    sytem? I would be pleased if someone could explain or give me a URL
    with this information.

    Thanks.

    reneluve, Jan 20, 2004

  2. reneluve

    Do not Guest

    (reneluve) wrote:

    >I am student in Telecommunication and I need information on how to use
    >VoIP in a LAN setting. So far all I'm getting is using VoIP over a WAN
    >via the internet. Is it possibe to configure the system to be used
    >just over the Local Area Network whereby calls from on side of the
    >network are routed over the data network (not the internet) to another
    >side of it.
    >In such a system would you need a gateway or a gatekeeper since the
    >packets remain in just the LAN? What actually do you need for such a
    >sytem? I would be pleased if someone could explain or give me a URL
    >with this information.
    >
    >Thanks.

    I'd like to know that too. If you get info post it here also.

    Do not, Jan 20, 2004

  3. reneluve

    Ian Guest

    "reneluve" <> wrote in message
    > I am student in Telecommunication and I need information on how to use
    > VoIP in a LAN setting. So far all I'm getting is using VoIP over a WAN
    > via the internet. Is it possibe to configure the system to be used
    > just over the Local Area Network whereby calls from on side of the
    > network are routed over the data network (not the internet) to another
    > side of it.
    > In such a system would you need a gateway or a gatekeeper since the
    > packets remain in just the LAN? What actually do you need for such a
    > sytem? I would be pleased if someone could explain or give me a URL
    > with this information.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi

    have a look at Cisco and Mitels websites to start.

    But as to gateways etc it depends on if you want to cal outside the LAN,
    Odds on you do so you will need a gateway and a call manager for call
    control etc.
    But dont get to bogged down Voip is only another way of moving encoded voice
    data between end points.

    Ian

    Ian, Jan 20, 2004
  4. reneluve

    v Guest

    hi
    > In such a system would you need a gateway or a gatekeeper since the
    > packets remain in just the LAN? What actually do you need for such a
    > sytem? I would be pleased if someone could explain or give me a URL
    > with this information.

    gatekeeper maps numbers,aliases or similar to ip-addresses and ports
    (or well-known ports), so if You have a static address name space in a
    LAN, one can make calls with an IP address, if Your phone supports this.
    You dont need a gateway, becuase the calls do not leave the IP network
    way of pots or isdn.
    w.

    v, Jan 20, 2004
  5. "reneluve" <> wrote in message
    > I am student in Telecommunication and I need information on how to use
    > VoIP in a LAN setting. So far all I'm getting is using VoIP over a WAN
    > via the internet. Is it possibe to configure the system to be used
    > just over the Local Area Network whereby calls from on side of the
    > network are routed over the data network (not the internet) to another
    > side of it.
    > In such a system would you need a gateway or a gatekeeper since the
    > packets remain in just the LAN? What actually do you need for such a
    > sytem? I would be pleased if someone could explain or give me a URL
    > with this information.

    SIP phones will generally work fine over a LAN (no gateway) provided there
    are no firewalls in the way.

    H.323 VoIP terminals generally won't work without a gateway.

    Older VoIP applications using proprietary protocols (instant messaging
    programs etc) generally won't work without a gateway. I'm not sure about
    more recent ones.

    Any computer that's behind a firewall or NAT router generally needs some
    sort of gateway, because it's invisible to the outside world and therefore
    can't receive incoming calls unless it has initiated a connection to an
    intermediary.

    --
    Phil McKerracher
    www.mckerracher.org

    Phil McKerracher, Jan 20, 2004
  6. "Phil McKerracher" <> wrote in

    > SIP phones will generally work fine over a LAN (no gateway) provided
    > there are no firewalls in the way.
    >
    > H.323 VoIP terminals generally won't work without a gateway.

    Don't you mean gatekeeper in the last sentence? Anyway, neither is true.
    Most phones have the ability to also "dial" IP addresses

    --
    Andreas

    Andreas Sikkema, Jan 21, 2004
  7. reneluve

    shope Guest

    "reneluve" <> wrote in message
    > I am student in Telecommunication and I need information on how to use
    > VoIP in a LAN setting. So far all I'm getting is using VoIP over a WAN
    > via the internet. Is it possibe to configure the system to be used
    > just over the Local Area Network whereby calls from on side of the
    > network are routed over the data network (not the internet) to another
    > side of it.

    Voip works over IP - doesnt matter whether it is a LAN or a WAN or something
    more complex.

    The protocols dont care that the transport is high speed, low loss and low
    latency, but it does simplify things for a designer since delays are lower,
    and QoS and call admission less of an issue with the much higher capacity of
    the LAN compared to the requirements of each call.

    In practice a lot of LAN based VoIP systems are pretending to be a PBX -
    normally this is called IP telephony, IP PBX or something similar.

    LAN IP telephony tends to use a higher bandwidth CODEC such as G.711 - not
    much point tryinh to compress down to 8k when bandwidth is not a limited
    resource.

    > In such a system would you need a gateway or a gatekeeper since the
    > packets remain in just the LAN? What actually do you need for such a
    > sytem? I would be pleased if someone could explain or give me a URL
    > with this information.

    Depends - gatekeepers are there for several reasons, some to do with call
    admission and bandwidth control which may not matter as much on a LAN, and
    others such as IP address mapping which are still useful.

    --
    Regards

    shope, Jan 21, 2004
  8. reneluve

    reneluve Guest

    thank you all for your advice,
    now what if I want to build the system myself just with traditional
    telephones each connected to a computer on the LAN. What could I use
    to create the interface (not a hardware) someone told me I could use
    TAPI 3.0 and configure it , I don't know much about that.

    regards.
    rene

    reneluve, Jan 22, 2004
  9. reneluve

    BMN Guest

    "reneluve" <> wrote in message
    > thank you all for your advice,
    > now what if I want to build the system myself just with traditional
    > telephones each connected to a computer on the LAN. What could I use
    > to create the interface (not a hardware) someone told me I could use
    > TAPI 3.0 and configure it , I don't know much about that.
    >
    > regards.
    > rene

    Not sure you could. You would need something to provide voltage and tone for
    the phone, effectively recreating the wheel here. Just use a softphone, or
    an actual IP phone (by the way most IP phones have a built in mini-switch so
    you only need one Ethernet port). An ATA would allow you to run a Telco
    conversation across a LAN, but why would you want to when you could just use
    a freeware softphone at each PC.

    BMN, Jan 23, 2004
  10. Hi,
    have you founded something to this topic? I´m a student in
    telecommunications too. i have the same problem.
    Are something in German?
    Perhaps you can write me on
    Ok? Thanks

    Andreas Herrmann, Jan 25, 2004