using translate as a REAL end-to-end x25 to tcp gateway?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by RedRat, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. RedRat

    RedRat Guest

    Hi all,

    I've a 2611xm that I want to use has a REAL end-to-end x25<->TCP
    gateway. I need to receive a lot of small (few bytes) x25 calls and
    translate them to TCP connections handled by a Server.

    The problem is that it seems the Cisco translate command is NOT a
    "gateway". What do I mean by end-to-end gateway? I mean the real
    translation of x25<->TCP signalling, ex. Call Setup -> SYN, RR -> ACK, etc.

    Next I present the MSC of what I'm seeing in my cisco with the following
    translate line on my running config,

    "translate x25 10105 tcp 10.154.0.190 port 10023 stream quiet"

    When the server is listenning on port 10023:

    Server | CISCO | PSDN
    TCP TCP x25 x25
    | | |<--CallSetup(10105)----|
    | | |---CallConf----------->|
    |<----SYN-------|<------| |
    |-----SYNACK--->|buffer?|<-----DATA-------------|
    |<----ACK-------| |------RR-------------->|
    |<-----DATA-----| |<-----DATA-------------|
    |<-----DATA-----| |------RR-------------->|
    |------ACK----->| |<---CallClear----------|
    | | |----ClearConf--------->|
    |<----FIN-------| | |
    |-----FINACK--->| | |
    |-----FIN------>| | |
    |<----FINACK----| | |

    This works OK althoug it's not a REAL end-to-end gateway because the x25
    call is terminated AT and BY the Cisco. Data is acknowledge by the x25
    terminating PAD on the cisco and not by the remote TCP stack on the Server.

    When the server is DOWN:

    Server | CISCO | PSDN
    TCP TCP x25 x25
    | | |<--CallSetup(10105)----|
    | | |---CallConf----------->|
    |<----SYN-------|<------| |
    | |buffer?|<-----DATA-------------|
    | | |------RR-------------->|
    | | |<-----DATA-------------|
    | | |------RR-------------->|
    | Timeout->|~3s--->|---CallClear---------->|
    | | |<---ClearConf----------|

    Here is the BIG problem! If my server is down or there is a network
    problem the data is acknowledge halfway by the x25 PAD but NEVER
    delivered to the Server. The x25 calling party "thinks" the data was
    successfully delivered, which is dead wrong! I need to guarantee that
    ALL data is delivered, no matter how remote is the chance that the
    Server is down/unreachable.

    What I was expecting from "translate" to do was:

    (Server DOWN)

    Server | CISCO | PSDN
    TCP TCP x25 x25
    |<----SYN-------| |<--CallSetup(10105)----|
    | Timeout->|------>|---CallClear---------->|

    (Server UP)

    Server | CISCO | PSDN
    TCP TCP x25 x25
    |<----SYN-------|<------|<--CallSetup(10105)----|
    |-----SYNACK--->|------>|---CallConf----------->|
    |<----ACK-------| |
    |<----DATA------|<------|<-----DATA-------------|
    |-----ACK------>|------>|------RR-------------->|
    |<----DATA------|<------|<-----DATA-------------|
    |-----ACK------>|------>|------RR-------------->|
    |<----FIN-------|<------|<---CallClear----------|
    |-----FINACK--->| | |
    |-----FIN------>|------>|----ClearConf--------->|
    |<----FINACK----| | |

    Is there a way to modify/configure the translate behavior to suite my needs?

    Thanks in advance to all,

    RLaskas

    RedRat, Feb 1, 2006

  2. If you turn on TCP keepalives on the router that's doing the
    protocol translation, does this solve the problem of the router
    being aware of the case where the TCP server has gone unreachable?

    Aaron

    ---

    ~ Hi all,
    ~