    Might anyone know of anything that can do this?

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Ingram, Aug 18, 2003

  2. In article <bhq37b$323d$>,
    splurted...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anyone know of a utility that can force XP to assign a drive letter to
    > a partition. I've gone all around trying to figure out why it's not doing
    > it! I've reset the drive cabling to cable select, and reinstalled XP, but
    > still it's not assigning it a drive letter. It's an NTFS partition
    > otherwise I'd consider installing Windows 98. I've installed Partition
    > Magic 8.0 but I coudln't find anything there that would let me assign the
    > partition a drive letter.
    >
    > Might anyone know of anything that can do this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

    Right click on My Computer and select Manage.

    In there, go to Disk Managment, click on the Partition you want to
    change the drive letter of, and right click, in the popup menu Change
    Drive Letter and Paths.

    That'll do what you want.
    --
    Mike

    Michael Thompson, Aug 18, 2003

  3. Howdy!

    "Jeff Ingram" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anyone know of a utility that can force XP to assign a drive letter

    > a partition. I've gone all around trying to figure out why it's not doing
    > it! I've reset the drive cabling to cable select, and reinstalled XP, but
    > still it's not assigning it a drive letter. It's an NTFS partition
    > otherwise I'd consider installing Windows 98. I've installed Partition
    > Magic 8.0 but I coudln't find anything there that would let me assign the
    > partition a drive letter.
    >
    > Might anyone know of anything that can do this?

    Funny, I've always used Disk Management to do this.

    You DID check the drive letter specified in Disk Management? And it
    IS formatted, right?

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 18, 2003
  4. Jeff Ingram

    Quaoar Guest

    Jeff Ingram wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anyone know of a utility that can force XP to assign a drive
    > letter to a partition. I've gone all around trying to figure out why
    > it's not doing it! I've reset the drive cabling to cable select, and
    > reinstalled XP, but still it's not assigning it a drive letter. It's
    > an NTFS partition otherwise I'd consider installing Windows 98. I've
    > installed Partition Magic 8.0 but I coudln't find anything there that
    > would let me assign the partition a drive letter.
    >
    > Might anyone know of anything that can do this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

    Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management: Right
    click the partition, select Change Drive Letters and Paths.

    Quaoar, Aug 18, 2003
  5. Did you try using an ID that has administrator rights?

    Also check in Local Security Policy to see if you can set something to
    have a non admin user make these sort of changes to drive letters.

    Rob Schneider, Aug 18, 2003
  6. Just because you are the only user doesn't mean that the id you are
    using has appropriate permissions to make these changes. Try using the
    "administrator" id.

    The suggested resolution discussed here works. I checked it on my
    machine before writing to you. I have no futher ideas since I have no
    experience debugging this (it works fine for me) except to say that that
    your issue is probably related to permissions.

    Rob Schneider, Aug 18, 2003
  7. Jeff Ingram

    Jeff Ingram Guest

    Jeff Ingram, Aug 18, 2003
  8. Jeff Ingram

    Jeff Ingram Guest

    Yeah, If I had that option available that would be great, but I don't.
    Delete Partition is my only option. It even says that partition is
    healthy. Is there something that can restore the partition if I delete it
    perhaps?

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    "Michael

    Jeff Ingram, Aug 18, 2003
  9. Jeff Ingram

    Jeff Ingram Guest

    Jeff Ingram, Aug 18, 2003
  10. An alternate way to log in as administrator, is to hit ctl-alt-del twice at
    the normal login screen. This will be up the old-fashioned style login
    screen.

    Timothy Drouillard, Aug 19, 2003
  11. Jeff Ingram

    Jeff Ingram Guest

    > Just because you are the only user doesn't mean that the id you are
    > using has appropriate permissions to make these changes. Try using the
    > "administrator" id.
    >
    > The suggested resolution discussed here works. I checked it on my
    > machine before writing to you. I have no futher ideas since I have no
    > experience debugging this (it works fine for me) except to say that that
    > your issue is probably related to permissions.
    >
    > Jeff Ingram wrote:
    >
    > > Yep, I have admin rights since I'm the only user on this system.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jeff
    > >

    > > "Rob Schneider" <> wrote in

    message

    Jeff Ingram, Aug 19, 2003
  12. Jeff Ingram

    Jeff Ingram Guest

    Yep, been there, done that, and even bought the T shirt! Yep, it is most
    definately formated and has lots of data on it. And Computer Manangement it
    even thinks that it's a healthy partition. The only option I get in
    Computer Management is to delete the partition.

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Ingram, Aug 19, 2003
  13. Jeff Ingram

    Len Guest

    Too much cross posting... but anyway, I don't see any information in your
    posts about what PM8 had to say about the partition. Although PM8 may not
    have to direct ability to assign a drive letter it may show information
    about the drive and its status which if corrected would allow the system to
    assign a drive letter.

    Obviously something is causing the partition not to be seen as a viable
    drive. Correcting that is the first issue not arbitrarily trying to assign
    a drive letter. And yes the drive may simply be hosed and reformating the
    only option but there are other things to look into before reaching that
    resolution.

    FWIW,
    Len

    Len, Aug 19, 2003
  14. Jeff Ingram

    Shaun Marolf Guest

    "Jeff Ingram" <> wrote in news:bhtkkk$5bof$1
    @news3.infoave.net:

    > Went there and logged in as Administrator. Had the same option as before,
    > Delete Partition was the only option.
    >
    > BUT, I noticed something that I thought was stranged. On that drive I saw
    > there were two partitions color coded in the same color blue, Primary
    > Partition. Isn't there only supposed to be only one Primary Partition on a
    > drive? And if that's true then how the heck did I end up with two Primary
    > partitions?

    Actually you can have more than one primary partition but Windows doesn't
    setup that way. Linux can however and so does BSD and other Unix systems.

    However being that it is unlikely that you installed Linux or a Unix on your
    system It is most likely that the partition was created by someone or
    something else. Partition Magic will allow you to change the partion type and
    or reformat the partition if need be and there are utilities that will allow
    to get the data from that partiton if need be.

    --Shaun

    Shaun Marolf, Aug 19, 2003
  15. Jeff Ingram

    Jeff Ingram Guest

    NTFS created with XP.

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Ingram, Aug 19, 2003
  16. Jeff Ingram

    Jeff Ingram Guest

    Been there, don't get that option. Only option is Delete Partition when I
    right click on it.

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Ingram, Aug 19, 2003