    Thanks

    DD
    , Mar 7, 2010

  2. Bill Blanton Guest

    On 3/6/2010 20:17, wrote:
    > I have a dual boot setup. Win98se on drive C: Win2000 on drive D:
    > I use Win98 more than win2k, and I have Mozilla Thunderbird installed
    > in Win98, but sometimes I go online using Win2000, because some sites
    > refuse my older browsers. I loaded the .exe from Thunderbird located
    > in the c:\program files\mozilla\thunderbird (the one installed to
    > Win98). It could not find the email folder and wanted me to setup
    > email accounts. I DO NOT want to install it twice and thus have to
    > download and maintain two instances of the same thing. I dont mind
    > having separate browsers and other software, but downloading email
    > twice would be a major pain. How can I use the same mailbox? Even if
    > I had to install thunderbird twice (but I hope not), I still want the
    > same mailbox. How od I do this? And where is the email located
    > anyhow. It does not appear to be located in any of the sub-folders
    > within c:\program files\mozilla\thunderbird.

    Whether you use the same folder for your mail data or not, you are still
    going to have to "install it twice". There's no way around that.

    I don't know what version you're using, but look for the config editor
    under "tools". My own local folder (TB 3.x) is listed under the
    mail.server2.directory value.

    I've never tried to change it, so you're on your own. You could probably
    get a concrete answer in a TB newsgroup.
    Bill Blanton, Mar 7, 2010

  3. MEB Guest

    Re: Using Thunderbird on TWO Operating Systems

    On 03/06/2010 08:17 PM, wrote:
    > I have a dual boot setup. Win98se on drive C: Win2000 on drive D:
    > I use Win98 more than win2k, and I have Mozilla Thunderbird installed
    > in Win98, but sometimes I go online using Win2000, because some sites
    > refuse my older browsers. I loaded the .exe from Thunderbird located
    > in the c:\program files\mozilla\thunderbird (the one installed to
    > Win98). It could not find the email folder and wanted me to setup
    > email accounts. I DO NOT want to install it twice and thus have to
    > download and maintain two instances of the same thing. I dont mind
    > having separate browsers and other software, but downloading email
    > twice would be a major pain. How can I use the same mailbox? Even if
    > I had to install thunderbird twice (but I hope not), I still want the
    > same mailbox. How od I do this? And where is the email located
    > anyhow. It does not appear to be located in any of the sub-folders
    > within c:\program files\mozilla\thunderbird.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > DD

    Sorry, to use Thunderbird on two different operating systems requires
    you install it into both. The reason is the registry settings and
    inclusions on Win9X needs to run Thunderbird are not the same as in
    Win2K hives, nor are file locations.

    You can, however, use the same mail storage/account folder, as long as
    it is on a partition and file system which both can access. You do this
    AFTER you setup the accounts on each machine and BEFORE downloading any
    messages by opening the Account Settings [under Edit or by right
    clicking the account] and directing the storage area to the shared
    folder/directory on the mutually accessible partition/drive. It is best
    to create specific sub-folders *for each account* used, and directing to
    those, ex. d:\mail\Google\. This can also be done via the Account
    Settings menu. DO NOT [my rec. others may feel differently] use the
    default locations for either OS as the shared folder on the other or you
    may end up with file sharing issues or corruption issues.
    You can also do this by manually editing the userprefs.js on both OSs
    to the mutually accessible folder(s).
    Make sure, though, that you use the shared drive and folder location as
    it appears within the respective OS or the folder will not be located.

    As for where it would normally be stored, you would normally find this
    in Win9X under C;\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Thunderbird\Profiles\
    xxxxxxxx .default\ , W2K is C:\Documents and Settings\[User
    Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx .default\

    http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/edit

    --
    MEB
    http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
    MEB, Mar 7, 2010
  4. 98 Guy Guest

    wrote:

    > I have a dual boot setup. Win98se on drive C: Win2000 on drive D:
    > I use Win98 more than win2k, and I have Mozilla Thunderbird
    > installed in Win98, but sometimes I go online using Win2000,
    > because some sites refuse my older browsers.

    Why don't you try running Firefox 2.0.0.20 on your win-98 side?

    There's no websites I've ever come across that had a problem with that
    browser.
    98 Guy, Mar 7, 2010
  5. MEB Guest

    On 03/07/2010 08:51 AM, 98 Guy wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have a dual boot setup. Win98se on drive C: Win2000 on drive D:
    >> I use Win98 more than win2k, and I have Mozilla Thunderbird
    >> installed in Win98, but sometimes I go online using Win2000,
    >> because some sites refuse my older browsers.

    > Why don't you try running Firefox 2.0.0.20 on your win-98 side?
    >
    > There's no websites I've ever come across that had a problem with that
    > browser.

    Except that would put an outdated and vulnerable browser into a system
    that should NOT be nor needs to be running one. Opera is still usable
    and still being developed. And there are others...

    Oh wait I forgot you're trying to get more Win9X users vulnerable to
    add into botnets... my bad... wouldn't want to interfere with your
    criminal enterprise...

    MEB, Mar 7, 2010
  6. 98 Guy Guest

    MEB wrote:

    > >> but sometimes I go online using Win2000, because some sites
    > >> refuse my older browsers.

    > > Why don't you try running Firefox 2.0.0.20 on your win-98 side?

    > Except that would put an outdated and vulnerable browser into a
    > system that should NOT be nor needs to be running one. Opera is
    > still usable and still being developed. And there are others...

    Then why didn't you simply recommend that the OP use Opera on their
    win-98 side as a remedy or alternative to using win-2k, thereby avoiding
    the problems or issues of having a dual-boot system?
    98 Guy, Mar 8, 2010
  7. MEB Guest

    On 03/08/2010 09:36 AM, 98 Guy wrote:

    >>> Why don't you try running Firefox 2.0.0.20 on your win-98 side?

    >> Except that would put an outdated and vulnerable browser into a
    >> system that should NOT be nor needs to be running one. Opera is
    >> still usable and still being developed. And there are others...

    > Then why didn't you simply recommend that the OP use Opera on their
    > win-98 side as a remedy or alternative to using win-2k, thereby avoiding
    > the problems or issues of having a dual-boot system?

    Because I want people to wake up to parties such as yourself that
    recommend things like not using AV, firewalls, installing NT files into
    Win9X/ME, and using vulnerable Web applications: CLAIMING you know these
    are un-needed; CLAIMING you haven't found any vulnerabilities; with
    recommendations to download pirated software; that torrents are safe and
    like activities; and all the other techniques that are used by parties
    engaged in ensuring Windows users ARE vulnerable, to the point of
    constantly placing the exploits on-line so EVERYONE has the exploit to
    cover-up the original creators and users' tracks, to increase the
    difficulty by those who prosecute these activities. That's people like
    you 98 Guy... people engaged in criminal enterprises and/or activities;
    WE need your type properly identified EVERYWHERE.

    MEB, Mar 8, 2010