UV / poloriser filters for Canol 3SIS - help please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dianne, Jul 29, 2006.

  1. Dianne

    Dianne Guest

    I have been into 3 camera dealers locally and neither could tell/show me
    how I can fit a UV filer or a poloriser to the Powershot 3SIS...they
    either didn't have the adapter, had the adapter and a filter but
    couldn't make it all fit together, or didn't have either. I am in a
    rural area and there is not much choice in camera dealers here in remote
    Australia so I've come to you for help.

    If you use a 3SIS or 2SIS and use these filters could you please tell me
    how you do it?
    Is there another coupling needed beside the LAH-DC20 lens adapter?
    What size is the filter (I already have 58mm thread filters I'm using on
    my EOS gear).
    Can the filter remain on the camera permanently? ie does the lens
    retract properly?
    Does the camera start to get a bit deep with the adapter always
    fitted..normal size is 113 x 78 x 75.5 mm...what size is it with the
    adapter and a filter?

    Sorry about all these questions - I really appreciate any help I can get
    from those who have some experience with this camera (or 2sis) ... my
    location makes it difficult to just approach another camera store.

    Thank you.
    Dianne

    Dianne, Jul 29, 2006

  2. Dianne

    sally Guest

    Dianne <> wrote in
    > If you use a 3SIS or 2SIS and use these filters could you please
    > tell me how you do it?
    > Is there another coupling needed beside the LAH-DC20 lens adapter?
    > What size is the filter (I already have 58mm thread filters I'm
    > using on my EOS gear).
    > Can the filter remain on the camera permanently? ie does the lens
    > retract properly?
    > Does the camera start to get a bit deep with the adapter always
    > fitted..normal size is 113 x 78 x 75.5 mm...what size is it with the
    > adapter and a filter?

    1. Your owners manual has instructions for installing the lens adapter.
    It is very easy. You need to push the button under your lens.

    2. The adapter uses standard 58mm filters.

    3. You can leave the adapter permanently attached, but it does make the
    camera somewhat bigger. If your current camera bag is a tight fit, you
    will need a somewhat larger bag. The new size is similar to the camera
    size with the lens fully extended.

    sally, Jul 29, 2006

  3. Dianne

    Dianne Guest

    Thank you Sally. Sounds like it is no problem at all. Pity the filters
    don't just fit onto the lens barrel itself, though.

    Thanks for your fast reply :)

    Dianne

    Dianne, Jul 29, 2006
  4. Dianne

    DHB Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 02:25:22 GMT, Dianne <> wrote:

    >Thank you Sally. Sounds like it is no problem at all. Pity the filters
    >don't just fit onto the lens barrel itself, though.
    >
    >Thanks for your fast reply :)
    >
    >Dianne

    Dianne,
    There is very good reasons way most if not all digital
    camera manufactures have opted for this system.

    1> It in no way adds weight to the lens system itself because it never
    touches it. (So no added effort needed on the part of the lens
    motor(s) when extending, retracting or focusing). This might seem
    minor until somebody screws a heavy Wide Angle (WA) or Tele-Converter
    (TC) photo adapter on to it.

    2> The above would not only add more stress to the lens motor(s) but
    also the bearings. This would result in more wear, it would use more
    power & likely also cause some optical misalignment when the lens was
    fully extended.

    3> Many people might damage the lens treads swapping filters often or
    they might cause damage by over tightening a filter, similar problems
    could result if 1 does not come off easily. Much cheaper to buy a new
    filter adapter (user replaceable) than it would be to have the camera
    sent in for repairs.

    4> The filter adapter has the added benefit of protecting the extended
    lens from getting bumped & also provides "some" protection from
    blowing sand & rain from possibly causing damage to the lens,
    especially when it's fully extended.

    5> I find it faster & easier to change filter adapter rings than the
    filters alone. Thus if you routinely swap between 2 or more filters,
    you may find it easier to have them already mounted onto separate lens
    adapters & swap the whole thing.

    6> Lastly it's another way for the manufacturer to potentially make
    money selling you a lens adapter or 2.

    A last not to consider is that 52mm filters are very common &
    usually cheaper than a 58mm filter of the same type, especially true
    for quality circular polorizers. So you may want to consider a 3rd
    party adapter that will allow you to use the smaller filters without
    problems.

    Here is a link to a well know vendor but there are others:

    http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/S2.html

    I have used their adapters on my Canon G2 & A610 & am very
    pleased with the results.

    Hope you & or others find this information useful.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Jul 31, 2006