "20th Anniversary
    >>DVD"?

    > This sucks! Do you recall any other places in the movie that
    >they've changed the music?

    As far as I can recall, it's just that one song that's been replaced at that
    one pivotal moment.

    What sucks even worse is that some VHS sell-thru editions feature the original
    song intact (!), so obviously the suits cleared the copyrights at some point
    since the film's initial home video release.

    On a related note, I'm as happy as a clam that "Sixteen Candles" has finally
    been issued with its original theatrical score... as well as Grandma's
    previously missing-from-home-video quip to Long Duk Dong, "You little scuzbag!"
    (*kick!*)
    SDamien3, Sep 4, 2003
  4. SDamien3 <> wrote:

    > On a related note, I'm as happy as a clam that "Sixteen Candles" has finally
    > been issued with its original theatrical score...

    Along similar lines, does anyone know what was changed/missing in _The
    Breakfast Club_ in earlier home-video incarnations? I didn't notice
    anything being different from the tape I watched in the '80s: the Wang
    Chung "man who leads the way" song sounds a little oddly mixed (which I
    put down to the 5.1-channel remix), but it's definitely the same song.

    doug

    --

    ---------------Douglas Bailey ()---------------
    I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...
    Douglas Bailey, Sep 4, 2003
  5. SDamien3

    Si Guest

    "SDamien3" <> wrote in message

    > For anyone who never saw "Vacation" theatrically, Christie Brinkley's

    first
    > appearance in the red Ferrari is supposed to be underscored with the

    Pointer
    > Sisters song "I'm So Excited".

    What do they have now?

    Si
    Si, Sep 4, 2003
  6. SDamien3

    SDamien3 Guest

    >> For anyone who never saw "Vacation" theatrically, Christie Brinkley's
    >first
    >> appearance in the red Ferrari is supposed to be underscored with the

    >Pointer
    >> Sisters song "I'm So Excited".

    >What do they have now?

    Chapter 9: Instead of the song "I'm So Excited", what we now hear is the
    less-exciting song "Little Boy Sweet", which we're not "supposed" to hear until
    Chapter 14, when Chevy spots Christie during the family picnic.

    Perhaps the dubbers hadn't considered this, but the rescored film now has TWO
    repeating anthems: "Holiday Road" and "Little Boy Sweet". Yet only one of these
    ditties was intended to play over and over during the movie.
    SDamien3, Sep 4, 2003
  7. SDamien3

    John-Morgan Guest

    > Chapter 9: Instead of the song "I'm So Excited", what we now hear is the
    > less-exciting song "Little Boy Sweet", which we're not "supposed" to hear

    until
    > Chapter 14, when Chevy spots Christie during the family picnic.
    >
    > Perhaps the dubbers hadn't considered this, but the rescored film now has

    TWO
    > repeating anthems: "Holiday Road" and "Little Boy Sweet". Yet only one of

    these
    > ditties was intended to play over and over during the movie.

    Sometimes they show the "I'm So Excited" scene on the television version.
    But I never knew that was the original way it was meant to be. I was
    wondering why that song is listed in the credits of the SE DVD when it
    doesn't even appear in the movie (that version, anyway).

    Morgan
    John-Morgan, Sep 4, 2003
  8. On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 16:50:45 GMT, "John-Morgan" <>
    wrote:

    >> Chapter 9: Instead of the song "I'm So Excited", what we now hear is the
    >> less-exciting song "Little Boy Sweet", which we're not "supposed" to hear

    >until
    >> Chapter 14, when Chevy spots Christie during the family picnic.
    >>
    >> Perhaps the dubbers hadn't considered this, but the rescored film now has

    >TWO
    >> repeating anthems: "Holiday Road" and "Little Boy Sweet". Yet only one of

    >these
    >> ditties was intended to play over and over during the movie.
    >>

    >Sometimes they show the "I'm So Excited" scene on the television version.
    >But I never knew that was the original way it was meant to be. I was
    >wondering why that song is listed in the credits of the SE DVD when it
    >doesn't even appear in the movie (that version, anyway).
    >
    >Morgan

    The Region 2 disc is the same as far as "I'm so excited" goes. However
    on the Region 2 disc if you switch over the Italian Language track it
    correctly has "I'm so excited" during that time.

    I came up with a fix using a HTPC that automatically switches over
    tracks during this time.

    Has anybody switched over on the R1 20th Anniversary edition to the
    Spanish ,French or Portuguese tracks during this time? Perhaps it is
    the same situation as the Region 2 release so that they had to credit
    the song.
    H E Pennypacker, Sep 5, 2003
  9. SDamien3

    Stan Brown Guest

    Wallace and Gromit (Re: VACATION s.e. is "rescored for home video" version)

    In article <> in
    alt.video.dvd, Doonie <> wrote:

    > This sucks! Do you recall any other places in the movie that
    >they've changed the music?

    Not in that movie, but in /The Wrong Trousers/ (part of the
    Adventures of Wallace & Gromit/ DVD, when Gromit opens up his
    birthday card the chip plays an electronic version of some generic
    music. On the VHS, as in original release, it was "Happy Birthday".

    They also changed some of the songs that the Penguin played at full
    blast.

    Obviously they had the rights for the VHS; why on earth didn't they
    get them for the DVD? Somebody was being unreasonably greedy here.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Sep 5, 2003
  10. SDamien3

    Moviezzz Guest

    >What sucks even worse is that some VHS sell-thru editions feature the
    >original
    >song intact (!), so obviously the suits cleared the copyrights at some point
    >since the film's initial home video release.

    The VHS rights were secured way back when the film was first released. DVD
    didn't exist then so it wasn't part of it.
    Moviezzz, Sep 5, 2003
  11. SDamien3

    SDamien3 Guest

    >>What sucks even worse is that some VHS sell-thru editions feature the
    >>original
    >>song intact (!), so obviously the suits cleared the copyrights at some point
    >>since the film's initial home video release.

    >The VHS rights were secured way back when the film was first released.

    No, they weren't... the first VHS edition from 1983 is the RESCORED soundtrack
    version. A subsequent sell-thru remaster in the late '80s offered the ORIGINAL
    theatrical soundtrack version.

    > DVD
    >didn't exist then so it wasn't part of it.

    Yes, I realize this.

    cheers.
    SDamien3, Sep 6, 2003
  12. SDamien3

    SDamien3 Guest

    >Has anybody switched over on the R1 20th Anniversary edition to the
    >Spanish ,French or Portuguese tracks during this time? Perhaps it is
    >the same situation as the Region 2 release so that they had to credit
    >the song.

    Well, holy shite! The French track plays the original "I'm So Excited", but
    without the audio of the family squabbling in the background; both the Spanish
    and Portuguese tracks also play the proper song, with the foreign-dubbed
    bickering audible in the background.

    As fas as this scene goes, the foreign tracks are all are preferable to the
    "Rescored for Americans" English version.

    cheers!
    SDamien3, Sep 6, 2003
  13. SDamien3

    Jeffman Guest

    After reviewing my old VHS, the original fullfram DVD that my friend owns
    and my new SE DVD of Vacation, I found that they all have "Little Boy
    Sweet" playing during the first scene.

    When I check IMDB, they say...

    "Some prints play different music during Christie Brinkley's scenes" and

    "And the original song that plays whenever Christine Brinkley drove by was
    changed to "I'm so excited" in all encounters, except when the family is
    eating at a picnic and Clark spots her at a truck stop"

    So who knows which is correct.

    All I know is that you can see more of the nude shower scene in the
    fullscreen version for some reason also....LOL.

    Jeffman
    Jeffman, Sep 7, 2003
  14. Re: Wallace and Gromit (Re: VACATION s.e. is "rescored for home video" version)

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > In article <> in
    > alt.video.dvd, Doonie <> wrote:

    > birthday card the chip plays an electronic version of some generic
    > music. On the VHS, as in original release, it was "Happy Birthday".

    This may tip my decision on buying the DVD to not. Doesn't the rights for
    Happy Birthday pay into a charity or something? Why did they have to leave
    that out? It makes no sense to not play it on a birthday card.

    Steve
    Steve Knoblock, Sep 7, 2003
  15. Re: Wallace and Gromit (Re: VACATION s.e. is "rescored for home video" version)

    Steve Knoblock <> wrote:
    > "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message

    > > birthday card the chip plays an electronic version of some generic
    > > music. On the VHS, as in original release, it was "Happy Birthday".

    > This may tip my decision on buying the DVD to not. Doesn't the rights for
    > Happy Birthday pay into a charity or something? Why did they have to leave
    > that out? It makes no sense to not play it on a birthday card.

    The original R1 DVD release -- the 20th-Century Fox one, as opposed to
    the later Warner disc -- has "Happy Birthday" instead of the generic
    substitute song. This disc is long OOP, but I'm sure there are copies
    floating around on the used market.

    HTH,

    doug

    Douglas Bailey, Sep 8, 2003
  16. SDamien3

    jayembee Guest

    Douglas Bailey <> wrote:

    > The original R1 DVD release -- the 20th-Century Fox one,
    > as opposed to the later Warner disc -- has "Happy Birthday"
    > instead of the generic substitute song. This disc is long
    > OOP, but I'm sure there are copies floating around on the
    > used market.

    Thanks, Doug. I could've sworn I remembered "Happy Birthday"
    on the DVD, but hadn't had a chance to check my copy (I've
    got the Fox edition, too).

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Sep 8, 2003