Using WiFi Router As WAP?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by (PeteCresswell), Feb 21, 2009.

  1. I've got a LinkSys WRT310N gigabit wireless router unused.

    I've also got a major dead spot in the living room of our house.

    Two questions:
    1) Is there some way to configure this thing so it's just
    another WAP? I'd run Ethernet to the living room,
    then plug the WRT301N into said Ethernet.

    I've already got a wireless network working out of
    my D-Link DIR-655 gigabit wireless router.

    The existing wireless network's SSID is "Hui_Nalu" and
    it uses WPA encryption.

    2) If I'm able to set up the WRT310N as another WAP,
    can I do it in such a way that it's on the same SSID
    with the same WPA key? The idea being tb able to
    seamlessly connect with a given handheld or laptop
    anywhere in the house and maybe even walk from
    one WAP's coverage into the other's without losing
    connectivity.
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Feb 21, 2009

  2. Per (PeteCresswell):
    >1) Is there some way to configure this thing so it's just
    > another WAP?

    Sorry, that first question was dumb: turn off DHCP and assign it
    an IP address within the router's pool. Already addressed in
    somebody's reply to one of my other posts.

    But the second questions still stands.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Feb 21, 2009

  3. Use the same SSID and encryption type and key. Do use a different channel on
    each device, ie. 1 and 6 for example or 1 and 11.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Feb 21, 2009
  4. Hi
    Configure it like this. Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access
    Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Choose the Wireless parameters as Al posted above.
    Beware that in most cases no matter what you do you would Not get seamless
    Wireless service when using Entry Level Wireless hardware.
    Many times it get stuck with the initial logon and would stay with it until
    the signal totally gone.
    I.e. if you walk around and the second signal become stronger than the first
    it would stay with the first weak signal.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 22, 2009
  5. (PeteCresswell)

    James Egan Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:50:41 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    wrote:

    >1) Is there some way to configure this thing so it's just
    > another WAP? I'd run Ethernet to the living room,
    > then plug the WRT301N into said Ethernet.
    >
    > I've already got a wireless network working out of
    > my D-Link DIR-655 gigabit wireless router.
    >
    > The existing wireless network's SSID is "Hui_Nalu" and
    > it uses WPA encryption.

    I don't know with the Linksys firmware but you certainly can if you
    install the dd-wrt firmware

    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

    Jim.

    James Egan, Feb 22, 2009
  6. (PeteCresswell)

    deerslayer Guest

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > Configure it like this. Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an
    > Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    Useless drivel. No worthy technical information at all and filled with
    grammatical errors as well.

    deerslayer, Mar 1, 2009
  7. (PeteCresswell)

    Barb Bowman Guest

    I don't usually respond to flames, but I'm breaking this rule

    1. thousands of people have been helped by the content
    2. how do you know that English is Jack's first/native language?
    3. take a good look at
    https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Jack and then do a Google
    search.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Mar 2, 2009
  8. (PeteCresswell)

    Gordon Guest

    Barb Bowman wrote:
    > I don't usually respond to flames, but I'm breaking this rule
    >
    > 1. thousands of people have been helped by the content
    > 2. how do you know that English is Jack's first/native language?

    Content looked perfectly OK to me.....

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level

    Gordon, Mar 2, 2009
  9. (PeteCresswell)

    James Egan Guest

    On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 11:35:36 +0000, Gordon <> wrote:

    >Barb Bowman wrote:
    >> I don't usually respond to flames, but I'm breaking this rule
    >>
    >> 1. thousands of people have been helped by the content
    >> 2. how do you know that English is Jack's first/native language?

    >Content looked perfectly OK to me.....

    There's nothing wrong with the content on the page . However, the page
    is about adding a wireless functionality to a network rather than
    adding a second access point to an already wireless network which is
    the issue at hand.

    Jim.

    James Egan, Mar 6, 2009
  10. (PeteCresswell)

    Gordon Guest

    James Egan wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 11:35:36 +0000, Gordon <> wrote:
    >
    >> Barb Bowman wrote:
    >>> I don't usually respond to flames, but I'm breaking this rule
    >>>
    >>> 1. thousands of people have been helped by the content
    >>> 2. how do you know that English is Jack's first/native language?

    >> Content looked perfectly OK to me.....

    > There's nothing wrong with the content on the page . However, the page
    > is about adding a wireless functionality to a network rather than
    > adding a second access point to an already wireless network which is
    > the issue at hand.
    >

    > Jim.

    So extrapolate.

    --
    Asking a question?
    your OS, Service Pack level

    Gordon, Mar 6, 2009
  11. (PeteCresswell)

    James Egan Guest

    On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 08:12:10 +0000, Gordon <> wrote:

    >So extrapolate.

    Not possible. How are you supposed to decide whether or not to use the
    same SSID/encryption and the same or different channels based on
    information about how to build a single wireless access point into a
    wired network?

    It may be on the website somewhere but it's not that page.

    Jim.

    James Egan, Mar 6, 2009
  12. (PeteCresswell)

    James Egan Guest

    On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 08:50:06 +0000, James Egan <>
    wrote:

    >Not possible. How are you supposed to decide whether or not to use the
    >same SSID/encryption and the same or different channels based on
    >information about how to build a single wireless access point into a
    >wired network?

    Okay. I see that this missing info was posted higher up in the thread
    and snipped out. Please disregard and apologies to Mr Jack if he feels
    one is due.

    Jim.

    James Egan, Mar 6, 2009
  13. (PeteCresswell)

    Barb Bowman Guest

    at a 50,000 foot level

    1. wireless roaming - add another device as a repeater, same SSID,
    same encryption, different channel. must be hard wired in to
    network. if the second device is a router, it needs to be configured
    as a WAP which usually means turning off DHCP and NAT.

    2. wireless repeater via WDS. same channel, same SSID, same
    encryption. halves the signal as it repeats in both directions. if
    the second device is a router, it needs to be configured as a WAP
    which usually means turning off DHCP and NAT. probably won't work
    between a D-Link and a Linksys because there are different chipsets
    in the radios.

    Barb Bowman, Mar 6, 2009
  14. (PeteCresswell)

    James Egan Guest

    On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 05:26:23 -0500, Barb Bowman <>
    wrote:

    >2. wireless repeater via WDS. same channel, same SSID, same
    >encryption. halves the signal as it repeats in both directions. if
    >the second device is a router, it needs to be configured as a WAP
    >which usually means turning off DHCP and NAT. probably won't work
    >between a D-Link and a Linksys because there are different chipsets
    >in the radios.

    This is similar to the setup I use myself with a netgear dg834gt
    (dgteam firmware) and linksys wrt54g (dd-wrt firmware) which works
    okay. Are you saying that this only works because they both use
    broadcom chipsets or did you mean something else specifically to do
    with the radio?

    Jim.

    James Egan, Mar 6, 2009
  15. (PeteCresswell)

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Mar 6, 2009
  16. (PeteCresswell)

    James Egan Guest

    On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 10:13:15 -0500, Barb Bowman <>
    wrote:

    >yes, indeed - same chipset = should work.

    Thanks. I'll bear that in mind when considering a replacement should
    one of them fail.

    Jim.

    James Egan, Mar 6, 2009