Using Unimodem Full Duplex Audio Device for VOIP

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by j, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. j

    j Guest

    I have an "HSP56 MR" modem on my XP machine. When setting up the
    playback and record options in VOIP software I have "Modem #0 Handset
    Playback" as a playback device choice, and "Modem #0 Handset Record"
    as record device choice.

    However, when I choose "Test Hardware" with these devices selected, it
    responds that the sound hardware cannot play sounds. I have a
    standard wired phone attached.

    I haven't been able to find info regarding this on the web. This
    appears like a way to use existing handsets for VOIP calls - unless I
    am missing something... :)

    Is this even possible?

    Thanks a lot,

    j, Dec 27, 2003

  2. j wrote:

    > I have an "HSP56 MR" modem on my XP machine. When setting up the
    > playback and record options in VOIP software I have "Modem #0 Handset
    > Playback" as a playback device choice, and "Modem #0 Handset Record"
    > as record device choice.
    >
    > However, when I choose "Test Hardware" with these devices selected, it
    > responds that the sound hardware cannot play sounds. I have a
    > standard wired phone attached.

    Doesn't this type of Data/FAX/Voice modem require a sound card?

    > I haven't been able to find info regarding this on the web. This
    > appears like a way to use existing handsets for VOIP calls - unless I
    > am missing something... :)
    >
    > Is this even possible?
    >
    > Thanks a lot,

    root/administrator

    root/administrator, Dec 30, 2003

  3. j

    j7 Guest

    root/administrator wrote:
    > Doesn't this type of Data/FAX/Voice modem require a sound card?

    How I understand it.... this is a Modem Riser attached to my motherboard
    which also has integrated sound.
    -J

    j7, Jan 6, 2004
  4. IIRC, most voice modems require a sound system (either built-in or add-in)
    to operate to process voice.

    j7 wrote:

    > root/administrator wrote:
    > > Doesn't this type of Data/FAX/Voice modem require a sound card?

    > How I understand it.... this is a Modem Riser attached to my motherboard
    > which also has integrated sound.
    > -J
    >
    >> j wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have an "HSP56 MR" modem on my XP machine. When setting up the
    >>>playback and record options in VOIP software I have "Modem #0 Handset
    >>>Playback" as a playback device choice, and "Modem #0 Handset Record"
    >>>as record device choice.
    >>>
    >>>However, when I choose "Test Hardware" with these devices selected, it
    >>>responds that the sound hardware cannot play sounds. I have a
    >>>standard wired phone attached.
    >>>

    >> Doesn't this type of Data/FAX/Voice modem require a sound card?
    >>

    >>>I haven't been able to find info regarding this on the web. This
    >>>appears like a way to use existing handsets for VOIP calls - unless I
    >>>am missing something... :)
    >>>
    >>>Is this even possible?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks a lot,

    root/administrator