    should I look for an alternative ? what do you say?

    melanie

    ----------

    melanie bennett, Jun 1, 2005

  2. melanie bennett wrote:
    > I have used Norton utilities 2002 to help keep my computer in good order but
    > now I have finally switched from windows 89se to windows xp home with added
    > sp2 security I'm assuming norton utilities are no longer required and
    > windows will automatically keep my computer running without problems - or
    > should I look for an alternative ? what do you say?

    Yes and no. Norton Utilities is not required. For that matter, it never
    was. But a good, updated antivirus and antispyware are your most
    important utilities to have now. And "good" doesn't include Norton.
    Consider Kaspersky antivirus or eTrust antivirus. Use Microsoft
    Antispyware and also Lavasoft's Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy.
    Don't think in terms of buying other company's software that "Makes
    Windows Better". It doesn't work that way.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 1, 2005

  3. melanie bennett

    philo Guest

    melanie bennett wrote:

    > I have used Norton utilities 2002 to help keep my computer in good order
    > but now I have finally switched from windows 89se to windows xp home with
    > added sp2 security I'm assuming norton utilities are no longer required
    > and windows will automatically keep my computer running without problems -
    > or
    > should I look for an alternative ? what do you say?

    you will not need Norton any more
    but as a minimum...you will need a virus checker of some type
    & also a spyware checker

    philo, Jun 1, 2005
  4. "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > melanie bennett wrote:
    >> I have used Norton utilities 2002 to help keep my computer in good order
    >> but now I have finally switched from windows 89se to windows xp home with
    >> added sp2 security I'm assuming norton utilities are no longer required
    >> and windows will automatically keep my computer running without
    >> problems - or should I look for an alternative ? what do you say?

    > Yes and no. Norton Utilities is not required. For that matter, it never
    > was. But a good, updated antivirus and antispyware are your most important
    > utilities to have now. And "good" doesn't include Norton. Consider
    > Kaspersky antivirus or eTrust antivirus. Use Microsoft Antispyware and
    > also Lavasoft's Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy. Don't think in
    > terms of buying other company's software that "Makes Windows Better". It
    > doesn't work that way.

    Thanks for the advice Roger!

    melanie bennett, Jun 2, 2005
  5. "philo" <> wrote in message
    > melanie bennett wrote:
    >
    >> I have used Norton utilities 2002 to help keep my computer in good order
    >> but now I have finally switched from windows 89se to windows xp home with
    >> added sp2 security I'm assuming norton utilities are no longer required
    >> and windows will automatically keep my computer running without
    >> problems -
    >> or
    >> should I look for an alternative ? what do you say?
    >>

    > you will not need Norton any more
    > but as a minimum...you will need a virus checker of some type
    > & also a spyware checker

    Thanks Philo!

    melanie bennett, Jun 2, 2005