using Visual Studio .Net and IIS to create web apps

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Session, May 3, 2004.

  1. Session

    Session Guest

    Hello,

    I have a very embarassing problem. I was using Visual
    Studio .Net and IIS to create web apps, and all was
    working fine until I decided to create a subweb and in the
    process I accidentally removed the front page extensions
    from the default server. Since then I have not been able
    to run web apps, I keep getting an "Access denied" error
    everytime I try to launch my web apps. I tried the
    following:

    - configuring the extensions from the default server, and
    using the "check extentions" task. access groups were
    created on machine, and even though I put the ASPNET
    account in the groups, the problem still persists. I even
    put ASPNET in the Administrators group, to no avail.

    - I removed IIS and reinstalled it, but then VS .Net
    wanted me to reinstall the framework. What I ended up
    doing is removing IIS, .Net Framework, VS .Net, and
    reinstalling them in that order, to try to recreate the
    initial conditions. Still not working.

    Can someone guide me in fixing the problem, I'm not sure
    what to do next. Thanks

    Session
    Session, May 3, 2004

  2. Reinstall IIS (if not done already)
    Resintall the server extensions (can download the latest, if necessary)
    Configure the server extensions
    Run aspnet_regiis /i from the Framework directory.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), May 3, 2004

  3. Session

    Eric Guest

    Session wrote:

    > I have a very embarassing problem. I was using Visual
    > Studio .Net and IIS to create web apps, and all was
    > working fine until I decided to create a subweb and in the
    > process I accidentally removed the front page extensions
    > from the default server. Since then I have not been able
    > to run web apps, I keep getting an "Access denied" error
    > everytime I try to launch my web apps. I tried the
    > following:

    It's a well known problem - the Front Page Extensions are easy to
    corrupt by mistake. The fix is to re-install those Extensions. This is
    done by looking at the "details" of the IIS install in "Add/Remove
    Windows Components". I don't think you have to re-install anything else.

    The next release of VS will not require the Front Page Extensions.

    Eric
    Eric, May 4, 2004