    ONE pc.... vs having say three "boxes"?

    Advice on what to buy or do?

    , Jul 16, 2003

  2. KLXrider Guest

    VMware is cheaper and takes up less space then an entire test lab.

    KLXrider, Jul 16, 2003

  3. billyw Guest

    if i was you i'd out a little more ram in the PC.

    i use vmware quite a lot. it's handy for fault finding with different OS set
    ups.
    i have 3 PC's as a lab, all running vmware so giving me up to 10 machines.

    it's a good tool

    billyw, Jul 16, 2003
  4. Guest

    >if i was you i'd out a little more ram in the PC.
    >
    >i use vmware quite a lot. it's handy for fault finding with different OS set
    >ups.
    >i have 3 PC's as a lab, all running vmware so giving me up to 10 machines.
    >
    >it's a good tool

    OK

    Im new to all this.

    having said that would you say the above is as good as
    a real test lab?

    Or....how does the below above compare to using VMWare?

    see linlk

    >MCSE: Windows 2000 Core Requirements Virtual Lab aren't bad -
    >
    >http://www.bookpool.com/.x/r7nrcrh5k4/sm/0782150195

    , Jul 16, 2003
  5. Guest

    >if i was you i'd out a little more ram in the PC.
    >
    >i use vmware quite a lot. it's handy for fault finding with different OS set
    >ups.
    >i have 3 PC's as a lab, all running vmware so giving me up to 10 machines.
    >
    >it's a good tool

    What version of VMWare should I buy?

    , Jul 16, 2003
  6. Hey,

    You can download a 30 day eval copy from their website and try it out and
    make sure you are comfortable with it. Haven't seen it sold at a discount
    anywhere so buying it direct is probably the best way to go. I've used it
    for years and it has been a great help in my cert studies.

    http://www.vmware.com/download/workstation.html

    Good luck,

    Kevin

    ------------------

    Kevin Bachelder

    Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) - Windows NT 4.0
    Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) - Windows 2000
    Citrix Certified Administrator (CCA)
    CompTIA A+ Certified Computer Repair Technician (A+)

    Kevin Bachelder, Jul 16, 2003
  7. Guest

    >Hey,
    >
    >You can download a 30 day eval copy from their website and try it out and
    >make sure you are comfortable with it. Haven't seen it sold at a discount
    >anywhere so buying it direct is probably the best way to go. I've used it
    >for years and it has been a great help in my cert studies.
    >
    >http://www.vmware.com/download/workstation.html
    >

    >Good luck,
    >
    >Kevin

    Thanks Kevin.... I will do that.

    But Im guessing what Im unclear on is how can VMWare be
    as useful as two or more real PCs?

    I mean...... how can you put multiple NICs in one
    machine running VMWare.....and do some of the things
    you can with two real PCs?

    I know that's a dumb question.... but Im confused
    obliviously! Ha

    , Jul 16, 2003
  8. billyw Guest

    try it.. it's basically like having 2 PC's in the one box

    billyw, Jul 16, 2003
  9. they emulate NIC, so if you go to your network connection, you'll see extra
    LAN connection :D
    its really a cool program

    Kian Wah, Lai, Jul 17, 2003