    received packets.

    Thank you for your help in advance.

    supriya
    kiny, Jul 6, 2006

  2. kiny

    Guest

    "kiny" <> wrote:

    |>hi all,
    |>
    |>I am trying to use winpcap to capture, send packets.
    |>
    |>I found code from code project which uses dotnetWinpCap.dll for this
    |>purpose. but it is not recognizing any packets, when ReceivePacket
    |>method is called. can any one please tell me why it doesn't recognize.
    |>
    |>is there any other way to capture, send packets and create log for the
    |>received packets.

    This just on DIGG.com
    Packet School 101
    http://www.chrissanders.org/?p=47

    " As a lot of you may already know, there have been some issues with
    WinPcap and version skew, as in different versions of the driver being
    required for different pieces of software to work with it. This being
    the case, I reccomend you to install the version of WinPcap that comes
    with Ethereal even if you already have a version of this driver
    installed. This will help to prevent any possible issues in the
    future."

    --
    http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/dudefalling.php
    , Jul 6, 2006

  3. kiny

    why? Guest

    On 5 Jul 2006 17:41:19 -0700, kiny wrote:

    >hi all,
    >
    >I am trying to use winpcap to capture, send packets.
    >
    >I found code from code project which uses dotnetWinpCap.dll for this

    That will be the stuff dated 2003
    www.codeproject.com/dotnet/dotnetwinpcap.asp
    or maybe even the same 0project dated 2004 from
    http://www.tutorialmaniacs.com/packet-sniffing-with-winpcap-functions-ported-to-a-.net-library.html
    by the same author that links to the 1st :)

    The message board has some posts, although it look like a dead project.

    >purpose. but it is not recognizing any packets, when ReceivePacket
    >method is called. can any one please tell me why it doesn't recognize.

    No, as you must by doing what you are attempting realise it's not
    exactly a trivial exercise or answer. The lack of detail you provided is
    not helpful either.

    >is there any other way to capture, send packets and create log for the
    >received packets.
    >
    >Thank you for your help in advance.

    You would have started at
    http://www.winpcap.org/
    then you would have downloaded some of the open source code and looked
    at how it works.

    Not forgetting all the documentation, examples IIRC came in the
    developer pack.

    Oh and just looking the .NET stuff in the additional docs and papers
    section.

    Maybe the ethereal developer list, should be someone there that could
    give some pointer where else to look.

    What ever you do, source code , data out / data in , error messages
    always help.

    Just saying it's not working or doing anything is useless.

    Me
    why?, Jul 6, 2006
  4. kiny

    kiny Guest

    thanks for the replies.

    I did see the documentation and the sample code provided in the
    winpcap.org.

    yes it is the same .net project. I couldn't find much
    help/documentation for the .net dll.

    iam trying to analyze an IDS. so i am planning to use ethereal to
    capture packets. I thought of using dotnetwinpcap.dll to send packet. I
    am also trying to create a log for the packets which sucessfully passes
    through the IDS, so that I can evaluvate the IDS.
    I am a new B to winpcap,packets,IDS. I couldn't figure out why the dll
    is not recognizing packets.
    any ideas about this is much appreciated.
    kiny, Jul 7, 2006
  5. kiny

    why? Guest

    On 7 Jul 2006 10:42:08 -0700, kiny wrote:

    >thanks for the replies.
    >
    >I did see the documentation and the sample code provided in the
    >winpcap.org.

    Stick to that , rather than dotnetwinpcap.

    >yes it is the same .net project. I couldn't find much
    >help/documentation for the .net dll.
    >
    >iam trying to analyze an IDS. so i am planning to use ethereal to
    >capture packets. I thought of using dotnetwinpcap.dll to send packet. I
    >am also trying to create a log for the packets which sucessfully passes
    >through the IDS, so that I can evaluvate the IDS.
    >I am a new B to winpcap,packets,IDS. I couldn't figure out why the dll
    >is not recognizing packets.
    >any ideas about this is much appreciated.

    There are lots more exapmles / apps in C/C++ source code for generating
    packets.

    It's been a long time since I looked but there are quite a lot of
    generators , www.google.com , mailing lists etc.

    The only thing I have now is NAI Sniffer Pro and it's built in
    generator, that's only because it's what's used at work.

    In fact is has a very nice testing facility, record some traffic and
    either replay it internally as a loopback or send back out on the wire.
    This is great for test setups, as the same data set is repeatable.

    Me
    why?, Jul 9, 2006