    Is there such a utility available?

    All suggestions are most welcome !

    Thank you for reading.
    Penang, Feb 18, 2010

  2. Penang

    AlleyCat Guest

    In article <59f75211-ec65-4555-8625-97cadf4dc320
    @k2g2000pro.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > Dear Gurus,
    >
    > I understand that there are some CD-burning softwares which have built-
    > in verifying routines to verify the burned disc with the ISO image
    > file.
    >
    > However, I am looking for a stand-alone utility that can do the same
    > thing.
    >
    > Which is, taking an ISO-image file on the hard disk, and verify it
    > with a CD (or DVD) that is inside a CD/DVD drive.
    >
    > Is there such a utility available?
    >
    > All suggestions are most welcome !
    >
    > Thank you for reading.

    I'm not into installing software that can be done with resident commands
    within the OS. There's been a DOS command around for a very long time
    called File Compare. If you want to learn about it, I'm sure there are
    multitudes of web pages "out there", to visit. If you go to a DOS
    prompt, you can type "FC /?", without the quotation marks, and it'll
    give you a list of commands and switches, i.e..., /A
    You can navigate to where the .iso image is and
    type "fc /b ????.iso X:\????.iso" where X = disc drive with iso image on
    it. I'm sure there are programs out there that will do it graphically,
    but again, I don't like alot of superfluous software on my computer.
    Perhaps a portable version might be available. Good luck.

    Al
    AlleyCat, Feb 18, 2010

  3. Penang

    Penang Guest

    On Feb 17, 4:39 pm, AlleyCat <> wrote:
    > In article <59f75211-ec65-4555-8625-97cadf4dc320
    > @k2g2000pro.googlegroups.com>, says...
    >
    > > Dear Gurus,

    > > I understand that there are some CD-burning softwares which have built-
    > > in verifying routines to verify the burned disc with the ISO image
    > > file.

    > > However, I am looking for a stand-alone utility that can do the same
    > > thing.

    > > Which is, taking an ISO-image file on the hard disk, and verify it
    > > with a CD (or DVD) that is inside a CD/DVD drive.

    > > Is there such a utility available?

    > > All suggestions are most welcome !

    > > Thank you for reading.

    > I'm not into installing software that can be done with resident commands
    > within the OS. There's been a DOS command around for a very long time
    > called File Compare. If you want to learn about it, I'm sure there are
    > multitudes of web pages "out there", to visit. If you go to a DOS
    > prompt, you can type "FC /?", without the quotation marks, and it'll
    > give you a list of commands and switches, i.e..., /A
    > You can navigate to where the .iso image is and
    > type "fc /b ????.iso X:\????.iso" where X = disc drive with iso image on
    > it. I'm sure there are programs out there that will do it graphically,
    > but again, I don't like alot of superfluous software on my computer.
    > Perhaps a portable version might be available. Good luck.
    >
    > Al

    I thank you for the reply.

    I do know about the "FC" command and do use it frequently.

    However, FC is only used for comparing FILE to FILE.

    What I am looking for is a utility that can compare an ISO image file
    (xyz.ISO) to a burned CD/DVD based on the same ISO image file.
    Penang, Feb 18, 2010
  4. Penang

    Johnw Guest

    Penang formulated on Thursday :
    > Dear Gurus,
    >
    > I understand that there are some CD-burning softwares which have built-
    > in verifying routines to verify the burned disc with the ISO image
    > file.
    >
    > However, I am looking for a stand-alone utility that can do the same
    > thing.
    >
    > Which is, taking an ISO-image file on the hard disk, and verify it
    > with a CD (or DVD) that is inside a CD/DVD drive.
    >
    > Is there such a utility available?
    >
    > All suggestions are most welcome !
    >
    > Thank you for reading.

    Maybe one of these will do what you want.

    CDCheck
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Rip-Other-Tools/CDCheck.shtml
    http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/CDCheck-Screenshot-5638.html
    http://www.kvipu.com/CDCheck/
    http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/
    http://www.kehuelga.org/video/dvd/app/CDCheck.zip
    CDCheck ONLINE
    http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/
    Limitations:
    · 30 days trial
    · Unregistered program continues to function after 30 days but a nag
    screen is displayed at startup.

    CDmage
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Images-Utils/CD-Mage.shtml
    http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/CD-Mage-Screenshot-1333.html
    http://cdmage.orcon.net.nz/frames.html

    ImgBurn
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/Data-CD-DVD-Burning/ImgBurn.shtml
    http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/ImgBurn-Screenshot-27810.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImgBurn
    http://www.imgburn.com/
    Forum
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?
    Guides
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?s=3fc61bdbd91b3eb07b21e560172f4a05&showforum=4
    Adding files to an ISO
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?s=f9bf65252d3d24f13010c332eb18abe9&showtopic=1779
    How to burn an Audio CD from music files using ImgBurn, Supported files
    include Ape, Flac, Ogg, MP3, Wav and Wma
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=5555
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=59
    * Verify - Check a disc is 100% readable. Optionally, you can also have
    ImgBurn compare it against a given image file to ensure the actual data
    is correct
    Johnw, Feb 18, 2010
  5. > However, I am looking for a stand-alone utility that can do the same
    > thing.
    > Which is, taking an ISO-image file on the hard disk, and verify it
    > with a CD (or DVD) that is inside a CD/DVD drive.

    If the source is an ISO image (or other image formats), you could use
    ImgBurn to burn+verify.

    If the source is a set of folders+files, I am using TreeComp.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.8
    Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps), Feb 18, 2010
  6. Penang

    Parko Guest

    Penang wrote:

    > Dear Gurus,
    >
    > I understand that there are some CD-burning softwares which have built-
    > in verifying routines to verify the burned disc with the ISO image
    > file.
    >
    > However, I am looking for a stand-alone utility that can do the same
    > thing.
    >
    > Which is, taking an ISO-image file on the hard disk, and verify it
    > with a CD (or DVD) that is inside a CD/DVD drive.
    >
    > Is there such a utility available?
    >
    > All suggestions are most welcome !
    >
    > Thank you for reading.

    Something like this, then.

    http://code.kliu.org/hashcheck/

    --
    Insert smartarse signature file here
    Parko, Feb 18, 2010
  7. Penang

    Jose Guest

    On Feb 17, 11:22 pm, Penang <> wrote:
    > Dear Gurus,
    >
    > I understand that there are some CD-burning softwares which have built-
    > in verifying routines to verify the burned disc with the ISO image
    > file.
    >
    > However, I am looking for a stand-alone utility that can do the same
    > thing.
    >
    > Which is, taking an ISO-image file on the hard disk, and verify it
    > with a CD (or DVD) that is inside a CD/DVD drive.
    >
    > Is there such a utility available?
    >
    > All suggestions are most welcome !
    >
    > Thank you for reading.

    What does "verify" mean to you?

    Do you think the ISO or the CD are somehow going to change over time
    or do you want to just verify after burning the ISO to the CD that
    they really are the same things?

    What ISO burning software are you using now and have you no confidence
    in it?

    ImgBurn if free and easy:

    http://www.imgburn.com/

    It will burn your ISO, verify it when it is done and then you can use
    it again minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, later just to verify the
    ISO and CD still match using the built in Verify function.

    If you suspect that and feel a need to verify some ISO and a burned
    CD, you may have some other problem. You might want to look at some
    other burning software that has all this stuff built in.
    Jose, Feb 18, 2010
  8. Penang

    LouB Guest

    Penang wrote:
    > Dear Gurus,
    >
    > I understand that there are some CD-burning softwares which have built-
    > in verifying routines to verify the burned disc with the ISO image
    > file.
    >
    > However, I am looking for a stand-alone utility that can do the same
    > thing.
    >
    > Which is, taking an ISO-image file on the hard disk, and verify it
    > with a CD (or DVD) that is inside a CD/DVD drive.
    >
    > Is there such a utility available?
    >
    > All suggestions are most welcome !
    >
    > Thank you for reading.

    It would seem if you did not verify as soon as you made the copy the
    hard disk content would have changed - evn just a little.
    I do not understand the purpose.
    LouB, Feb 18, 2010
  9. Penang

    Jose Guest

    On Feb 18, 7:32 am, LouB <> wrote:
    > Penang wrote:
    > > Dear Gurus,

    > > I understand that there are some CD-burning softwares which have built-
    > > in verifying routines to verify the burned disc with the ISO image
    > > file.

    > > However, I am looking for a stand-alone utility that can do the same
    > > thing.

    > > Which is, taking an ISO-image file on the hard disk, and verify it
    > > with a CD (or DVD) that is inside a CD/DVD drive.

    > > Is there such a utility available?

    > > All suggestions are most welcome !

    > > Thank you for reading.

    > It would seem if you did not verify as soon as you made the copy the
    > hard disk content would have changed - evn just a little.
    > I do not understand the purpose.

    Me either.

    The question seemed to be how to verify an ISO with a burned image
    (I'm guessing that means CD).

    That question has been answered.

    Perhaps a new question is needed.
    Jose, Feb 18, 2010
  10. Penang

    Mike Easter Guest

    Posted to 24hshd only

    Penang wrote:
    Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware,
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support, 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, alt.comp.periphs.cdr

    Presumably the only people you want to see your message is that subset
    which doesn't filter out excessively crossposted messages

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 18, 2010
  11. Penang

    chuckcar Guest

    LouB <> wrote in news::

    > Penang wrote:
    >> Dear Gurus,
    >>
    >> I understand that there are some CD-burning softwares which have built-
    >> in verifying routines to verify the burned disc with the ISO image
    >> file.
    >>
    >> However, I am looking for a stand-alone utility that can do the same
    >> thing.
    >>
    >> Which is, taking an ISO-image file on the hard disk, and verify it
    >> with a CD (or DVD) that is inside a CD/DVD drive.
    >>
    >> Is there such a utility available?
    >>
    >> All suggestions are most welcome !
    >>
    >> Thank you for reading.

    > It would seem if you did not verify as soon as you made the copy the
    > hard disk content would have changed - evn just a little.
    > I do not understand the purpose.

    The content of the rest of he hard drive is irrelevant. What's important
    here is two things: the unexpanded content of the ISO file and whether or
    not the CDROM has physical error and/or damage to it's recording surface.
    Nothing else other than the age of the plastic would change it otherwise.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Feb 18, 2010
  12. Penang

    Karla Guest

    On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 23:04:41 -0800 (PST), Penang wrote:

    > On Feb 17, 4:39 pm, AlleyCat <> wrote:
    >> In article <59f75211-ec65-4555-8625-97cadf4dc320
    >> @k2g2000pro.googlegroups.com>, says...
    >>
    >>> Dear Gurus,

    >>> I understand that there are some CD-burning softwares which have built-
    >>> in verifying routines to verify the burned disc with the ISO image
    >>> file.

    >>> However, I am looking for a stand-alone utility that can do the same
    >>> thing.

    >>> Which is, taking an ISO-image file on the hard disk, and verify it
    >>> with a CD (or DVD) that is inside a CD/DVD drive.

    >>> Is there such a utility available?

    >>> All suggestions are most welcome !

    >>> Thank you for reading.

    >> I'm not into installing software that can be done with resident commands
    >> within the OS. There's been a DOS command around for a very long time
    >> called File Compare. If you want to learn about it, I'm sure there are
    >> multitudes of web pages "out there", to visit. If you go to a DOS
    >> prompt, you can type "FC /?", without the quotation marks, and it'll
    >> give you a list of commands and switches, i.e..., /A
    >> You can navigate to where the .iso image is and
    >> type "fc /b ????.iso X:\????.iso" where X = disc drive with iso image on
    >> it. I'm sure there are programs out there that will do it graphically,
    >> but again, I don't like alot of superfluous software on my computer.
    >> Perhaps a portable version might be available. Good luck.
    >>
    >> Al

    > I thank you for the reply.
    >
    > I do know about the "FC" command and do use it frequently.
    >
    > However, FC is only used for comparing FILE to FILE.
    >
    > What I am looking for is a utility that can compare an ISO image file
    > (xyz.ISO) to a burned CD/DVD based on the same ISO image file.

    I hate DOS!
    Karla, Feb 18, 2010
  13. On 2010-02-18, Penang <> wrote:
    > I do know about the "FC" command and do use it frequently.
    >
    > However, FC is only used for comparing FILE to FILE.

    Irrelevant.

    > What I am looking for is a utility that can compare an ISO image file
    > (xyz.ISO) to a burned CD/DVD based on the same ISO image file.

    "A burned CD/DVD" *is* a file. At least on reasonable OSes. E.g.,
    did you try \\.\M: ? If Windows does not support this, one can just
    make an ISO image from the disk, and use FC (or diff).

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

    P.S. In my experience, byte-per-byte comparison is not relevant. At
    least, I never saw a disk which could be read byte-per-byte, but
    the result would differ from what it is supposed to be. Disks
    with some unreadable sectors - a plenty (a hundred?); but if
    fully readable, then correct.
    Ilya Zakharevich, Feb 18, 2010
  14. Penang

    Penang Guest

    On Feb 18, 12:36 am, Jose <> wrote:
    > On Feb 18, 7:32 am, LouB <> wrote:
    >

    > > Penang wrote:
    > > > Dear Gurus,

    > > > I understand that there are some CD-burning softwares which have built-
    > > > in verifying routines to verify the burned disc with the ISO image
    > > > file.

    > > > However, I am looking for a stand-alone utility that can do the same
    > > > thing.

    > > > Which is, taking an ISO-image file on the hard disk, and verify it
    > > > with a CD (or DVD) that is inside a CD/DVD drive.

    > > > Is there such a utility available?

    > > > All suggestions are most welcome !

    > > > Thank you for reading.

    > > It would seem if you did not verify as soon as you made the copy the
    > > hard disk content would have changed - evn just a little.
    > > I do not understand the purpose.

    > Me either.
    >
    > The question seemed to be how to verify an ISO with a burned image
    > (I'm guessing that means CD).
    >
    > That question has been answered.
    >
    > Perhaps a new question is needed.

    My apology to all since my original message is too vague.

    Here is what happening.

    My PC runs Windows XP, and I have ISO Recorder Power Toy installed
    ( from http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm )

    It is a very nifty stuff. It uses XP's own utilities to burn ISO
    images (ISO files) to CD/DVD.

    All I need to do, if I ever want to burn a CD or DVD is to right click
    on the ISO image file. The first item on the right-click menu is "Copy
    Image to CD" and when I choose that, and choose the CD/DVD burner, the
    utility will automatically burn the CD / DVD for me.

    Which means, the is no "verify" (or file compare).

    In NERO or ImgBurn and many other CD burning programs they have the
    "verify" step to make sure that the CD/DVD burned is the same as the
    ISO image.

    And what I am looking for is a stand alone utility to do just that ---
    Read in an ISO-Image file, and then compare it to the (CD/DVD) disc
    that is on a CD/DVD drive, directory by directory, file by file, byte
    by byte.

    Again, please accept my sincerest apology for the vagueness of my
    > In NERO or ImgBurn and many other CD burning programs they
    > have the "verify" step to make sure that the CD/DVD burned
    > is the same as the ISO image.
    >
    > And what I am looking for is a stand alone utility to do
    > just that --- Read in an ISO-Image file, and then compare
    > it to the (CD/DVD) disc that is on a CD/DVD drive,
    > directory by directory, file by file, byte by byte.
    >
    > Again, please accept my sincerest apology for the vagueness
    > of my original message !

    I basically understood what you want/ed to do and I do not know
    of any such utility.

    You were given /so many links/, especially by "johnw" and you
    seem not to have bothered to check any of the links out. I wrote
    you a post earlier today before this latest "clarification" but
    did not bother posting it since all I said had already been
    said.

    While it is nice of you to "clarify" for the great unwashed, it
    would have been nice of you to THANK all the people (not just
    ONE) who gave you so much info. It doesn't happen with a snap of
    the fingers, you know - YOU were too lazy to just Google for the
    answer to begin with, weren't you? No one here is God, you know.
    We can't tell you of something that does not exist, while Google
    knows everything.

    Still, if you get a utility like WinImage (there are several),
    you can open any ISO file and write it to your HD and then
    compare the contents with what went into the ISO file in the
    FIRST place. I am not aware of ANY utility which can magically
    overcome the fact that AFAIK every ISO file burned from the same
    material by different programs will be slightly different, have
    a completely different checksum, and can not be "compared" bit
    by bit except to a copy of itself with a good file manager or a
    file compare program.

    Of course, the easiest, and free, solution would be to use
    imgburn - or to plonk down 40 bucks and get CDRWin from
    goldenhawk (which is what I have been using for years, started
    before imgburn - which is /supposed/ to be even better - came
    out) but if you don't want to do that and insist on using a
    plug-in instead of a real program, that's your problem.

    Just out of curiosity, does this miraculous plug-in allow you to
    set the burning speed? Or do you just burn everything at MAX
    like so many other modern "computer users"?

    No offense, it's just a little tiresome to see SO many good
    replies and then get a re-post which implies you haven't looked
    at ANY of the links and appear to refuse to accept any of the
    info given.

    BTW, ANY program the author of which proudly says "It is
    recommended by MSDN download site along with Easy CD and Nero
    and is used by a number of companies around the world." is
    (IMHO) to be avoided like the plague.

    SOME recommendation... MS made BOB, WinME and Vista, remember?
    But they STILL won't let you print the contents of a directory
    in ANY version of Windows without using the command line or a
    3rd party program... The ONLY thing they know how to do is spy
    on their customers and make lots and lots of money...

    AFA Roxio and Nero, they make incomprehensible illogical pig
    bloat. Adaptec may have been the first - I remember burning a
    Quantegy/Ampex CDR with Adaptec software at 1x on an external HP
    burner which cost more than a good computer costs today, and
    Roxio is "related" to it, but I know of *few* programs that did
    not change for the worse (if not simply became complete trash)
    when the kinds of changes that Adaptec made in its company
    structure were made. (Let alone when someone just buys someone
    else out, a favorite MS/Adobe tactic of destroying quality
    competition.)

    AFA Nero, I find it simply insane. Anyone who uses either it or
    Roxio is not anyone I would trust to recommend a ball-point pen,
    let alone ANY software.

    --
    The Onion: Is there a God?
    Winona Ryder: Is there a God?
    thanatoid, Feb 19, 2010
  16. Penang

    Greegor Guest

    On Feb 19, 1:25 am, thanatoid <> wrote:
> [...]

    > Quantegy/Ampex CDR with Adaptec software at 1x on an external HP
    > burner which cost more than a good computer costs today, and
    > Roxio is "related" to it, but I know of *few* programs that did
    > not change for the worse (if not simply became complete trash)
    > when the kinds of changes that Adaptec made in its company
    > structure were made. (Let alone when someone just buys someone
    > else out, a favorite MS/Adobe tactic of destroying quality
    > competition.)
    >
    > AFA Nero, I find it simply insane. Anyone who uses either it or
    > Roxio is not anyone I would trust to recommend a ball-point pen,
    > let alone ANY software.
    >
    > --
    > The Onion:     Is there a God?
    > Winona Ryder:  Is there a God?
    > The Onion:     Yes, does God exist?
    > Winona Ryder:  Um, I don't know. I really don't know. I hate to

    What's your favorite CD burner software?
    After griping about various others, shouldn't you say?
    Greegor, Feb 19, 2010
  17. On 2010-02-19, Mark F <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 18:56:27 +0000 (UTC), Ilya Zakharevich
    ><> wrote in part:
    >
    >> > What I am looking for is a utility that can compare an ISO image file
    >> > (xyz.ISO) to a burned CD/DVD based on the same ISO image file.

    >> "A burned CD/DVD" *is* a file. At least on reasonable OSes. E.g.,
    >> did you try \\.\M: ? If Windows does not support this, one can just
    >> make an ISO image from the disk, and use FC (or diff).

    > Sonic Record Now and some other programs that I have used include some
    > identifying information in the .ISO file. Perhaps another format
    > would give the same result every time I made an image, but can't
    > switch from .ISO.

    I have no clue what you are talking about.

    > In particular, making an ISO file from the same
    > real or virtual CD gives different results each time

    Then the probrams you use are broken. ISO image is just a copy of the
    DVD (or of "the 2048-sectors" of CD). All copies should be the same.
    (And I expect that \\.M: would be always the same as well...)

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya
    Ilya Zakharevich, Feb 19, 2010
  18. Penang

    thanatoid Guest

    Greegor <> wrote in
    oups.com:

    <SNIP>

    > What's your favorite CD burner software?
    > After griping about various others, shouldn't you say?

    Sorry, but I rarely get to say BOTH in one reply:

    Learn to <SNIP> and learn to read. I state clearly what I use in
    what you did not bother snipping - but /presumably/ did "sort
    of" read.

    thanatoid, Feb 20, 2010
  19. On 2010-02-22, Mark F <> wrote:
    > Can you point me at a definition of CDROM .ISO files?

    Easy: the definition follows from the intended usage:

    ISO file when copied to the media sector-by-2048b-sector should
    produce the identical disk. (Which implies that some disks cannot be
    mapped to ISO files - they may contain errors in 2376-byte (sp?)
    sectors correctable during translation to 2048b-sectors, etc.)

    All bytes matter during copying. So ISO files produced by reading a
    disk must be identical.

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

    P.S. I use readcd to produce ISO files, cdrecord (or "flavors", like
    dvddao) to burn them.
    Ilya Zakharevich, Feb 23, 2010