    Close utorrent & I can get good speeds iin other programs again : wackget is
    currently downloading at 170 k/s & Ares at 30k/s

    Is utorrent using my bandwidth for other things??

    S Roby, Feb 16, 2006

  2. S Roby

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:49:07 +0000, S Roby wrote:

    > Is utorrent sucking all my bandwidth??
    > When utorrent is running my download speeds for other proggies starts to drop
    > to dick all (excuse the techie terminology)
    > When utorrent is downloading & uploading(seeding??) at slow speed(>10ks) the
    > bandwidth available to me dies, cant even open the trademe site quickly
    > Close utorrent & I can get good speeds iin other programs again : wackget is
    > currently downloading at 170 k/s & Ares at 30k/s
    >
    > Is utorrent using my bandwidth for other things??

    No, it's the fact that you only have a massive 128k upload speed. If you
    allow your torrent to use any appreciable abount, then nothing else can
    get through. I found that 40k in use for torrent uploads will stop most
    other services dead. Limit to 10k and it seems to be ok.

    Steve

    Steve, Feb 16, 2006

  3. S Roby

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 06:14:33 +1300, Steve <>
    exclaimed:

    >On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:49:07 +0000, S Roby wrote:
    >
    >> Is utorrent sucking all my bandwidth??
    >> When utorrent is running my download speeds for other proggies starts to drop
    >> to dick all (excuse the techie terminology)
    >> When utorrent is downloading & uploading(seeding??) at slow speed(>10ks) the
    >> bandwidth available to me dies, cant even open the trademe site quickly
    >> Close utorrent & I can get good speeds iin other programs again : wackget is
    >> currently downloading at 170 k/s & Ares at 30k/s
    >>
    >> Is utorrent using my bandwidth for other things??

    >No, it's the fact that you only have a massive 128k upload speed. If you
    >allow your torrent to use any appreciable abount, then nothing else can
    >get through. I found that 40k in use for torrent uploads will stop most
    >other services dead. Limit to 10k and it seems to be ok.

    40k and 10k? Huh?

    Steve is correct, however 10kBps (kilo BYTES per second) is 80kbps.
    With 128k upload, that leaves 48k for other stuff, including ACKs from
    your torrents, and will actually speed up your torrents, too.

    However, if you don't want your browsing murdered much at all, limit
    uTorrent to 8kBps, which is 64kbps, half of your upload speed.

    I'm not sure where 40kBps came from - the max you can get on 128kbps
    upload is, of course, 16kBps.

    For those unsure where these calculations come from, it's simply that
    there are 8 bits in a byte.

    Fred Dagg, Feb 16, 2006
  4. S Roby

    Mark C Guest

    le (S Roby) wrote in

    > Is utorrent sucking all my bandwidth??
    > When utorrent is running my download speeds for other proggies
    > starts to drop to dick all (excuse the techie terminology)
    > When utorrent is downloading & uploading(seeding??) at slow
    > speed(>10ks) the bandwidth available to me dies, cant even open
    > the trademe site quickly Close utorrent & I can get good speeds
    > iin other programs again : wackget is currently downloading at
    > 170 k/s & Ares at 30k/s

    Make sure you have tuned your TCP settings, particularly RWIN:
    http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
    (Select "Jump to topic" and try Tweaktester and RWIN.)

    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/tweaks

    If your RWIN is too small, your upload bandwidth could become chocked
    with ACK packets and downloading could stall.

    Mark

    Mark C, Feb 17, 2006
  5. S Roby

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:19:43 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > Steve is correct, however 10kBps (kilo BYTES per second) is 80kbps.
    > With 128k upload, that leaves 48k for other stuff, including ACKs from
    > your torrents, and will actually speed up your torrents, too.

    The ACKs from uploading come via the download channel yes?

    Gordon, Feb 17, 2006
  6. S Roby

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Gordon <> wrote in news:pan.2006.02.17.05.04.10.920489
    @yahoo.com:

    > Try this to shed some light on the OSI model and a general overview on

    how the TCP/IP networking works (a major part of the internet)
    http://www.warriorsofthe.net/

    Another good place is here:
    http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/intermediate.html#delayed-ack

    It is dated, but has some consice definitions of what ACK is used for.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 17, 2006