    16hrs traveling time.

    We are thinking the Smokies, but looking for suggestions.

    Thanks!

    Xao, Sep 9, 2004

  2. Xao

    Mike McCloud Guest

    "Xao" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm planning on going on vacation next week, going to be camping,
    > hiking, and riding a little single track.
    >
    > Does anyone have any recommendations on places to go that would have
    > stunning nature/beauty for taking pictures while we are out?
    >
    > We are in Central Illinois and want to go someplace that is within
    > 16hrs traveling time.
    >
    > We are thinking the Smokies, but looking for suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Yellowstone

    Mike McCloud, Sep 9, 2004

  3. Xao

    Jim Guest

    "Mike McCloud" <> wrote in message

    > Yellowstone

    And Grand Tetons
    Jim

    Jim, Sep 9, 2004
  4. Xao

    Guest

    Xao wrote:

    > I'm planning on going on vacation next week, going to be camping,
    > hiking, and riding a little single track.
    >
    > Does anyone have any recommendations on places to go that would have
    > stunning nature/beauty for taking pictures while we are out?
    >
    > We are in Central Illinois and want to go someplace that is within
    > 16hrs traveling time.
    >
    > We are thinking the Smokies, but looking for suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks!

    On the long end of your travel time: Lake Superior. Particularly the
    north shore north of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. The Michigan side
    isn't bad but the views along Highway 17 and the provincial park there
    can be spectacular.

    At least I like it.

    The Michigan and Wisconsin side isn't bad either but not as dramatic
    for long stretches, though Michigan's Pictured Rocks, Keweenaw
    Peninsula and Porcupine Mountains are worth a look.

    --Rod
    Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
    and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
    http://www.rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html.

    To reply take the extra "o" out of the name.

    , Sep 9, 2004
  5. Xao

    Bryce Guest

    Great pictures?

    You can take great pictures of a rock in a bucket of water if you do it
    right?

    Bryce, Sep 9, 2004
  6. Xao

    Mark Weaver Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Xao wrote:
    >
    > > I'm planning on going on vacation next week, going to be camping,
    > > hiking, and riding a little single track.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any recommendations on places to go that would have
    > > stunning nature/beauty for taking pictures while we are out?
    > >
    > > We are in Central Illinois and want to go someplace that is within
    > > 16hrs traveling time.
    > >

    > On the long end of your travel time: Lake Superior. Particularly the
    > north shore north of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. The Michigan side
    > isn't bad but the views along Highway 17 and the provincial park there
    > can be spectacular.

    I'd also suggest considering the north shore of Lake Huron east of Sault Ste
    Marie. Some of the best scenery is accessible only by boat (the Benjamin
    Island Group, Baie Fine) but Kilarney Provincial Park is great for hiking,
    camping, and kayak/canoe camping. The town of Kilarney, near the park, is
    cool, laid-back little place full of old Subarus with kayak-racks. And
    there are even some photography workshops offered (though I've never done
    one, so I can't say personally if they're any good or not):

    http://www.killarney.com/Outdoors_guided_trips/Art_photography_workshops/index.html

    It should be well within the 16 hour driving range of Central
    Illinois--since it takes us only about 8 hours from SE Michigan (and that's
    towing a 26-foot sailboat). Here are a few shots from trips that last
    couple of years:

    http://www.fototime.com/821F1C10D7699B0/standard.jpg
    http://www.fototime.com/D636A53DCE49614/standard.jpg
    http://www.fototime.com/1B365D77751EC4E/standard.jpg
    http://www.fototime.com/689435E3B88056D/standard.jpg
    http://www.fototime.com/F84EE896D02487C/standard.jpg
    http://www.fototime.com/CD33EA9FE318E25/standard.jpg
    http://www.fototime.com/F7379FF9C18F9FF/standard.jpg

    The whole album from this year is here:

    http://www.fototime.com/inv/BF8338C54E11364

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, Sep 9, 2004
  7. Xao

    grenner Guest

    You are right,

    Rock in a Bucket National Park is beautiful

    grenner, Sep 9, 2004
  8. Xao

    Ken Oaf Guest

    On 9 Sep 2004 07:19:39 -0700, (Xao) wrote:

    > I'm planning on going on vacation next week, going to be camping,
    > hiking, and riding a little single track.
    >
    > Does anyone have any recommendations on places to go that would have
    > stunning nature/beauty for taking pictures while we are out?
    >
    > We are in Central Illinois and want to go someplace that is within
    > 16hrs traveling time.
    >
    > We are thinking the Smokies, but looking for suggestions.

    Travel a bit further and visit beautiful Australia!

    Ken Oaf, Sep 9, 2004
  9. "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > "Mike McCloud" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Yellowstone
    > >

    > And Grand Tetons
    > Jim

    Both great choices, but I doubt he can drive there from Illinois in 16
    hours.
    I'd go to Shenandoa (sp?)

    The Ancient One, Sep 10, 2004
  10. Xao

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Xao wrote:

    > I'm planning on going on vacation next week, going to be camping,
    > hiking, and riding a little single track.
    >
    > Does anyone have any recommendations on places to go that would have
    > stunning nature/beauty for taking pictures while we are out?
    >
    > We are in Central Illinois and want to go someplace that is within
    > 16hrs traveling time.
    >
    > We are thinking the Smokies, but looking for suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks!

    The Smokies would be great. Lots of opportunities.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 10, 2004
  11. Xao

    Chris Myers Guest

    Shenandoah NP is nice this time of year. Lots of waterfalls and
    hiking/camping areas. I'm about 20 minutes from one of the entrances and do
    a great deal of photographing there. Also, if you get lost, we have a great
    Search and Rescue team here (BRMRG). :)

    Chris

    Chris Myers, Sep 10, 2004
  12. Xao

    Mike McCloud Guest

    "The Ancient One" <> wrote in message

    > "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mike McCloud" <> wrote in message
    > > >

    > > > Yellowstone
    > > >

    > > And Grand Tetons
    > > Jim
    > >

    > Both great choices, but I doubt he can drive there from Illinois in 16
    > hours.
    > I'd go to Shenandoa (sp?)

    True...but the extra driving time is more than worth it. I've been to
    Shenadoah too, but Yellowstone is the "Greatest Show on Earth"

    Mike McCloud, Sep 10, 2004
  13. In article <>,
    (Xao) writes:

    >I'm planning on going on vacation next week, going to be camping,
    >hiking, and riding a little single track.
    >
    >Does anyone have any recommendations on places to go that would have
    >stunning nature/beauty for taking pictures while we are out?
    >
    >We are in Central Illinois and want to go someplace that is within
    >16hrs traveling time.
    >
    >We are thinking the Smokies, but looking for suggestions.

    Door County, Wisconsin (just north of Milwaukee) is the
    'thumb' in Wisconsin's mitten. Door County peninsula is
    a wonderful place for cyclists, a tourist area that is
    _not_ crowded after Labor Day (no accommodations or
    reservations problems), and has several islands reachable
    by public ferries.

    No camping, no hiking, but highly recommended.
    Take a sweater.

    'Hope that helps.

    Richard Ballard MSEE CNA4 KD0AZ
    --
    Consultant specializing in computer networks, imaging & security
    Listed as rjballard in "Friends & Favorites" at www.amazon.com
    Last book review: "Guerrilla Television" by Michael Shamberg

    Richard Ballard, Sep 10, 2004
  14. "Mike McCloud" <> wrote in message

    > "The Ancient One" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Mike McCloud" <> wrote in message

    > > > And Grand Tetons
    > > > Jim
    > > >

    > > Both great choices, but I doubt he can drive there from Illinois in 16
    > > hours.
    > > I'd go to Shenandoa (sp?)

    > True...but the extra driving time is more than worth it. I've been to
    > Shenadoah too, but Yellowstone is the "Greatest Show on Earth"

    I visited Yellowstone in 2001 and again in 2003. Can't wait to go back, it
    is indeed worth the trip.

    The Ancient One, Sep 10, 2004
  15. Xao

    Frank Guest

    Look here this is the Smokies.
    http://www.beanpotcampground.net/

    Frank, Sep 11, 2004
  16. Xao

    Tak Chow Guest

    I think the Smokies is great this time of year when the crowd is gone. U can
    visit either Cades Cove or Cataloochee valley. Both have abundant wildlife
    and lots of old buildings worthwhile to visit. Cataloochee also has an
    excellent trout stream if u love fishing.

    Tak Chow, Sep 12, 2004
  17. Xao

    L. Santer Guest

    A day's drive will get you out to the badlands of South Dakota. Then
    from there, you call in sick at work, take another day or two and go
    a little further west into Montana/Idaho where you really will see
    amber waves of grain. Brought tears to my eyes. But the badlands are
    doable.

    L. Santer, Sep 12, 2004
  18. Xao

    Guest

    (Xao) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I'm planning on going on vacation next week, going to be camping,
    > hiking, and riding a little single track.
    >
    > Does anyone have any recommendations on places to go that would have
    > stunning nature/beauty for taking pictures while we are out?
    >
    > We are in Central Illinois and want to go someplace that is within
    > 16hrs traveling time.
    >
    > We are thinking the Smokies, but looking for suggestions.

    Um. I think you are making a mistake to pick your vacation spot
    on the basis of "great photos." Unless you are Mr. Super Photo,
    holiday snaps come back pretty much benign at best and the tortures
    of the damned in the usual case.

    Look for a place that has the activities you enjoy. Are you a hiker?
    A paddler? A rock climber? Or do you just enjoy sitting about 50 feet
    from the car with the BBQ and a beer? Pick what you are going to enjoy
    while you are there. Buy a couple postcards, snap a few pics of those
    silly squirrels begging for food at the park gate, and just don't
    worry too much about doing the photo journalism thing. Enjoy the trip
    while you are there. Don't worry yourself into not enjoying it by
    struggling to get the perfect photo. Trust me, if it really is all
    that scenic, there have been tens of thousands of better photographers
    there ahead of you.

    Look at the scenery with your eyes first. Take photos of the antics
    of the folks you went outdoors with.

    Unless, of course, you are Mr. Super Photo. That would be if you've
    gotten money for a photograph.
    Socks

    , Sep 13, 2004
  19. Xao

    Mark Weaver Guest

    > > I'm planning on going on vacation next week, going to be camping,
    > > hiking, and riding a little single track.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any recommendations on places to go that would have
    > > stunning nature/beauty for taking pictures while we are out?
    > >

    > Um. I think you are making a mistake to pick your vacation spot
    > on the basis of "great photos." Unless you are Mr. Super Photo,
    > holiday snaps come back pretty much benign at best and the tortures
    > of the damned in the usual case.
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    > Don't worry yourself into not enjoying it by
    > struggling to get the perfect photo. Trust me, if it really is all
    > that scenic, there have been tens of thousands of better photographers
    > there ahead of you.

    Well, I disagree. Yes -- we do pick vacation spots based on what we're
    going to do there, not because of the photo potential. And beautiful
    scenery matters, but mainly because we enjoy being in the midst of it, not
    as subject matter.

    However -- I don't lay claim to being 'Mr Super Photo', but it just doesn't
    matter if countless photographers have been there before me (as they have),
    because 1) I don't have their images, and 2) they did not take their photos
    when and where I did. So, for example, here's a postcard sort of shot:

    http://www.fototime.com/1E3B785DF60AC26/orig.jpg

    You probably see: A pretty but unremarkable scene.

    I see: The first day of our trip. The dog and I:

    http://www.fototime.com/36A5D94535F18B8/standard.jpg

    are out exploring, enjoying a walk, a cup of coffee, and the early morning
    sun. The rest of the family are still snoozing in one of the boats down
    there (that little one with the green dingy).

    > Buy a couple postcards, snap a few pics of those
    > silly squirrels begging for food at the park gate, and just don't
    > worry too much about doing the photo journalism thing. Enjoy the trip
    > while you are there.

    I don't agree. Of course, you don't want to get so wrapped up in the
    photography that you neglect to actually experience the trip while you're on
    it. On the other hand, having photos like these, will help me keep enjoying
    the trip long after it's over:

    http://www.fototime.com/394704F99D51FA8/standard.jpg
    http://www.fototime.com/CD33EA9FE318E25/standard.jpg
    http://www.fototime.com/25843ABD4C22D32/standard.jpg

    And that's not to mention that I enjoy the photography as I do the sailing,
    hiking, swimming, and hanging out with the family.

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, Sep 13, 2004