Using VoIP phones directly to one another.. ..

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by tony sayer, Aug 14, 2011.

  1. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    Just wonder if anyone has done this and if so quite how did U do it..

    We need to have a VoIP phone at one end of a circuit this goes to a
    router at end A with a VPN to end B. At end B there is an ATA which then
    goes to a phone line to radio converter when controls a Two way radio
    system.

    Operation would be end A would pick up their phone and dial distant end
    a simple number as possible or a preset dial.. Phone line rings at other
    end (B) phone to radio device answers that " incoming call" and then
    puts radio system on air and conversation goes ahead radio is in
    permanent transmit for call duration.

    When Radio line calls controller radio has a simple device set up to
    detect a a 5 tone sequence .. radio to phone device can size the line
    and dial out to end A thus ringing that phone..

    I presume it is possible to connect Two VoIP devices end to end over a
    VPN without an asterisk or similar unit in or on the way?..

    cheers.....
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Aug 14, 2011

  2. In article <>,
    tony sayer <> wrote:

    >Just wonder if anyone has done this and if so quite how did U do it..
    >
    >We need to have a VoIP phone at one end of a circuit this goes to a
    >router at end A with a VPN to end B. At end B there is an ATA which then
    >goes to a phone line to radio converter when controls a Two way radio
    >system.
    >
    >Operation would be end A would pick up their phone and dial distant end
    >a simple number as possible or a preset dial.. Phone line rings at other
    >end (B) phone to radio device answers that " incoming call" and then
    >puts radio system on air and conversation goes ahead radio is in
    >permanent transmit for call duration.
    >
    >When Radio line calls controller radio has a simple device set up to
    >detect a a 5 tone sequence .. radio to phone device can size the line
    >and dial out to end A thus ringing that phone..
    >
    >I presume it is possible to connect Two VoIP devices end to end over a
    >VPN without an asterisk or similar unit in or on the way?..

    Yes, it's possible - if they're on the same LAN or 2 different LANs
    routed, or bridged by a VPN - the key is no NAT between the LANs.

    Then you consult each phones/ata manual to work out how to do direct IP
    dialling - one some phones you simply dial the IP address as a 12-digit
    string - e.g. 192168001002 to dial 192.168.1.2...

    You may need to consult the phone/ata manual to allow it to recieve direct
    connections too.

    Some phones can pre-dial a fixed number/IP when you lift the handset too
    (batphone mode) or have built-in speed-dials, etc.

    So once the network is working, it boils down to RTFM :)

    (I've done this with Grandstreams, but I'm sure other phones allow it too)

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Aug 14, 2011

  3. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Jono
    <> scribeth thus
    >tony sayer wrote :
    >> Just wonder if anyone has done this and if so quite how did U do it..
    >>
    >> We need to have a VoIP phone at one end of a circuit this goes to a
    >> router at end A with a VPN to end B. At end B there is an ATA which then
    >> goes to a phone line to radio converter when controls a Two way radio
    >> system.
    >>
    >> Operation would be end A would pick up their phone and dial distant end
    >> a simple number as possible or a preset dial.. Phone line rings at other
    >> end (B) phone to radio device answers that " incoming call" and then
    >> puts radio system on air and conversation goes ahead radio is in
    >> permanent transmit for call duration.
    >>
    >> When Radio line calls controller radio has a simple device set up to
    >> detect a a 5 tone sequence .. radio to phone device can size the line
    >> and dial out to end A thus ringing that phone..
    >>
    >> I presume it is possible to connect Two VoIP devices end to end over a
    >> VPN without an asterisk or similar unit in or on the way?..
    >>
    >> cheers.....

    >Take a look at these for some specific examples relating to
    >Linksys/Cisco SPA kit. They're a bit old now, however, they should
    >point you in the right direction.
    >
    ><http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/spa_backtoback_1x_spa3000_and_1x_spa1001.pdf>
    >
    ><http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/spa_backtoback_2x_spa3000.pdf>
    >
    ><http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/spa_backtoback_2x_spa3000_and_1x_spa2000.pdf>

    Thanks Jono and Gordon looks like it will do the job:)....

    Cheers...
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Aug 15, 2011
  4. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    >Some phones can pre-dial a fixed number/IP when you lift the handset too
    >(batphone mode) or have built-in speed-dials, etc.
    >
    >So once the network is working, it boils down to RTFM :)
    >
    >(I've done this with Grandstreams, but I'm sure other phones allow it too)
    >
    >Gordon

    Just as a follow up to the above anyone know if you can get a VoIP fone
    to call Two other phones (VoIP ones that is) numbers at the once like
    dialling up a conference call as it were?..

    The phones to be called will auto answer...
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Sep 5, 2011
  5. In article <>,
    tony sayer <> wrote:
    >>Some phones can pre-dial a fixed number/IP when you lift the handset too
    >>(batphone mode) or have built-in speed-dials, etc.
    >>
    >>So once the network is working, it boils down to RTFM :)
    >>
    >>(I've done this with Grandstreams, but I'm sure other phones allow it too)
    >>
    >>Gordon

    >Just as a follow up to the above anyone know if you can get a VoIP fone
    >to call Two other phones (VoIP ones that is) numbers at the once like
    >dialling up a conference call as it were?..

    It's not sometimes I've seen...

    >The phones to be called will auto answer...

    You could - dial one phone via IP, then when that answers, put the call
    on hold, then dial the other phone via direct IP, then use the phones
    own conference facilities to join both together.

    But really - you need a little VoIP PBX to make life easy.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Sep 5, 2011
  6. In article <>,
    tony sayer <> writes:
    > Just as a follow up to the above anyone know if you can get a VoIP fone
    > to call Two other phones (VoIP ones that is) numbers at the once like
    > dialling up a conference call as it were?..
    >
    > The phones to be called will auto answer...

    The Safecom SDSIP-5000 phone can do this (the conferencing is done
    inside the phone, and it makes multiple SIP calls).

    My reservation would be that I've seen the lesser spec'ed SDSIP-3000
    mishandle registering over STUN (it keeps changing the local port,
    but will only accept calls on the originally specified local port,
    which isn't likely to work with some providers).
    I don't know if the SDSIP-5000 has the same issue - I haven't used
    it with STUN.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel
    Andrew Gabriel, Sep 5, 2011
  7. tony sayer

    Owain Guest

    On Sep 5, 2:39 pm, tony sayer wrote:
    > Just as a follow up to the above anyone know if you can get a VoIP fone
    > to call Two other phones (VoIP ones that is) numbers at the once like
    > dialling up a conference call as it were?..
    >
    > The phones to be called will auto answer...

    Yes.

    Multicast VoIP paging / public address (in the tannoy sense, not the
    IP sense)

    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk Paging and Intercom

    Owain
    Owain, Sep 5, 2011