USING WinRar

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Boy Meets Web, Jul 2, 2005.

  1. I sometimes come across software on the web that says
    you must download more than 1 file.

    I asked my friend how? And he says - oh it's easy!
    just get winrar and attach all the files together once you download them.

    And when I ask him to explain to me how to do it, all he says is ... Look, I
    figured it out by myself. So can you!

    But I can't! I do not know how!

    Can someone just please explain to me in easy to understand ... step-by-step
    terms ... how I would go about downloading more than one file ... let's say
    6
    files ... and them connecting them using winwar - to make 1 file?

    Thanks so Much!!

    Boy

    http://www.usenet.com

    Boy Meets Web, Jul 2, 2005

  2. Boy Meets Web

    >Andy Guest

    On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 02:31:33 -0700,
    "Boy Meets Web" <> wrote:

    >>:|I sometimes come across software on the web that says
    >>:|you must download more than 1 file.
    >>:|
    >>:|I asked my friend how? And he says - oh it's easy!
    >>:|just get winrar and attach all the files together once you download them.
    >>:|
    >>:|And when I ask him to explain to me how to do it, all he says is ... Look, I
    >>:|figured it out by myself. So can you!
    >>:|
    >>:|But I can't! I do not know how!
    >>:|
    >>:|Can someone just please explain to me in easy to understand ... step-by-step
    >>:|terms ... how I would go about downloading more than one file ... let's say
    >>:|6
    >>:|files ... and them connecting them using winwar - to make 1 file?

    Download and install WinRAR.

    When you do this the .rar extension on your segments are associated
    with that program.

    Download all the rar files. Find them in Windows Explorer and double
    click on the first one. That will start WinRAR and it will process
    the files.

    After you have done this once it is all so simple. It is the 'first
    time' that seems complicated.

    >Andy, Jul 2, 2005

  3. Boy Meets Web

    gangle Guest

    "Boy Meets Web" wrote
    > I sometimes come across software on the web that says
    > you must download more than 1 file.
    >
    > I asked my friend how? And he says - oh it's easy!
    > just get winrar and attach all the files together once you download them.
    >
    > And when I ask him to explain to me how to do it, all he says is ... Look, I
    > figured it out by myself. So can you!
    >
    > But I can't! I do not know how!
    >
    > Can someone just please explain to me in easy to understand ... step-by-step
    > terms ... how I would go about downloading more than one file ... let's say
    > 6
    > files ... and them connecting them using winwar - to make 1 file?
    >
    > Thanks so Much!!

    Even though your question is about WinRar, because
    you are using OE, read ALL of my canned answer, and
    be sure to follow the link to the Rar tutorial:

    To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
    click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
    click each of the remaining parts. When you have
    highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
    "Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
    order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
    When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
    a window will appear with the File Icon in the
    bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
    line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
    "save as" and, within the browser window that
    appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
    save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
    PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: In OE4 it is possible to download
    a multi-part binary while simultaneously reading or
    posting to other NGs, or reading/sending email -- But:
    in the "upgraded" OE5 & 6, downloading a multi-part file
    makes the program UNUSABLE for most other functions
    while the process goes on; so, if you frequently want to
    download multi-part binary files, it's more practical
    to use a dedicated news reading and posting program,
    such as Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
    or Xnews (free):
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    or Gravity (free):
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
    for downloading binaries.
    Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
    for downloading binaries (no text):
    http://www.newsbin.com/ .
    You could still use OE 4, 5, or 6 as an email program
    and to view/post to text-only NGs, while using one of
    the above programs to retrieve binaries.

    About yEnc:

    yEnc is a type of binary-to-text encoding that has much
    less text "overhead" (about 3% more than the actual file
    size) than Uuencoded files (about 30% more than actual
    file size). For example, a 10 MB video file will be -- when
    converted to text for uploading and downloading:
    With yEnc: 10.3 MB -- With Uuencoding: 13 MB.
    So, it's easy to see why it's more efficient for both
    uploaders and downloaders to use yEnc.
    Unfortunately, OE does not internally decode yEnc
    encoded binaries, and never will because Microsoft
    just doesn't give a shit about OE as a newsreader.
    You must use a 3rd-party program to achieve this, the
    easiest being yProxy:
    http://www.brawnylads.com/software/ , but 3rd-party
    software is cumbersome at best. Since most multipart
    binaries are uploaded using yEnc, you really need to
    install and learn to use a dedicated news reader that
    decodes yEnc internally -- see the list above above
    (or do a search for "newsreaders").

    About RARs and PARs:

    RAR is widely used to archive multimedia type files (.avi,
    ..mpg, .mov, .rm, etc.) splitting them into sequentially
    numbered RAR parts. You need WinRar to decompress
    and reassemble the archive so that the multimedia file
    can be extracted:
    http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
    (shareware, but always usable, even after the trial period).
    Tutorial:
    http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=5

    PAR or PAR2 files are "wild card" type files used to
    replace any RAR files that are incomplete/missing
    due to poor propagation by a news server.
    Tutorial:
    http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=6

    Also, if you're going to download a lot of
    binaries, it's good to subscribe to a premium
    news service that has high article completion
    and long article retention -- the gold standard
    of premium news service being Giganews
    (close to 100% article completion -- Par files
    almost never needed; up to *50 days* retention):
    http://www.giganews.com/
    A bit lesser, but "good" news service is Easynews:
    http://www.easynews.com/

    So, to sum up, what you need is:

    1--A "real," yEnc-capable newsreader

    2--WinRar

    3--Quickpar (to handle Par or Par2 files)

    and, optionally...

    4--An NFO (text file describing the binary upload) reader,
    such as the free Getinfo (here's a Direct Download link
    for that program:
    ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/utilmisc/getinfo.zip )

    5--Subscribe to a premium news service

    gangle, Jul 2, 2005
  4. Boy Meets Web

    Mike Easter Guest

    Boy Meets Web wrote:
    > I sometimes come across software on the web that says
    > you must download more than 1 file.

    You also frequently encounter rar files in newsgroup binaries, and those
    rar files are typically yEncoded, which your newsagent is not equipped
    to decode.

    If you dl rar files as rar files, the decompression can be performed
    with WinRar or other decompressors automagically by doubleclicking the
    first file of the archive, and the file association will open the
    decompressor which can associate the other files in the archive.

    If you encounter rar files yEncoded in binary newsgroups there's another
    important step before un-rar/ing.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 2, 2005