    Any suggestions?

    Thanks!

    Tom

    Tom, Aug 26, 2007

  2. Tom

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:42:09 -0000, Tom wrote:

    >Can someone either point me to a WinXP utility or suggest a FreeBSD/
    >Linux command line that I can use to automatically create an

    Which shell?

    >index.html file listing and linking to all the documents in a folder,
    >regardless of their file extensions.

    Lots, you need to find 1 that suits you.

    You didn't really try at all did you?

    For a command line you may simply need a bit of sed/awk to read a line
    from the directory listing and wrap the line in

    <snip repeated part of post>
    >good, as I could do the work on my laptop and then copy to the server.

    You are using BSD and want to work on a Win box and copy it over? Oh
    well. It's assumed you want the index but it's not a webserver or ftp or
    fileshare, since you didn't mention that.

    It's been a while since the last time I setup APache but try
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#options

    Indexes options and HEADER and README files for the header and footer.
    This gives you a listing.

    There are PHP mobules to do this, search for dir to html for Win / Unix
    and Python modules for Win/Unix and ditto for perl.

    As well as,
    http://sourceforge.net/
    filestructure to html

    and any of the Win software sites

    www.simtel.net
    www.download.com
    www.tucows.com

    Search for Dir to HTML sort of thing.

    >Any suggestions?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Tom

    Me

    why?, Aug 26, 2007

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    On Aug 26, 6:10 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    > Lots, you need to find 1 that suits you.
    >
    > You didn't really try at all did you?

    * * *

    I hate to admit that after more an hour goggling I couldn't pin down
    quite the right search terms. My web history shows several pages of
    fruitless effort that turned up lots of interesting freeware, but not
    what I needed. I don't post questions here often, as I do appreciate
    the valuable time of the group's wizened elders who have many more
    lucrative things to do with their time than be bothered by silly
    questions.

    * * *
    > You are using BSD and want to work on a Win box and copy it over? Oh
    > well. It's assumed you want the index but it's not a webserver or ftp or
    > fileshare, since you didn't mention that.

    * * *

    The BSD box is my first choice, since the solution would very likely
    be simpler and more transparent; and also because I'm more likely to
    learn something new there. I've been running an Apache server in the
    basement of my house for about two years (rebuilt the OS a couple of
    times), mostly self-taught, since being persuaded by a FreeBSD
    sysadmin in the mid-west who has since become a friend to make the
    switch from the 2k3 server that I had used for a a few years.

    I'm not an IT professional and I don't even play one on TV. I'm a
    mental health counselor who has never had a computer class and know
    that, generally, the best way to learn (at least for me) is to poke
    around until I figure something out. Still, it's good to have places
    (like this group) and a few kind people that I know that I can turn to
    when my mind blanks out or I for other reasons get stuck.

    * * *

    > Search for Dir to HTML sort of thing.

    * * *

    Even just that last sentence would likely have gotten me out of my
    rut! Thanks for for taking the time to provide just what I needed.

    Tom

    --
    http://tomrue.net
    http://vitruvian.tomrue.net