Using two PCs each with a Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Keith Archer, Aug 2, 2005.

  1. Keith Archer

    Keith Archer Guest

    I have just found a problem after having tried to set up a third PC with
    another MS Wireless Optical Desktop.

    Having connected up the new one (all three are the older 1.0A versions), I
    got interference from the new keyboard to one of the other two PCs.

    Now I find that both of the other PCs' keyboards are interfering with each
    other. No matter what I've tried, re-connecting, pressing the
    connect/channel button on each in various combinations, every time I get one
    keyboard to work, the input also appears on the other.

    I've removed the third one completely and disconnected the USB transciever
    device, but the keyboard problem on both of these is still happening,
    strangely though, the mice are fine!

    Any tips or ideas? Is this a know problem? Why all of a sudden has it
    started to happen after more than a year of working fine together?

    Puzzled,

    Keith

    Remove NOSPAM- to reply direct if you want to.
    Keith Archer, Aug 2, 2005

  2. Keith Archer

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 19:24:28 GMT, "Keith Archer" <> wrote:

    >I have just found a problem after having tried to set up a third PC with
    >another MS Wireless Optical Desktop.
    >
    >Having connected up the new one (all three are the older 1.0A versions), I
    >got interference from the new keyboard to one of the other two PCs.
    >
    >Now I find that both of the other PCs' keyboards are interfering with each
    >other. No matter what I've tried, re-connecting, pressing the
    >connect/channel button on each in various combinations, every time I get one
    >keyboard to work, the input also appears on the other.
    >
    >I've removed the third one completely and disconnected the USB transciever
    >device, but the keyboard problem on both of these is still happening,
    >strangely though, the mice are fine!
    >
    >Any tips or ideas? Is this a know problem? Why all of a sudden has it
    >started to happen after more than a year of working fine together?
    >
    >Puzzled,
    >
    >Keith
    >
    >Remove NOSPAM- to reply direct if you want to.

    PC #1
    Make sure the batteries are fresh, then press the sync button on the receiver. While the
    receiver is blinking, press the connect channel button in the bottom of the keyboard to sync it.
    Repeat for the mouse. This PC was easy to do and is done.

    PC #2
    Repeat the above steps until the keyboard & mouse aren't activiting PC #1. This PC could take
    several tries before you get the keyboard & mouse on their own channel.

    PC #3
    Repeat the above steps until the keyboard & mouse aren't activiting PC #1 or PC #2. This PC
    could take quite a while before you get the keyboard & mouse on their own channel.
    Unk, Aug 2, 2005

  3. Keith Archer

    Keith Archer Guest

    I just spen the last hour and a half doing what you suggested.

    I can get one system working fine, mouse and keyboard OK, but the other
    system's keyboard stops.

    If I change channel, it works again, only to stop the first one. I change
    channel, and now one keyboard operate both systems at the same time.

    Reconnecting the first works OK, but the second stops working. I change
    channel and now this keyboard controls both PCs.

    If I reconnect the second, it works, the first stops. I tried reconnecting
    again, the first still not working, over and over and over.

    I tried the reverse too - using the second as the working system. Same
    results.

    I go back to the first and reconnect - it works, but the second one stops. I
    change channel and I get one keyboard controlling both. I reconnect either
    one, and the other keyboard stops again. I reconnect a further few times and
    I go back to where one works OK, the other not. Reconnecting the other stops
    the first again, and so on.

    I'm getting combinations of both PCs taking input from one keyboard, and one
    keyboard working, the other not (and often one working, and the other
    producing odd results as a key is pressed).

    I'm stuck.

    I've had to fit one PC with a PS/2 keyboard and uninstall the HID device
    from the device manager. This took two goes, as the first HID devicelisted
    was the mouse and the second one the keyboard. If I reconnect, I'm sure the
    HID device reappeared, and I'm back to square one, with both PC's taking
    inputs again from one keyboard.

    I use Logitech wireless devices at the office, and I'm just about to replace
    these MS ones with the logitech after the frustrating evening. I just can't
    understand what I've done to upset the status quo from a perfectly good
    working system this morning, and wish I could jet get back to it.

    Any other input gratefully received.

    Keith Archer, Aug 2, 2005