Utility to split a WAV recording into 'tracks' (preferably freeware, even more preferably OSS)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Oct 19, 2006.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    I have a number of large (long duration) WAV files that have been
    digitally recorded of my kids singing - think 10 tracks per WAV file
    of say, 500 seconds per file.

    Is their any utility that you could recommend that would automagically
    split that WAV files into 'tracks' presumably using the low / no sound
    sections in the file? I don't mind if it isn't perfect, but anything
    has to be better than doing it manually!

    I really need something that is free, and if it is also open source,
    that would be great.

    Thanks in advance,

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Oct 19, 2006

  2. Re: Utility to split a WAV recording into 'tracks'

    In message <>, MaHogany wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:26:16 +1300, Alan wrote:
    >
    >> I really need something that is free, and if it is also open source,
    >> that would be great.

    > Audacity.

    I don't think Audacity would do the splits automatically. Also I've had
    problems with some versions and larger audio files
    <http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 19, 2006

  3. Alan

    MaHogany Guest

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:26:16 +1300, Alan wrote:

    > I really need something that is free, and if it is also open source,
    > that would be great.

    Audacity.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
    fries with that, if prompted."

    MaHogany, Oct 19, 2006
  4. Alan

    Keith Guest

    In article <eh75u8$fod$>, says...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a number of large (long duration) WAV files that have been
    > digitally recorded of my kids singing - think 10 tracks per WAV file
    > of say, 500 seconds per file.
    >
    > Is their any utility that you could recommend that would automagically
    > split that WAV files into 'tracks' presumably using the low / no sound
    > sections in the file? I don't mind if it isn't perfect, but anything
    > has to be better than doing it manually!
    >
    > I really need something that is free, and if it is also open source,
    > that would be great.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    Not free but worth a look is Wave Corrector (wwww.wavecor.co.uk)
    Designed for converting vinyl records to digital, it has good track
    editing facilities. It can detect the tracks automatically and also
    allows you to edit them and apply fade-in and fade-out.

    .......Actually, I think it has something like a 3 hour capacity, 500
    secs might make it fall over. How large are your 500s (8.3 hour) files?

    Keith, Oct 19, 2006
  5. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Keith" <> wrote in message
    > In article <eh75u8$fod$>, says...
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I have a number of large (long duration) WAV files that have been
    >> digitally recorded of my kids singing - think 10 tracks per WAV
    >> file
    >> of say, 500 seconds per file.
    >>
    >> Is their any utility that you could recommend that would
    >> automagically
    >> split that WAV files into 'tracks' presumably using the low / no
    >> sound
    >> sections in the file? I don't mind if it isn't perfect, but
    >> anything
    >> has to be better than doing it manually!
    >>
    >> I really need something that is free, and if it is also open
    >> source,
    >> that would be great.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,

    > Not free but worth a look is Wave Corrector (wwww.wavecor.co.uk)
    > Designed for converting vinyl records to digital, it has good track
    > editing facilities. It can detect the tracks automatically and also
    > allows you to edit them and apply fade-in and fade-out.
    >
    > ......Actually, I think it has something like a 3 hour capacity, 500
    > secs might make it fall over. How large are your 500s (8.3 hour)
    > files?

    500 secs - not 500 mins.

    I would be impressed if *anything* could handle an 8 hour WAV file!

    They aren't really that big, and I can split them down manually first
    if need be. The actual largest file I have is about 80 mins (200Mb),
    but I split it into a few sections already.

    Thanks,

    Alan, Oct 19, 2006
  6. Alan

    Keith Guest

    In article <eh7c6l$b4t$>, says...

    > "Keith" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <eh75u8$fod$>, says...
    > >> Hi All,
    > >>
    > >> I have a number of large (long duration) WAV files that have been
    > >> digitally recorded of my kids singing - think 10 tracks per WAV
    > >> file
    > >> of say, 500 seconds per file.
    > >>
    > >> Is their any utility that you could recommend that would
    > >> automagically
    > >> split that WAV files into 'tracks' presumably using the low / no
    > >> sound
    > >> sections in the file? I don't mind if it isn't perfect, but
    > >> anything
    > >> has to be better than doing it manually!
    > >>
    > >> I really need something that is free, and if it is also open
    > >> source,
    > >> that would be great.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance,

    > > Not free but worth a look is Wave Corrector (wwww.wavecor.co.uk)
    > > Designed for converting vinyl records to digital, it has good track
    > > editing facilities. It can detect the tracks automatically and also
    > > allows you to edit them and apply fade-in and fade-out.
    > >
    > > ......Actually, I think it has something like a 3 hour capacity, 500
    > > secs might make it fall over. How large are your 500s (8.3 hour)
    > > files?
    > >

    > 500 secs - not 500 mins.

    DOH!

    Keith, Oct 19, 2006
  7. Alan

    MaHogany Guest

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:52:49 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > I don't think Audacity would do the splits automatically. Also I've had
    > problems with some versions and larger audio files

    I think you'll be lucky to find ANY program which will accurately split a
    long audio file into small files where the user would want the breaks made.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 19, 2006
  8. Alan

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Re: Utility to split a WAV recording into 'tracks' (preferably freeware,even more preferably OSS)

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a number of large (long duration) WAV files that have been
    > digitally recorded of my kids singing - think 10 tracks per WAV file
    > of say, 500 seconds per file.
    >
    > Is their any utility that you could recommend that would automagically
    > split that WAV files into 'tracks' presumably using the low / no sound
    > sections in the file? I don't mind if it isn't perfect, but anything
    > has to be better than doing it manually!
    >
    > I really need something that is free, and if it is also open source,
    > that would be great.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Alan.

    From the deepest darkest memory's of the dark pit of my mind there were
    two peaces of software one called LPripper which did what you wanted &
    LPrecorder that made long wave files I think you had to pay some money
    to get the full versions and registration codes.

    Robert Cooze, Oct 19, 2006
  9. Alan

    -=rjh=- Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:52:49 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> I don't think Audacity would do the splits automatically. Also I've had
    >> problems with some versions and larger audio files

    > I think you'll be lucky to find ANY program which will accurately split a
    > long audio file into small files where the user would want the breaks made.

    You mean, like Steinberg Clean does?

    -=rjh=-, Oct 19, 2006
  10. Alan

    MaHogany Guest

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:02:10 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

    >> I think you'll be lucky to find ANY program which will accurately split a
    >> long audio file into small files where the user would want the breaks made.

    > You mean, like Steinberg Clean does?

    I didn't realise that Steinberg Clean was an Open Source programme capable
    of automatically spliting one long recording into separate parts at points
    agreeable to the user.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 20, 2006
  11. Alan

    Blue Guest

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 21:19:14 +1300, Keith wrote:

    >> 500 secs - not 500 mins.

    > DOH!

    For Homer's sake please quote the source.

    Blue, Oct 20, 2006
  12. Alan

    Blue Guest

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:37:39 +1300, MaHogany wrote:

    > On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:02:10 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >>> I think you'll be lucky to find ANY program which will accurately split a
    >>> long audio file into small files where the user would want the breaks made.

    >> You mean, like Steinberg Clean does?

    > I didn't realise that Steinberg Clean was an Open Source programme capable
    > of automatically spliting one long recording into separate parts at points
    > agreeable to the user.

    Ma, read that again. ;-)

    Blue, Oct 20, 2006
  13. Alan

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-10-19, -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    > MaHogany wrote:
    >> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:52:49 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't think Audacity would do the splits automatically. Also I've had
    >>> problems with some versions and larger audio files

    >> I think you'll be lucky to find ANY program which will accurately split a
    >> long audio file into small files where the user would want the breaks made.

    > You mean, like Steinberg Clean does?

    how does it know when to chop.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Oct 20, 2006
  14. Alan

    -=rjh=- Guest

    jasen wrote:
    > On 2006-10-19, -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    >> MaHogany wrote:

    >>> I think you'll be lucky to find ANY program which will accurately split a
    >>> long audio file into small files where the user would want the breaks made.

    >> You mean, like Steinberg Clean does?

    > how does it know when to chop.

    You calibrate a sound level and duration, ie, the "silence" between
    tracks on vinyl, but also works with cassette tape. Since you are
    unlikely to be chopping audio anywhere other than when the level is
    quite low, this should work for most sources.

    I haven't used the feature, but if the LP exists in a database I think
    it can better deduce the cut points and can even label the resulting
    files correctly. Handy for music that was only ever available on vinyl
    and never on CD.

    It isn't 100% foolproof, but works well enough. You can preview and
    adjust, add, remove cut points easily, and save the work as a project.
    There are other applications that will do the same, and I'm fairly
    certain there is at least one open source one.

    Clean will do a reasonable job of removing unwanted noise (hiss, rumble
    etc) also.

    Working in analogue audio is a real pain because everything is so slow,
    it has to be done in real time.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 20, 2006
  15. Alan

    Earl Grey Guest

    jasen wrote:
    > On 2006-10-19, -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    >> MaHogany wrote:

    >>> I think you'll be lucky to find ANY program which will accurately split a
    >>> long audio file into small files where the user would want the breaks made.

    >> You mean, like Steinberg Clean does?

    > how does it know when to chop.
    >
    > Bye.
    > Jasen

    Its just a computer, it doesn't know anything.

    But heres another one

    You set the thresholds for time and amplitude of the gaps you are
    looking for and it finds them.

    http://www.matthewssoftware.com/WAVChop/

    Earl Grey, Oct 20, 2006
  16. Alan

    Earl Grey Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, MaHogany wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:26:16 +1300, Alan wrote:
    >>
    >>> I really need something that is free, and if it is also open source,
    >>> that would be great.

    >> Audacity.

    > I don't think Audacity would do the splits automatically. Also I've had
    > problems with some versions and larger audio files
    > <http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=>.

    The new version has a silence finder nyquist plugin included under the
    analyze menu

    Earl Grey, Oct 20, 2006
  17. Alan

    -=rjh=- Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:02:10 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >>> I think you'll be lucky to find ANY program which will accurately split a
    >>> long audio file into small files where the user would want the breaks made.

    >> You mean, like Steinberg Clean does?

    > I didn't realise that Steinberg Clean was an Open Source programme capable
    > of automatically spliting one long recording into separate parts at points
    > agreeable to the user.

    Sheesh... I wouldn't normally bother, but just to make sure others
    aren't as confused as you are:

    You said ANY program - your emphasis - (actually, I'm surprised you
    didn't trim that part, you normally would); the reason I didn't suggest
    Clean to the OP was because it *isn't* open source, although it was
    free, but not freeware.

    I'd suggest you stick to telling us what you *do* know about, rather
    than what you don't. Generally it is a lot more helpful and uses less
    bandwidth.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 20, 2006
  18. Alan

    Earl Grey Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > MaHogany wrote:

    >>> You mean, like Steinberg Clean does?

    >> I didn't realise that Steinberg Clean was an Open Source programme
    >> capable
    >> of automatically spliting one long recording into separate parts at
    >> points
    >> agreeable to the user.

    > Sheesh... I wouldn't normally bother, but just to make sure others
    > aren't as confused as you are:
    >
    > You said ANY program - your emphasis - (actually, I'm surprised you
    > didn't trim that part, you normally would); the reason I didn't suggest
    > Clean to the OP was because it *isn't* open source, although it was
    > free, but not freeware.
    >
    > I'd suggest you stick to telling us what you *do* know about, rather
    > than what you don't. Generally it is a lot more helpful and uses less
    > bandwidth.

    Just looking around I've found quite a few that have a parameter tab
    that allows the level and duration criteria to be set.
    Some are biased towards vinyl archiving like Clean. Some are for
    splitting audiobook tracks. Some are plugins for general purpose audio
    editors
    Audacity 1.3 has Silence Finder under the Analyze menu, and the nyquist
    plugin is also available for the previous version if you look for it.

    Earl Grey, Oct 21, 2006
  19. Alan

    MaHogany Guest

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 17:21:08 +1300, Blue wrote:

    >>> You mean, like Steinberg Clean does?

    >> I didn't realise that Steinberg Clean was an Open Source programme capable
    >> of automatically spliting one long recording into separate parts at points
    >> agreeable to the user.
    >>

    > Ma, read that again. ;-)

    The OP was requesting preferably an open source programme.

    Also, if the original recording has quiet parts to the music, then how
    would Steinberg Clean recognise that as being a part of the one track and
    not the end of one and the beginning of another?

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 21, 2006
  20. Alan

    MaHogany Guest

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 21:31:12 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Working in analogue audio is a real pain because everything is so slow,
    > it has to be done in real time.

    If you're using a PC then you're not using "analogue" audio. The PC is an
    entirely digital tool.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 21, 2006