    Does anyone have any experience of this handset and it's reliability.
    Am I missing something here looking at the price v facilities?

    Jack.

    Jack, Dec 28, 2008

  2. In article <>,
    Jack <> wrote:
    >I notice that the UTStarcom GF-210 handset is available from Sipgate
    >for £49. On the face of it, this works as a GSM mobile and WiFi
    >handset to allow logging into a SIP provider.
    >
    >The cost seems very low when compared with something like a Nokia
    >6300i which appears to me to do the same job.
    >
    >Does anyone have any experience of this handset and it's reliability.
    >Am I missing something here looking at the price v facilities?

    I hope the SIP side is better than their F1000Gs... Which I bought some
    time back. It worked, but was never that stable. It seemed to get worse
    after I upgraded the firmware in it. Shame really - it's now gathering
    dust.

    What I *really* want is a Mobile phone with a DECT interface in it,
    not rubbishy Wi-Fi.

    The biggest issues I had with the Wi-Fi F1000G was actually making it
    connect to a hot-spot when away from home. Most hot-spots need some sort
    of authentication (even the free ones I've used recently), so require
    a web browser to be part of the device - not much of an issue with a
    laptop, harder with my Nokia E90, but not impossible (that is, when the
    hot-spot doesn't block SIP!), but how will this work in anything other
    than a network over which you have control of?

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Dec 28, 2008

  3. "Jack" <> wrote in message
    >I notice that the UTStarcom GF-210 handset is available from Sipgate
    > for £49. On the face of it, this works as a GSM mobile and WiFi
    > handset to allow logging into a SIP provider.
    >
    > The cost seems very low when compared with something like a Nokia
    > 6300i which appears to me to do the same job.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience of this handset and it's reliability.
    > Am I missing something here looking at the price v facilities?
    >
    > Jack.

    Is this phone locked to Sipgate and I presume you supply your own SIM for
    the GSM bit?

    A.N. Onymous Esq, Dec 28, 2008
  4. Jack

    Graham. Guest

    > What I *really* want is a Mobile phone with a DECT interface in it,
    > not rubbishy Wi-Fi.

    I suppose that would make it sex-band??

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Dec 29, 2008
  5. Jack

    Jack Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:44:22 -0000, "A.N. Onymous Esq" <no.spam@me>
    wrote:

    >Is this phone locked to Sipgate and I presume you supply your own SIM for
    >the GSM bit?

    This thread hasn't generated very many replies so I imagine this phone
    isn't very popular. Maybe I should take that as a bad omen.

    I don't believe it is locked to Sipgate, rather you just put in your
    Sip provider and WiFi settings and it logs onto your service via a
    wireless access point. There is an option to have the phone
    pre-configured to Sipgate which costs an extra £19 I believe.

    I also assume that you put your own GSM SIM in the phone for normal on
    the move 'mobile' operation.

    It's a pity that nobody seems to have one or know of one in use as
    even at its fairly low cost it could be a complete waste of money if
    the performance is poor.

    Jack, Jan 4, 2009
  6. Jack

    Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 11:36:57 +0000, Jack
    <> wrote:

    >It's a pity that nobody seems to have one or know of one in use as
    >even at its fairly low cost it could be a complete waste of money if
    >the performance is poor.

    Can't comment on this particular one but I have two F1000's and they
    are nothing short of perfect .

    , Jan 4, 2009