USR Modem driver

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 21, 2005.

  1. This is what I suggested:

    http://www.smlink.com/objects/SLA56-V4.20.01-MV-XP64Bit.zip

    Smart link has drivers for their modems, maybe you want to consider
    purchasing one from them. The US Robotics 5810 ran perfectly out of the box.

    I didn't say anything about 5660a, see, you can return it for a refund and
    purchase the appropriate model.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 21, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    John Barnes Guest

    The 5610B works (full modem, PCI). If yours is USB I haven't heard of any
    USB modems working yet.

    Ted, Jul 21, 2005
  4. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    John Barnes Guest

    If you want, when I get a chance to use x64 in about 4 hours, I will look up
    the driver that installed automatically with my USR 5610B and post it so you
    can point to it and see if it will work for your modem. Do you get the
    install new hardware panel when you start up?

    John Barnes, Jul 21, 2005
  5. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    John Barnes Guest

    It may be that they haven't done anything with Winmodems, only full modems.
    Just a guess.

    John Barnes, Jul 21, 2005
  6. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Ted Guest

    Hello Andre,

    I used to use Smart Link in Win 95 and early Win 98 days.
    They were the first to make durable modems, USR and others
    had problems and would break down all the time.
    USR got back in control the late 90s, and Smart Link started
    to be un-popular because they became pain to configure.

    Actually Smart Link used to manufacture some of the name
    brand modems.

    I can't find USR 5810 on USR website nor on the WEB.

    Which Smart Link modem do you have ?

    > I didn't say anything about 5660a, see, you can return it for a refund and
    > purchase the appropriate model.

    It is no problem, I can always use an extra spare modem.
    It is only $19.95 with a $10 rebate.
    I would have researched more if I had to pay more.

    Ted, Jul 21, 2005
  7. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Ted Guest

    Ted, Jul 21, 2005
  8. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    John Barnes Guest

    I will get you the driver name this afternoon. It is a Microsoft written
    driver, so I assume it is a generic driver, so USR techs could be correct
    about not writing any.
    I will be thru work in about 2 1/2 hours and will be able to go to the x64
    system. None of my work programs work there.

    John Barnes, Jul 21, 2005
  9. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Ted Guest

    > install new hardware panel when you start up?

    Yes.
    I point it to the 2K_XP driver directory, but refuses to
    install it.

    > If you want, when I get a chance to use x64 in about 4 hours, I will look
    > up the driver that installed automatically with my USR 5610B and post it
    > so you can point to it and see if it will work for your modem.

    Thanks, I will give it a try.

    Ted, Jul 21, 2005
  10. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Ted Guest

    Ted, Jul 21, 2005
  11. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    John Barnes Guest

    This is the driver info from Device Manager
    Name: U.S. Robotics 56K Fax PCI
    Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Date: 10/1/2002
    Driver Version 5.0.1.18
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher

    Driver files details
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\Modem.sys Provider Microsoft Corporation
    File version 5.2.3790.1830(srv03_sp1_rtm050324-1447)
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\serial.sys Provider Microsoft Corporation File

    John Barnes, Jul 21, 2005
  12. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Ted Guest

    Hello John,

    I have both files, they must work OK with 5610b.
    Not a cheap modem, but I will get it.

    Thank you very much

    Ted

    Ted, Jul 22, 2005
  13. just so you know , i have a usr 5686e serial port modem , and win xp x64
    picked up on it and installed generic drivers without a hitch.

    i too have been on the the phone with usr tech support , they said when x64
    is relaeased that they would have drivers ready , imagine their surprise when
    i told them it was no longer beta , that it is in full swing . hehe

    =?Utf-8?B?UkRCSlQ=?=, Jul 22, 2005
  14. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    John Barnes Guest

    Hope he has a serial port on his motherboard. Will save him money. Mine
    doesn't without giving up a PCI slot.

    John Barnes, Jul 22, 2005
  15. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Ted Guest

    I just found a brand new Win modem USR 3CP2976-OEM in my closet,
    worked instantly.
    Thank you very much for your help.

    Ted, Jul 23, 2005
  16. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    John Barnes Guest

    Great. We have another model to suggest. Must be some closet (Fibber
    McGee).

    John Barnes, Jul 23, 2005
  17. I refer to mine as the warehouse. The warehouse has helped half the PC's in
    the neighborhood by now.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 23, 2005
  18. Well, glad everything is order and thanks for sharing another alternative
    for users having problems with modems on x64.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 24, 2005