using winsock over an adhoc wireless connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by MrGarbage, Jun 13, 2009.

  1. MrGarbage

    MrGarbage Guest

    I have 2 simple Windows C++ client and server applications that
    communicate with
    each other using sockets. The current implementation is wired ethernet
    and a crossover cable (2 seperate PCs).

    I need to migrate this to a Wireless Ad-hoc network connection.
    I have successfully established an ad-hoc wireless connection.

    I'm a little unclear as to how to progress...

    In the wired implementaion I simply used a static IP address for
    each of the two computers and I'm able to connect using those.

    In this implementation I cannot be certain that a static IP is unique
    to my
    two machines.

    How can I establish a socket connection to my other PC without knowing
    it's
    IP address?

    I guess I could use static IPs and build in the security into the Ad-
    Hoc connection itself
    so that only my two machines can be members...

    Any suggestions appreciated!

    Thanks
    Mark
    MrGarbage, Jun 13, 2009

  2. MrGarbage

    Tae Song Guest

    "MrGarbage" <> wrote in message
    > I have 2 simple Windows C++ client and server applications that
    > communicate with
    > each other using sockets. The current implementation is wired ethernet
    > and a crossover cable (2 seperate PCs).
    >
    > I need to migrate this to a Wireless Ad-hoc network connection.
    > I have successfully established an ad-hoc wireless connection.

    If you've made a ad-hoc wireless connection, then IP address have/should be
    sorted out.

    > I'm a little unclear as to how to progress...
    >
    > In the wired implementaion I simply used a static IP address for
    > each of the two computers and I'm able to connect using those.
    >
    > In this implementation I cannot be certain that a static IP is unique
    > to my
    > two machines.
    >
    > How can I establish a socket connection to my other PC without knowing
    > it's
    > IP address?

    You need to make a call to the OS to query what IP address it has (is
    assigned.)

    You replace the static IP address you were using in a wired configuration
    with the IP address that the OS says it has obtained through the process of
    forming an ad-hoc wireless connection.

    Tae Song, Jun 14, 2009