    about the security for the desktop system which will share wired
    connection ?
    Thanks.
    anonym, Sep 28, 2006

  2. Most home users will find no difference in speed when accessing the
    internet, as there connection to the internet is much lower than the slowest
    802.11 wireless connection provided they have a good or better connection
    quality.

    In switching to a wireless connection you are broadcasting your signal to
    the world. It's possible for someone with the skills and desire to hack into
    your system. But why would they want to take the time to hack into your
    system when there are plenty of system with no security setup at all.
    Without security active on your wireless system, it's a lot like running a
    wired cable out to the end of your street and plugging the other end into
    your wired router. Anyone could pick it up and use it.

    --
    David Hettel

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    confers no rights

    David Hettel MVP MobileDevices, Sep 28, 2006

  3. anonym

    RJK Guest

    I'll be interested to see answers to your post !

    I recently bought a Linksys WAG354G Router v1.0 which feeds the internet
    along a 1 metre rj45 lead into my PC, and wirelessly to a WMP54G pci card
    in Dad's PC downstairs - and his little pop-out balloon, in his System Tray
    says that he's connected at 54mbps ...I would have thought that it would
    have been faster than that ! ...although his seems to go like a rocket when
    downloading large files from the internet e.g. initial AVG download updates.
    ....my ISP speeds along my rj45 lead "pops-out" allegedly in system tray at
    1mbps.

    Now, a friend of mine has the same router but, newer model "ADSL/2," and is
    on 2mbps with the same ISP and his little pop-out balloon says that he's
    connected at 2mbps - now whether he gets better performance I don't know,
    because his PC has a 10/100 ethernet pci card in it, (rj45 lead to router).
    He bought his boys a WPC54G pcmcia card for his son's laptop and there is
    practically no range - he'll have to buy an antenna I think. He tried
    relocating the router and still hardly any range ...dunno if there is a
    plug hole on the pcmcia card for an MC connector so that his son can plug an
    antenna into that as well !! My view is that it's really mean of Linksys
    not to put an antenna in the retail box.

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Sep 28, 2006
  4. anonym

    FedUp Guest

    On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:09:51 +0100, RJK wrote:

    > I'll be interested to see answers to your post !
    >
    > I recently bought a Linksys WAG354G Router v1.0 which feeds the internet
    > along a 1 metre rj45 lead into my PC, and wirelessly to a WMP54G pci card
    > in Dad's PC downstairs - and his little pop-out balloon, in his System Tray
    > says that he's connected at 54mbps ...I would have thought that it would
    > have been faster than that ! ...although his seems to go like a rocket when
    > downloading large files from the internet e.g. initial AVG download updates.
    > ...my ISP speeds along my rj45 lead "pops-out" allegedly in system tray at
    > 1mbps.

    <snip>

    Why would you expect a theoretical maximum speed of 54mbps to be faster
    than that? An 802.11g will always be much slower than 54mbps. An 802.11b
    will always be much slower than its maximum theoretical speed of 11mbps.
    FedUp, Sep 28, 2006
  5. anonym

    RJK Guest

    I should have said that I hadn't even looked at the wireless specifications
    / speeds, (just bought what looked okay!), and would have thought that
    "wireless" would be faster by now (design wise).

    :)

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Sep 28, 2006
  6. anonym

    David Hettel Guest

    Well it is and it isn't. Linksys has a WRVS4400N router with a data rate of
    up to 300 Mbps.But even an old 802.11b wireless connection will be faster
    than what most ISP provide for home users.

    David Hettel, Sep 29, 2006
  7. Hi

    Wireless Coverage depends heavily on the Specific physical Environment.

    In addition, specific settings of the OS (Windows) can affect the traffic
    too.

    As a result having the same Internet connection and Wireless Hardware does
    not mean the same result in different environment and other Wireless Client
    computers.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 29, 2006