    regular utp cable (not meaning cat 6 or 7)? What then happens to the
    100-meter limit? Thanks for any help explaining this.

    , Sep 28, 2007

  2. Shel-hed Guest

    Hi speed digital is very different than what voice demands.

    Shel-hed, Sep 28, 2007

  3. wrote:
    > I have been reading in a network+ book about network cabling. I am
    > relatively new to this subject and had understood that cat 5 utp cable
    > was limited to 100-meter runs between switches or switch-to-
    > workstation. With no explanation, the book has a table describing utp
    > cable runs in the following manner:
    >
    > cross connects to telecommunications closet: 800 m (voice
    > specification)
    > cross connects to equipment room: 300 m
    > equipment room to telecommunications closet: 500 m
    >
    > Can someone who really understands network cabling verify for me that
    > this means that you can reasonably have 800-meter cable runs with
    > regular utp cable (not meaning cat 6 or 7)? What then happens to the
    > 100-meter limit? Thanks for any help explaining this.

    I've worked with UTP Cat5 quite a bit, the limit for data is supposed to
    be 100 meters. I've gone way beyond that several time, not a problem
    that I've experienced. When I get a 1000 foot roll, I sometimes will
    connect the beginning and the end between a couple of computers. So far,
    it works. Maybe it's not as fast as a 50 foot run, but hardly noticeable
    difference. There's a ton of information on Google, but I'm not a big
    believer in stated statistics unless there's something to back it up.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 28, 2007