    he'll stop sending them. Is there a utility anywhere (preferable free) I
    could use to do this?

    Cheers.

    JJ, Apr 10, 2008

  2. JJ

    Thip Guest

    "JJ" <> wrote in message
    news:QHvLj.21984$2...
    >I have a 'friend' who sends me loads of dumb emails every day with huge
    >videos attached...'a real nuisance.
    > He sends them to a whole list at once...'and I'm on that list.
    > I don't want to upset him by telling him to f*ck off, but I want to
    > somehow have him think my server is bouncing emails with attachments, and
    > hopefully he'll stop sending them. Is there a utility anywhere (preferable
    > free) I could use to do this?
    >
    > Cheers.

    I haven't used one in years, but there are free e-mail checkers that will
    let you delete messages off the server without downloading them. Since you
    don't want to upset your friend, that might be an option. I'm opposed to
    bouncing, especially with large files.

    Try looking here:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/comm/fwemcheck.html
    Thip, Apr 10, 2008

  3. JJ

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    JJ added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    > I have a 'friend' who sends me loads of dumb emails every day
    > with huge videos attached...'a real nuisance.
    > He sends them to a whole list at once...'and I'm on that list.
    > I don't want to upset him by telling him to f*ck off, but I want
    > to somehow have him think my server is bouncing emails with
    > attachments, and hopefully he'll stop sending them. Is there a
    > utility anywhere (preferable free) I could use to do this?

    No need to bash your friend, if he is really a "friend" and not just
    a casual acquaintance will poor manners. How about just politely
    telling him that you don't find the videos enjoyable and you'd
    appreciate him taking you out of his group list. People usually
    respond to polite requests.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    "That's all I have to say about that" - Forrest Gump
    HEMI-Powered, Apr 10, 2008
  4. JJ

    VanguardLH Guest

    JJ wrote:

    > I have a 'friend' who sends me loads of dumb emails every day with huge
    > videos attached...'a real nuisance.
    > He sends them to a whole list at once...'and I'm on that list.
    > I don't want to upset him by telling him to f*ck off, but I want to somehow
    > have him think my server is bouncing emails with attachments, and hopefully
    > he'll stop sending them. Is there a utility anywhere (preferable free) I
    > could use to do this?

    Doesn't sound like a friend, to me. I have friends that have added me
    to their "jokes" distro. I simply tell them to remove me and they do.
    There is no animosity involved.

    YOU are not involved in the mail session to be sure just who is the
    sending mail host to know where to bounce your bogus NDR (non-delivery
    report). Any innocent getting "bounce spam" can report you to the
    public blacklists because of your misdirected backscatter. Bouncing
    from the client end is just plain stupid. Instead see if you can define
    a block list up on the mail server by using the webmail interface to
    your e-mail account. How your e-mail provider's mail server handles the
    blocked e-mails depends on how they handle blocklists. Most still will
    accept any e-mails that pass the provider's own blacklist(s) and then
    deliver it. They really cannot afford to attempt delivery to check if
    the status says the e-mail got rejected because of a personal block list
    at each recipient's mailbox. So it is likely that a server-side
    blacklist will just auto-trash the blocked e-mail. But then if your
    "friend" is unwilling to stop sending you their crap then you can decide
    to automatically flush ALL their e-mails - and tell them so since they
    may want to send you other e-mails and decide that they really should
    stop sending you their crap stuff. The server-side blacklist probably
    lets you move the unwanted e-mails into a junk or trash folder where it
    remains for awhile, so you could retrieve it after a few days if you
    really wanted it by moving it back into the Inbox or just viewing it in
    the junk/trash folder using the webmail interface.

    You never bothered to announce WHICH e-mail client you use. Some let
    you *not* download e-mails that exceed a specified size. So you
    download all e-mails except those that exceed the threshold. However,
    those e-mails remain in your mailbox and consume your disk quota so you
    will have to occasionally download and delete them or use the webmail
    interface to delete them.
    VanguardLH, Apr 10, 2008
  5. JJ

    Guest

    "JJ" <> wrote:

    >I have a 'friend' who sends me loads of dumb emails every day with huge
    >videos attached...'a real nuisance.
    >He sends them to a whole list at once...'and I'm on that list.
    >I don't want to upset him by telling him to f*ck off, but I want to somehow
    >have him think my server is bouncing emails with attachments, and hopefully
    >he'll stop sending them. Is there a utility anywhere (preferable free) I
    >could use to do this?

    Mail washer will bounce his email
    http://www.mailwasher.net/

    As far as I know this is free, but I haven't used it since 3.1

    --

    Moments
    http://funtasticus.com/20080409/catch-the-moment/
  6. JJ

    JJ Guest

    "Lookout" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:32:32 +0100, "JJ" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have a 'friend' who sends me loads of dumb emails every day with huge
    >>videos attached...'a real nuisance.
    >>He sends them to a whole list at once...'and I'm on that list.
    >>I don't want to upset him by telling him to f*ck off, but I want to
    >>somehow
    >>have him think my server is bouncing emails with attachments, and
    >>hopefully
    >>he'll stop sending them. Is there a utility anywhere (preferable free) I
    >>could use to do this?
    >>
    >>Cheers.

    > Believe me you're not the only one who should tell him to knock it
    > off. I'd send a return email to EVERYONE ON THE LIST and ask him to
    > stop. Watch what happens. You'll be a hero!

    I'd love to be a hero...'but he's not that easy to put off as he thinks
    everyone should read/see his stuff. The problem is, he sends it to app., 40
    folk, who then send it to another 40 folk and so on, and if any one of those
    folk send (forward) 'him' a mail with attachments, he forwards the lot to
    'his' list of addresses and we end up seeing all their email addys as well.
    It's got to be dangerous for sure, but he's the type of 'friend' who thinks
    this is funny and I'd be a 'loser' for not joining in, He'd take it to heart
    and we'd fall out over it....'I know.

    JJ, Apr 11, 2008
  7. Mitch wrote:

    > In article <QHvLj.21984$2>, JJ
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 'friend' who sends me loads of dumb emails every day with huge
    >> videos attached...'a real nuisance.
    >> He sends them to a whole list at once...'and I'm on that list. I don't
    >> want to upset him by telling him to f*ck off, but I want to somehow
    >> have him think my server is bouncing emails with attachments, and
    >> hopefully he'll stop sending them. Is there a utility anywhere
    >> (preferable free) I could use to do this?

    > Wrong solution; YOU might solve it, but everyone else on that long list
    > is going to continue to suffer.
    >
    > Make him stop. Seriously -- force it. Show him how much better a Web
    > site is for such garbage. Show him that e-mail isn't for attachments.
    > Explain to him that if you or anyone else were to lose an important
    > message because you've got a ninja kitten movie filling the in box,
    > they'll kill everything in his yard.
    >
    > This is not a small issue that only you are feeling; make it a BIG deal.

    OP: What Mitch said, plus bitch about him apparently broadcasting all of
    those people's email addresses to everybody else on his list by not
    putting their addresses in the BCC field (which hides them, instead -
    the B in BCC means "Blind"); you didn't give him permission to send your
    email address in the clear to everybody he knows.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 11, 2008