    Is it likely that the 64bit recompilation took advantage of multiple cores, or
    that Win XP x64 distributes processes among the cores?

    , Jun 23, 2009

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:c1.2c.3GN2PK$...
    >I am runing an engineering application which takes days to perform a
    > calculation on two quad Xeons. The app is over 10 years old but has been
    > recompiled for 64 bit Windows. The spokesman for the application provider
    > is
    > silent (he doesn't know) on the question of utilising multiple cores.
    >
    > Task Manager reports one application, and 35 processes of which 13 belong
    > Administrator and clearly relate to the application. CPU usage is 25%
    > average
    > but two of the cores are peaking at 100%.
    >
    > Is it likely that the 64bit recompilation took advantage of multiple
    > cores, or
    > that Win XP x64 distributes processes among the cores?

    With only two cores running at 100% the program has 2 threads, so is
    multithreaded, but just not multithreaded enough to utilize the hardware you
    are running it on. This means that it was hard coded by the manufacturer to
    take advantage of dual core systems rather than check how many cpu's a
    system has and scale accordingly.

    Robert McMillan, Jun 24, 2009